Thoughts on Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2

Dion

FNG
Finally pulled the trigger on this tent, ordered online at REI (on sale for $250, didn't see the one in the classifieds here). At around 3lbs plus 5-6oz for the footprint, this seems like a good deal on a lightweight tent. I couldn't find any real bad reviews so I was wondering what experiences anyone here may have.

The most extreme I'll be using this is around 12k during elk season.

Thanks in advance!!!

Dion

I have one, and like most three season tents they aren't made for abuse. If you baby it it's a great tent, and stands up to pretty good wind loads. I wouldn't use mine for rifle hunting in cold weather. For archery elk earlier season it worked fine for me.

I went floor less this year with a wood stove and I'm not looking back. For me it's nice to crank up a little fire to dry out my clothes. Plus the fire just is an overall morale booster for me.

A buddy has one and he advised I go with the Copper Spur 2...which I did for my light tent. The CS does weigh more, but I like the nylon coming further up the side of the tent...but that's for here where wind and rain are the norm and a little extra protection under the fly are what I had in mind. If you're not in a driving sideways rain, I'd not think the lower mesh would be an issue.

Love mine but front entry is a pain in the ass.

Kept me dry during 8 days of pouring down rain.

I like mine as well but you need to keep the zippers clean and don't horse them around, I have already had the zipper heads replaced after 3 years.

X2 on the front entry being a pain, when I can I put a tarp porch over the door, I also have never got wet in it.

During the January deer hunt I had a substantial sand dune inside, I packed up and got the hell out!! I went back a week after the great sand storm and took my 2' high turkey blind and put it around the tent to keep the sand from coming on in.

Hopefully the SL2 has more headroom than my SL1 did. I felt like I was wearing the tent like a hat when I sat up. Much prefer my Copper Spur with the spreader pole to open up headroom.

Back