Thoughts on sleep system for sheep hunting?

Gearing up for a sheep hunt September through October in WY. Look at camp right at or slightly above tree line in some high basins. I would like to go floorless for the weight savings (myself and one other person. Looking at the Argali tents or a sawtooth. Any other things to consider or recommendations anyone would like to make?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

letrbuck

WKR
Lots of good floorless shelters out there. I have been floorless for a hell of a long time, and have been in some really shitty storms. Only time I don't use a floorless shelter is when the bugs are really really bad

On top of that... have a good, warm pad, and a good bag. And remember you can get by with a lighter bag if you wear your Puffy to bed

OP
Jackets307
Lots of good floorless shelters out there. I have been floorless for a hell of a long time, and have been in some really shitty storms. Only time I don't use a floorless shelter is when the bugs are really really bad

On top of that... have a good, warm pad, and a good bag. And remember you can get by with a lighter bag if you wear your Puffy to bed

I appreciate the input, thank you!

I’ve used the Kuiu floor less shelters with trekking pole, xtherm pad and 20F bag for the past few years in AK. It’s snowed every year in Aug, sept

OP
Jackets307
I’ve used the Kuiu floor less shelters with trekking pole, xtherm pad and 20F bag for the past few years in AK. It’s snowed every year in Aug, sept

No issues in high winds?

Have you considered just a basic tarp? If your bag/pad are warm enough, a tarp should be just fine

Hilleberg makes great stuff but it isn't cheap

OP
Jackets307
Have you considered just a basic tarp? If your bag/pad are warm enough, a tarp should be just fine

Hilleberg makes great stuff but it isn't cheap

I’ve definitely considered that option as well. Still on the fence

wyogoat

WKR
I like the flourless tents BUT I use the bathtub floor from luxe and it is super handy and worth the weight. Water flowing from heavy rain stays out of your gear. I’ve done everything right as far as tent placement and the water still flowed so this bailed me out. Just something to consider and they’re pretty reasonably priced.

OP
Jackets307
I like the flourless tents BUT I use the bathtub floor from luxe and it is super handy and worth the weight. Water flowing from heavy rain stays out of your gear. I’ve done everything right as far as tent placement and the water still flowed so this bailed me out. Just something to consider and they’re pretty reasonably priced.

I appreciate that, thank you!!

OP
Jackets307
And I meant floor less but…

I gotcha. Any issues or times you wished you had a netting/ liner earlier on when the bugs in the high country can be brutal?

wyogoat

WKR
Oh no. Don’t worry. There will be bugs but that time of year, usually nothing to lose sleep over or worry about. I’ve done all of September at 10,007 feet in a floor less.
I think most of the buzzing bugs are done before then but that’s just my experience.

OP
Jackets307
Oh no. Don’t worry. There will be bugs but that time of year, usually nothing to lose sleep over or worry about. I’ve done all of September at 10,007 feet in a floor less.
I think most of the buzzing bugs are done before then but that’s just my experience.

Yeah, I didn’t think September would be much of an issue. I was wondering about July and august though

wyogoat

WKR
Mosquitoes could def be an issue that time of year. Sorry. They can be hit or miss in the high country.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I like floorless and have not set up a tent with a floor in about 4 years. For two people I like my SO Cimaron, but Argali makes nice products and the Kifaru Sawtooth is about the same size, so probably great options as well.

I use a Bora Gear bivy for bugs and to keep condensation off my quilt.

Jimss

WKR
I've used and abused my Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT for years on numerous sheep/goat hunts in Alaska and Colorado. They are pretty bomber-proof 4 season tent. The inside of the tent has a bath tub floor plus you also have the option of bringing a footprint. The large vestibule (without a floor) is great for gear, cooking, drying clothes, etc. For early season hunting I often use just the fly plus painter's plastic for ultra-light packing. Just the fly works great and being 4 season can withstand snow and high wind.

Reactions: WCS
OP
Jackets307
I've used and abused my Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT for years on numerous sheep/goat hunts in Alaska and Colorado. They are pretty bomber-proof 4 season tent. The inside of the tent has a bath tub floor plus you also have the option of bringing a footprint. The large vestibule (without a floor) is great for gear, cooking, drying clothes, etc. For early season hunting I often use just the fly plus painter's plastic for ultra-light packing. Just the fly works great and being 4 season can withstand snow and high wind.

I’d really like to pick up a Nallo 3 GT