Tikka Ctr SS or Rough Tech Ember 6.5 Creedmoor

DD Jäger

FNG
Hi Guys ,
I’m a longtime lurker on this site , Lots of knowledgeable folks with Great information . I’m Hoping you can help me in my decision .

We moved to Colorado from New England, It’ll be 2 years in May . We Are Very Conservative & Pro 2nd Amendment . I’ve Hunted my whole life , Rifle , Shotgun & Bow throughout Ma. , Me. , NH. & Anticosti Island Canada .

The Vast majority of my shots have been from 10yds to 100yds avg probably 20 - 50 . I regularly practiced at 100yds , Had one sand pit I could go out to 200 yds . My longest shot was @ 200 & killed a Nice Buck .

Colorado Hunting will be a whole new experience , I want to be prepared .

I’m looking for a Long Range Training Rifle & also for Hunting . I’ve pretty much decided on a 6.5 Creedmoor . I handload so I figure it’ll be fairly inexpensive for Training , Components are available & it’s a Great long range cartridge . I want to work up to Training out to 600yds or so . I also have a TBA CB Dominus I’ll be using on which ever threaded rifle I get .

I would restrict my shots on Game to 400yds or so after Much Practice . I have a Nightforce ATACR 4-16x42 F1 with a MIL-R reticle on order since July . I keep 2nd guessing on the Mil-R reticle , Especially since that’s what’s been holding up my order .
I’ve read many Glowing Reviews on Here & other forums the ATACR 4-16 .
I’ll switch this to my M7 - 7mm SAUM Laminate SS for hunting this year , Elk , Mulie’s & Bear . My legs are kinda beat up , Hopefully they will be Much better by Hunting Season . I figure mostly stand hunting & glassing from different spots . If I get a shot it’ll probably be at a distance , Providing it’s in my Ability , Comfort Zone .

I would like accuracy & handling as a priority , figuring as a Tikka reliability is a given .
My question is would a Tikka SS CTR or RoughTech Ember be better for my needs , Also what is the weight on the CTR ? I see anywhere from 7.4 - 8.6lbs . If I get a CTR , 20” or 24” barrel?Are the Veils SS Cerakoted ? I would keep the Rifle in stock configuration . Any thing I might be overlooking as far as Rifles , Glass & Reticle’s Please feel free to offer your opinion .

Thank You for any information you could give me to help with my decision .

DDJäger

CTR would be better suited to extended range sessions or shooting out of box blinds; the other Tikka models tend to be better suites to normal hunting uses.

Do recommend checking out the ongoing "drop test" scope threads. They're a great read. Best options are SWFA, Nightforce, and Trijicon.

Do recommend checking out the going threads around 223/6/6.5 effectiveness on big game. They're also a great read.

Do recommend a refresher course on shooting fundamentals, preferably one-on-one, before you do a long range class. If your fundamentals need improvement, you'll be blowing a lot of cash unnecessarily at your long range shooting class.

OP
D

DD Jäger

FNG
AZ_Hunter_2000 ,
I read the drop test Formidilosus did , It was one of the main reasons I ordered a Nightforce . The ATACR 4-16 seemed like it would be just the ticket for what I need .
The Tests were a Wealth of Information .

Do you have any suggestions on a Long Range Class near Delta County ?

I am set up for 223/5.56 reloading , But I thought 6.5 Creedmoor might be a little more forgiving in the wind & make it a little easier to learn on .

Thank You ,
I Appreciate your insight & help .
DD Jäger

Macintosh

WKR
My 6.5 ctr with a 24” barrel weighed about 9 pounds bare. With a good set of rings and a hunting-weight scope that would be appropriate on a rifle like that you’re around 11 pounds. A bit lighter with a 20”. Heavy for a hunting rifle, but very comfortable to shoot. I carried it antelope hunting this fall with no regrets.

OP
D

DD Jäger

FNG

Macintosh ,​

In that case I think I’ll go with the Rough Tech Ember for a lighter more nimble rifle .

I’ll have a Nightforce ATACR 4-16 , a Farrell or Murphy rail , ARC rings plus a Sling & Ammo , Guestimating that should add 48oz bringing in around 10 lbs or a Little More .

Thank You for the help , I appreciate it

DD Jäger

Tikka Roughtech Ember chopped to 18 or 20 inches since you intend to use a can. As for the ATACR 4-16x42 MIL-R scope, I think that is a great choice. I have that scope in Mil-R amd Mil-C and much prefer the MIL-R for a hunting scope.

OP
D

DD Jäger

FNG
MidGaHunter ,

I’m Very Happy to hear I’ve made the right choice in reticles . There wasn’t a lot to choose from with Nightforce . 😄
I wanted learn to use Mils for Training & Especially Hunting at Long distances & have a reticle for closer in Timber hunting .
I haven’t been able to see the Mil-R reticle in person so I was going in blind on that decision . I’m Hoping I get it Very Soon , I’ve had the ATACR with that reticle on a back order since early July .

I can see Hunting out West is a whole New World for me . I’m Very much looking forward to it . I’m

I appreciate the suggestion on cutting the barrel down . I’m going to keep the Ember at it’s stock barrel length , for now anyways . The way I understand it with muzzle break removed the barrel will be at 22” so putting the TBAC CB Brake & Dominus on it shouldn’t be to bad .

Thank You for your help ,

DD Jäeger

Gorp2007

WKR
The Roughtech will weigh less, but you’re stuck with a 24” barrel in 6.5CM, which may not meet your criteria for easy handling with a suppressor mounted. [Edit] Looks like you’ve considered that and made a decision, good luck!

If you truly want a factory-only option, I’d try to score a Roughtech in 7-08 or 308, both of which are offered in 20” configurations and would meet your other needs. Or accept the weight penalty and get the CTR.

If you’re willing to get the barrel cut back and threaded, then I’d skip both the Roughtech and CTR and just buy a plain Jane stainless T3X and send it off to get threaded. No reason to pay extra for a threaded barrel just to turn around and have someone thread it again.

Last edited:
OP
D

DD Jäger

FNG
Gorp2007 ,

I was thinking that the 6.5 Creedmoor would be a fairly inexpensive to train for long range shooting & some hunting . There are also component’s available . I believe the Ember barrel is 22” with the factory brake removed . I’m Hoping that’s the case because last night I ended up ordering one at a Great price $1060.00 OTD . I couldn’t resist at that price .

The primary hunting rifle for the time being will be my SS Laminate M7- 7mm SAUM although that’s not threaded . I’ll probably end up switching between the 2 rifles , I’ll use the Ember for long range & the M7 for timber .
Having not hunted out here yet I’m going to play it by ear till I get a feel for the type of hunting I’ll be doing .

I have lots of questions in the coming months for Rokslider’s , Stay Tuned 😄 😄 😄

Thank You , I Really Appreciate your help ,

DD Jäger

ETtikka

WKR
Let us know how you like it; I believe most of your future questions have been asked on here already, this site is a wealth of info via the search function

Macro

Lil-Rokslider
For a rifle you’re going to carry, I’d skip the Ember and get a plain Jane Tikka and thread the barrel down the road if you really need it threaded.

If you’re committed to threaded and aren’t walking very far, I’d get the CTR.

OP
D

DD Jäger

FNG
ETtikka ,

I’ll Definitely report back on how I like the Ember when it & my ATACR comes in .

I’ve been lurking on here for quite awhile . I’ve researched tons on Mainly this Forum & some others trying to gain some knowledge in order to head in the right direction .
Strategy on How to hunt Elk , Mulie’s , Bear & Speed Goats in the West . It’s a Whole New Ball Game . The topography & game habits are much different from New England . I’m Very Eager to get out this Fall .

The folks on here are extremely Generous with their Knowledge . That’s how I ended up looking at Tikka rifles , TBAC Cans , NL Pure 8x42 , NF ATACR , Marsupial padded Binoculars case etc .
The list goes on , their’s Gear I never knew I needed . 😄 😄 😄

Thank You All For Your Help , Also the other Members of Rokslide for sharing their knowledge & experience’s .

DD Jäger

OP
D

DD Jäger

FNG
Macro ,

Thank You for your suggestion , But I got a Smoking Deal on an Ember & ordered it last night .

Thanks Again ,

DD Jäger

I believe the Ember barrel is 22” with the factory brake removed .

The barrel length is 24.3 inches. The brake will add a little length to that. The brake is not included as part of the barrel length measurement. However, if you get it and decide you want it shorter you can always have it cut back.

OP
D

DD Jäger

FNG
Mid GaHunter ,

I guess my research skills failed me . I wonder if I did get it chopped back if I could go to 20” ?
Do you think there would be enough barrel before getting to close to the flutes ?

Thank You for the help ,

DD JÄGER

Mid GaHunter ,

I guess my research skills failed me . I wonder if I did get it chopped back if I could go to 20” ?
Do you think there would be enough barrel before getting to close to the flutes ?

Thank You for the help ,

DD JÄGER

Yes it can be done and I believe Thunderbeast will do it for you if you so choose.

Last edited: