Tikka issues

OP
R

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you’re doing a good job of eliminating possible issues.

If you’ve ever been interested in a cheap $100 borescope, or if you know someone with one who would look at the bore, now is a good time for that. The teslong comes in IPhone/IPad or android/windows versions. The one for iPhones uses the newest style of plug, usb-c, so for an older one with apple lightning plug a $5 adapter is required.

Looking at the bore may not show anything. At best it would show an obvious manufacturing defect. If you had more than a few hundred rounds through the barrel, a buildup of carbon not removed with cleaning would be something to look for, but that’s not an issue with a new barrel.

Anytime the barrel is cut there’s a chance a burr has been left on the crown. Taking the can off and checking for roughness with a q-tip would eliminate that. Shooting a group without the can wouldn‘t be a bad idea since if it has any looseness that can cause problems.

Unfortunately, this and the other things I’ve mentioned are all I have, short of a new barrel. It’s tempting to buy a lightly used takeoff barrel on eBay, but there’s always the risk it’s someone else’s problem barrel that had to be replaced, so buyer beware. Much better to find a used barrel with known history, or new.

Thanks I’ll try the q-tip and shoot it without the can. Hopefully I can find someone with a bore scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Thanks I’ll try the q-tip and shoot it without the can. Hopefully I can find someone with a bore scope.

This is the borescope I have. it works well enough.

With the scope and rings thats not likely the problem. Action screws would be the next thing I checked along with the crown but you should see the ding if there was a crown problem. IME if you cant SEE it naked eye then there isnt a crown problem. And of course the possible head space issue first.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
It is possible to get a bum Tikka. Now I'm whishing I had bothered to shoot my 223 prior to having it cut and threaded. I told myself I should, then did not.
Same here, I bought a 223 but didn’t even shoot it before sending it off to get cut.

OP
R

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
Got the head spacing checked and it is out of spec. The no go gauge was .015 longer than the go gauge and it would close on it. The fired brass was .001 longer than the no go. The brass with the miss fires were.010 short of the go gauge. Talked to Scheels where I bought it they said they could send it to tikka but wanted me to talk to a manager tomorrow as they could possibly deal with it internally.

sveltri

WKR
Nothing wrong with the headspace. The protruding primer just points to a very low pressure load. I'm not sure what your load is, but try one halfway between the recommended minimum and maximum charge weight then work up from there.

The light strike could also be attributed to primer not seated deep enough. How deep do you seat your primers?
Did you read the OP’s last post?

Soj51hopeful

Lil-Rokslider
Nothing wrong with the headspace. The protruding primer just points to a very low pressure load. I'm not sure what your load is, but try one halfway between the recommended minimum and maximum charge weight then work up from there.

The light strike could also be attributed to primer not seated deep enough. How deep do you seat your primers?
What do you mean there’s nothing wrong with headspace? His last post just said the action will close on a no go.

OP
R

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
When you get the new rifle, try shooting in yards, not meters, certainly not metres.

Nothing shoots like it should in meters.

P

A 100 meters is 110 yards and a 2-3/4 inch group is 2-1/2 moa

Try different ammo. Tikka likes Hornady. Clean every shot for the first 3 shots, clean every third shot for 4 series, then shell out 5 more rounds, clean, and call it a day

Axlrod

WKR
Try different ammo. Tikka likes Hornady. Clean every shot for the first 3 shots, clean every third shot for 4 series, then shell out 5 more rounds, clean, and call it a day
It is not shooting a 2.5 moa group because it needs cleaning after 50 rounds. And an ammo change won't fix headspace issues.
I have a Savage in 223 that has over 3600 rounds through it. The last 10 shot group was .720" it has never had a cleaning rod put down the barrel since new.

SDHNTR

WKR
Tikka as a whole doesn’t like or hate anything. Yours might, but the Tikka universe cares not what yours likes. Tikkas are individuals.

Chris_in_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
I had LRI cut and thread the muzzle and was using a suppressor.

Talked to Scheels where I bought it they said they could send it to tikka but wanted me to talk to a manager tomorrow as they could possibly deal with it internally.
Wow, so both Scheels and Tikka are willing to warranty it even though it's been cut and threaded? I always thought modifications voided warranties. Very good!
A 100 meters is 110 yards and a 2-3/4 inch group is 2-1/2 moa

You probably caught it, but Pharm is attempting humor here.