Tikka issues

I missed where LRI had done work on it. When they threaded it, did they remove the barrel from the action? If so, did they torque it back to spec?

Chad and the team there normally do great work, but that one may have slipped through the cracks.

OP
R

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, so both Scheels and Tikka are willing to warranty it even though it's been cut and threaded? I always thought modifications voided warranties. Very good!

You probably caught it, but Pharm is attempting humor here.

LRI threaded it without removing the barrel from the action, Scheels sent it to tikka I haven’t gotten the rifle back yet out heard anything, I’ve checked with Scheels a few times, they said they’ll let me know if they hear anything. Scheels said tikka would take care of it but I suppose tikka could send it back without fixing it. I’m a little slow I began to suspect that with his following post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
My first question is how well do you shoot, did your buddy shoot the same groups?

After 70 rounds with the tikka I shot a 1.1 moa group 10 shot group with my 6.5 Creedmoor. Which is typical for that rifle/load.

OP
R

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
I just got the rifle back last week. Tikka said that it met their specifications and they fired 8 rounds through it and couldn’t duplicate my issue( I had 3 light primer strikes in 150 rounds). Scheels said take it home and shoot it, measure the brass and see if I still have issues. If I do then Scheels themselves would fix it. I’ve put about 40 rounds through it since then with no issues. I measured some of the fired brass it it was measuring on usually 3-5 thousandths longer than factory ammo and starline brass I didn’t have earlier (most of what I have fired now is with virgin starline). I measured the three misfired (2 factory 1was once fired reconditioned) cases and they were 10-12 thousandths shorter than my other factory ammo.

sveltri

WKR
I just got the rifle back last week. Tikka said that it met their specifications and they fired 8 rounds through it and couldn’t duplicate my issue( I had 3 light primer strikes in 150 rounds). Scheels said take it home and shoot it, measure the brass and see if I still have issues. If I do then Scheels themselves would fix it. I’ve put about 40 rounds through it since then with no issues. I measured some of the fired brass it it was measuring on usually 3-5 thousandths longer than factory ammo and starline brass I didn’t have earlier (most of what I have fired now is with virgin starline). I measured the three misfired (2 factory 1was once fired reconditioned) cases and they were 10-12 thousandths shorter than my other factory ammo.

So it was a brass issue? How did the rest of that lot measure?

OP
R

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
Seems to be mostly and my tikka is probably borderline long in the chamber most of the virgin brass I measured was about 10-12 longer than the rounds that didn’t fire.

OP
R

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
Apparently it checked out with their headspace gauges. It closed on the no go I tried but it was snug. The smith said his gauge was a little longer than most but he may have been mistaken . My guess is his might be long for a match chamber but shorter than a field no go.

OP
R

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
Good catch I never thought of that it looks like the CIP chamber is ~4 thousandths longer, explains the discrepancy between no go gauges. Most likely CIP head spaced of the shoulder radius.

blkqi

WKR
The C.I.P. Chamber drawing did not have the headspace datum line or the base to HS datum line listed. Does that mean C.I.P. headspaces off of the shoulder radius?
CIP headspaces the cartridge the same way, the callout is just different.

Good catch I never thought of that it looks like the CIP chamber is ~4 thousandths longer, explains the discrepancy between no go gauges.
They are essentially the same based on the drawings. How did you figure that CIP is longer?

OP
R

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
CIP headspaces the cartridge the same way, the callout is just different.

They are essentially the same based on the drawings. How did you figure that CIP is longer?

The sammi chamber is 36.418 mm and CIP is 36.52 to the beginning of the shoulder.
fe2a7b7b10dfe1b0d516638b41ec3534.jpg

OP
R

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
I realize my mistake I was reading the case specs for CIP.

blkqi

WKR
Do you have a case gauge?

I would not reload once-fired .223 without one, unless it was fired in my chamber. The case dimensions in range pickup .223 are allover the map.

OP
R

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
I use a 30/06 case on the shoulder to take measurements