Tikka trigger.. how light is too light?

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
I dropped a new after market trigger spring in my Tikka t3x. So far it has performed perfect. It doesn't fire with the drop test, always resets when bolt is worked. But I picked up a wheeler trigger gauge and it's reading 1.25 pounds. Is this too light for safety? Like I said it's working perfectly, but I would rather be safe than sorry. What's the lightest any of you have your triggers set at?

I prefer 3 pounds on a hunting rifle.

I do have one ML that is 2 pounds and it doesn’t bother me.

Sub 2 pounds for me is a range/competition set up.

Everyone has a preference and you’ll find yours as well.

How light is too light? I have no idea, but you need to do some function testing. With the safety off, gun unloaded, bolt closed, drop it on the buttstock. Did it fire? Safety on, drop on buttsuck, take safety off, did it fire? Run your bolt hard and fast. Flip your bolt down when you slide it home. If any of those maneuvers caused it to fire you need more tension. I’m sure others have more tests, but that’s usually where I start.

I don’t like a 3 pound trigger for anything. But I’m not sure I’d want 1.25 on a hunting rifle either. Find what you like, test it. Lock it down.

Kinda a personal preference. Trigger gauge isnt really needed to figure that out. Set it where its comfy, and rock on

OP
P

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
I think I may have asked my question wrong. I really like where my trigger is at. My concern is that it's going to lead to a malfunction of the gun. I decided to tighten it down to 1.5 lbs. I have repeatedly dropped it on the butt, cycled upside down, done everything I can think of to get it to misfire, but it has been flawless.

Castronova

Lil-Rokslider
I have someone sending me a factory tikka spring as I had a very scary situation with a light aftermarket spring. Haven’t gauged it my guess is it’s at 1.25-1.5. It’s fun at the range but I barely tapped mine with a mag sticking out of the side of my hand while unloading and fired it into the air. That was it for me. It won’t go into the field again.
Completely my fault and difficult to explain but happened way too easy.

OP
P

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
I have someone sending me a factory tikka spring as I had a very scary situation with a light aftermarket spring. Haven’t gauged it my guess is it’s at 1.25-1.5. It’s fun at the range but I barely tapped mine with a mag sticking out of the side of my hand while unloading and fired it into the air. That was it for me. It won’t go into the field again.
Thank you for your input. That is one thing I have not enjoyed compared to my browning x bolt. No way to lift the bolt without taking off safe.

I think I may have asked my question wrong. I really like where my trigger is at. My concern is that it's going to lead to a malfunction of the gun. I decided to tighten it down to 1.5 lbs. I have repeatedly dropped it on the butt, cycled upside down, done everything I can think of to get it to misfire, but it has been flawless.

I would put that factory spring back in and just back the adjustment screw out as much as possible. You can grind a little off the top of the other bolt that the set screw ends up hitting if you want to go a little lighter but I don't know if that would reduce safety.

Using one of those aftermarket springs can cause malfunction if you get ice buildup in bad weather. The spring does not have enough strength to push the seat back into place if ice interferes. I had this happen last October. Backpack hunt. Several days of wet snow/almost freezing rain. Left the rifle outside the tent at night to prevent condensation in the chamber. It ended up getting ice buildup in the trigger area. When closing the bolt, the firing pin would drop because ice was holding the trigger in a depressed state. The only way to close the bolt was to hold the trigger in a forward position while closing it. I could then pull the trigger to fire. That's not good though, so I worked the thing for about an hour before the trigger seemed to loosen up and the spring would hold the trigger sear in the forward position when not being pressed.

I don't know how likely that is to occur again, especially if I cover the rifle with a tarp at night, but I found this out on the last morning of my hunt and was super bummed that I spent that whole magic hour in the morning working on my gun. I decided I didn't want to increase the chance of that happening again by having that weaker spring in there so I reinstalled the factory spring. It is plenty light with good trigger control

I just got a couple UM springs but haven’t changed them yet. I figured I will tighten it down and see where it ends up, but a little lighter I’m ok with

atmat

WKR
I always just use factory tikka spring backed all the way out. My two T3x’s sit at around 1.75 lb that way.

It's personal imo, but I prefer 1lb or less on my rifles if the trigger will go that light. The heaviest I'd take hunting is 1.5lbs.
I know how well I shoot with light triggers and how well I don't with heavier triggers.
If your afraid of your gun going off don't put bullets in the chamber until it's time to kill

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Based on your description I am envisioning you dropped the mag into your hand with a round still in the chamber and then went to work the bolt with an mag in your hand too and the mag hit the trigger? If so good warning but you need to change your sequence of operations and not get false security with a stiffer trigger spring. Unchamber the round first then drop the mag then close the bolt.

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
Haven't gauged mine but with the UM spring it is light. At first it felt too light but as I get used to it I am starting to enjoy it more and more.

My concern is when my fingers are cold and dexterity lacking will I be able to safely and accurately use the trigger.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
I like around 1.5 lbs to 2 lbs for most any rifle, most any purpose. If trigger feel is an issue (for whatever reason) go heavy enough that you can feel the trigger before you break the trigger.

I find heavier pull weight more palatable on a 2-stage; they tend to feel more like the 2nd stage than the combined weight (i.e. I feel like I'm pulling the difference).

Castronova

Lil-Rokslider
Based on your description I am envisioning you dropped the mag into your hand with a round still in the chamber and then went to work the bolt with an mag in your hand too and the mag hit the trigger? If so good warning but you need to change your sequence of operations and not get false security with a stiffer trigger spring. Unchamber the round first then drop the mag then close the bolt.
No doubt about it. The bolt was stuck and it through my sequence off. For some reason I grabbed the mag when I couldn’t get it loose. Do things differently and there’s a chance you do something wrong.
But I also think both things can be true. To tap the trigger with an empty plastic mag and have it go off is not enough safety margin for me. Everyone has to choose that for themselves, I’m just giving those that read this another perspective.
Keep that barrel in a safe position at all times and everyone gets to sit around the fire/forum and learn from others mistakes.

ID_Matt

WKR
On the few tikka's I have owned, factory spring turned all the way out has been about perfect. Aftermarket spring has been too light.

My Tikka T3X is set at 2.5 lbs.. Breaks nice and clean without it being unsafe "hair" light. For that matter, all my hunting rifles are set at 2.5 - 3lbs..

Just remember the blood going through your veins when an animal is in front of you is higher octane than your shooting range blood.