Time to Pay Up - A Father/Son Story

I didn’t really know where to put this but chose Caribou section because this is the animal my son attributes Alaska to the most. With that said I’m currently in the beginning stages of searching for something that suits my unique situation but first it involves a story.

I may owe my 8 year old son a trip to Alaska due to a deal I made with him back in August 2023. We have in TX what is called an AR (accelerated reading) point system that students use for reading. The students read books and take a quiz to test what they have retained from their reading. The more books they read the more points they receive. This year my son asked what I would do for him should he get 1st in his entire school. I saw this as a very high bar and felt he deserved something awesome should he achieve such a momental task. My deal was that I would take him to Alaska should he get 1st. Did I believe he could achieve it? Nope sure didn’t haha Well I am learning that the kids have reached the deadline for 2023-2024 school year and that he’s at 280+ points! I’m also learning that my son is currently vying for 1st place. Word of our deal has gotten around and now the teachers and administration are keeping a tight lip till this Friday before they release the results. There’s a very good understanding that he may just have taken 1st place the day of the deadline hahaha

Like I said, we will find out this week so I’m currently looking for ideas that lead to an adventure that won’t break my pocket book . I’m trying to steer him towards a fishing trip but he wants to tag along on a hunt with me. My dad(a non hunter) would also like to tag along but not if it’s going to ruin any opportunity to book my son and I. If adding him is a deal breaker then he’s fine with sitting this trip out. I’ve made it clear to him that he would have to pay his way should we be able to make something work. Does anyone have any hunting adventure suggestions or recommendations for 2024 that I haven’t thought of? The boy is all in on caribou but I’ve explained to him that they are very pricey and popular target for many hunters these days (there’s a supply and demand lesson in there) I’ve mentioned he would enjoy possibly going after deer in SE area or we could settle for fishing this time around. 2025 Spring bear is out because I’m booked already and Moose is scary expensive. In order to draw a clear picture of myself and capabilities I would call myself a pretty seasoned spot and stalk bowhunter plus my son has tackled more hunts with me than most grown men have experienced themselves. I also have a 10 day diy moose hunt under my belt that I did in central Alaska along with my own gear that most Texans don’t keep in their hunting inventory. I know he is not prepared for a 10 day endeavor of that level. I also understand what I’m trying to broker is a monumental task. Trophy is not important to me. Our purpose on this trip will be to make memories and get him a taste of Alaska adventure by immersing him into something now so he’s prepared when he gets older. It’s also a way to show him that if he puts in the work that others are not willing to do he will achieve many accomplishments/successes throughout life. Anyways I figured y’all would get a kick out of this and hope by sharing my story that this leads to an opportunity, a referral, or friendship in Alaska. I don’t have much to offer but I’d be willing to barter a little such as a free range axis or aoudad hunt in West Texas. Or I could even line you out on SETX Waterfowl hunt and possibly even a Gator. Both options come with lodging, food, good company, and unique experience IMG_6354.jpeg

mooster

WKR
An August/September haul road caribou hunt out of Fairbanks is a great adventure to combine AK sight seeing and an OTC hunt. Fly in/out FAI. Drive up haul road to arctic circle, overnight in Coldfoot camp or Galbraith Lake. See oustanding scenery, pipepline, and wildlife. Continue up to Deadhorse and camp/fish/hunt where every you like. Moose, wolf, black bear, griz, sheep, muskox caribou all high probability to be glassed/encountered along the way. PM me and be glad to share my experiences, estimated costs, timelines, etc... which are very likely limited compared to the abundance of accumulated knowlege here.

BTW, a month ago, finally first free range, low fence, aoudad on my lease between Sonora & Del Rio. They're a little transient on our place.
toa aoudad 12apr2024.jpg

Last edited:

VernAK

WKR
With the current condition of caribou herds and the demand for hunts, arranging a caribou hunt will be difficult and $$$$$$. Fishing can be equally expensive, and most areas are not what they once were. I suggest you keep this thread alive and many ideas will come forth. Your son is to be commended for his efforts even if he doesn't take first place.

Mtncowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations to your son and to you! I understand the meaning of 280 AR points and let me tell you guys, that's a TON of points! I think a deer or a black bear would be great, but also caribou probably isn't going to get any cheaper for awhile, so if you can, maybe just go for it, and you would both have an adventure of a lifetime.

OP
T
An August/September haul road caribou hunt out of Fairbanks is a great adventure to combine AK sight seeing and an OTC hunt. Fly in/out FAI. Drive up haul road to arctic circle, overnight in Coldfoot camp or Galbraith Lake. See oustanding scenery, pipepline, and wildlife. Continue up to Deadhorse and camp/fish/hunt where every you like. Moose, wolf, black bear, griz, sheep, muskox caribou all high probability to be glassed/encountered along the way. PM me and be glad to share my experiences, estimated costs, timelines, etc... which are very likely limited compared to the abundance of accumulated knowlege here.

BTW, a month ago, finally first free range, low fence, aoudad on my lease between Sonora & Del Rio. They're a little transient on our place.
Man! thank you for the advice!!! I think Dalton Highway will be a perfect option for keeping my budget down. As of right now that is going to be Option A. I know Fairbanks and have references for a rental so already have a plan in place. May hit you up for some more insight later on down the road. Just want to do my own research first. As for your lease, I'm willing to bet you are hunting really close to 3 properties I have access to; NE Val Verde County; Devils River Basin. Alot of Aoudad, Axis, and Whitetail. My dad and I own 100 acres, I just partnered up with a friend on a foreclosure not too far away, and have a leased pasture on a 7000 acre place on the opposite side of that. I've managed to get in on property at the right time and learned a lot about the area.