Tipping a hunting guide

MtGomer

WKR
Guys that book hunts planning to stiff the staff sound like the $15/hour minimum wage group...…Entitled, greedy, selfish and willfully ignorant of how things work. I choose to use these services, understanding what the norm is, but I’m a flake with zero integrity, so I stiff the camp cook. I don’t realize that if I’m such a broke dick that I can’t really afford the hunt, that I have to pretend to blame the system to justify being a cheap turd to everybody that made my hunt a success, I should really find a better job so I can afford these trips.
Fixed.
Really living up the handle name.

FE0427BD-49F8-4C4F-BEA1-94E4B313DD11.jpeg

PA Hunter

WKR
A $20 tip and he felt 'degraded'? Ungrateful much? Money is money no matter how little or how much...…...this further proves my point. Sounds the like the $15/hour minimum wage group...….I choose to flip burgers so I deserve $15/hour...…….if someone doesn't like the pay, find another job.
Giving a guy $20 for 6 days of busting his tail is degrading in my opinion. If your gonna do that don’t tip at all.

Maybe some guides and camp cooks can chime in if $ 20 is an insult for tending to 11 hunters all hours of the day and night for 6 days.

MtnOyster

WKR
Sure as hell not me.
Me neither, i'd say most people on here don't make $1000 a day (maybe a few) and when your being charged that for a hunt i'd say the tip could go either way depending on how well the hunt went.
I'm all for tipping but there are times and circumstances that may call for a good tip or no tip at all.
I've been on good hunts and fishing charters that I tipped very well, also been on hunts that were a borderline scam and a bunch of smoke blown up my tank, how do you think I tipped on that?
Most of the time I think the percentage of the tip is just a judgement call and sometimes how much more a guy can afford to give, I also think 10% is prolly the normal standard and no guide or outfitter should complain about that.

MattB

WKR
A $20 tip and he felt 'degraded'? Ungrateful much? Money is money no matter how little or how much...…...this further proves my point. Sounds the like the $15/hour minimum wage group...….I choose to flip burgers so I deserve $15/hour...…….if someone doesn't like the pay, find another job.

Mail a dollar bill with your bill to your electric company and see if they agree that money is money. You might be unpleasantly surprised by what the real world has to say about your theory.

colonel00

WKR
Mail a dollar bill with your bill to your electric company and see if they agree that money is money. You might be unpleasantly surprised by what the real world has to say about your theory.

That's not really a fair argument. You have entered a contract with the electric company much like you do with an outfitter. You agree to pay the assessed fees as defined by the contract. You don't tip your electric company when the power doesn't go out for the whole month or when the crew is out in your area, upgrading the power lines, do you?

Now, if you have something at your house where a service person has to come and fix something and they go out of their way to do it quickly, to your satisfaction (beyond the minimum) and with minimal impact to your daily life, then maybe you might give that person something for their exceptional work.

2five7

WKR
Does anyone here consider a multiplier to the tip, based on number of days?

For example, if 10% equals $700 ,but the hunt was 7 days - that's $100 per day tip.

If the hunt had early success and was only 2 days - that's $350 per day tip.

The 7 day guy seems low to me, but...
Is the early success guy a good tipper???
Keep in mind that most guides have other jobs also, and they have booked that week off from their other job, to help you be successful in your hunt. The money they get from the outfitter, (usually a daily rate), and your gratuity is all the money they will make that week.

Don't punish your guide for being good at his job, by giving him a lesser tip, because you killed your animal early in the hunt.

Deadfall

WKR
Noone, it's just the number of posts you read about guides 'losing money' while they guide and how tipping is a reflection on the client (mentioned above). The whole tipping mentality is ridiculous...........I paid the outfitter for a hunting trip or fishing trip, they should pay their employees..............
Hmmmmm.......bet you dont tip waitresses either

MattB

WKR
That's not really a fair argument. You have entered a contract with the electric company much like you do with an outfitter. You agree to pay the assessed fees as defined by the contract. You don't tip your electric company when the power doesn't go out for the whole month or when the crew is out in your area, upgrading the power lines, do you?

Now, if you have something at your house where a service person has to come and fix something and they go out of their way to do it quickly, to your satisfaction (beyond the minimum) and with minimal impact to your daily life, then maybe you might give that person something for their exceptional work.

It is a fair comparison, you've perhaps missed the point. Money isn't money. How little or how much actually matters.

bozeman

WKR
Giving a guy $20 for 6 days of busting his tail is degrading in my opinion. If your gonna do that don’t tip at all.

Maybe some guides and camp cooks can chime in if $ 20 is an insult for tending to 11 hunters all hours of the day and night for 6 days.

I was a valet while in college at a very nice hotel/conference center. Whether it was .10 or $10, I was grateful as it was more than I had when I started my day. I could have chosen to continue in that profession or finish my education and move on to other careers; either way I made the choice and never expected anyone to 'give me' anything. I knew the hourly wage, I knew the hours and I knew the demands of the work...……..why expect more? Fundamental flaw in a person's logic to place their well being on 'subjective tips' and then feel degraded or ungrateful when they receive one, no matter the amount.

As far as the power company argument goes; flawed logic. The agreement was with the outfitter for the price of the hunt, which is paid upfront...…..doesn't even make sense. Not following that line of reasoning when it comes to comparing ones thoughts on the 'tip' mentality.

IdahoElk

WKR
They don't tip in a lot of Europe,in fact while visiting a friend in Austria he refused to let me leave a tip, this was at restaurants and a fishing guide.
We live in America and not Europe but if they can do it why can't we?
I have no problem tipping people here because I'm programed to believe that's how we do it but those automated card scanners at the local coffee shop where the tips start at 15% drive me nuts! I refuse to tip someone for handing me a coffee over the counter.

keepriding

Lil-Rokslider
Tipping is not compulsory as always, But when a Job is done and done well, it deserves some appreciation.

WCB

WKR
The thing that gets me is guides work for tips, but guided hunts cost multiple times more than drop camps run by the same outfitter. You’re not eating thousands of dollars in camp food while on a 5 day hunt. . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on what type of hunt is it. Drop camp works for the convenience you hope of being in an area with game and you don't have the investment into setting up camp or buying equipment. Pretty low investment for outfitters really and normally a supplement to the fully guided hunts.

Fully guided in the camp I worked for was the same plus 3 meals a day, use of horses/ mules everyday that need to be fed and taken care of, use of a tack for horses, now the outfitter needs more vehicles and trailers for stock. Stock needs to be taken care of year round. Vet bills, farrier bills. Outfitter is paying guides a weekly pay and at least one camp cook/jack. And all of this is priced for convenience.

Ratbeetle

WKR
Keep in mind that most guides have other jobs also, and they have booked that week off from their other job, to help you be successful in your hunt. The money they get from the outfitter, (usually a daily rate), and your gratuity is all the money they will make that week.

Don't punish your guide for being good at his job, by giving him a lesser tip, because you killed your animal early in the hunt.

Really? The guide took a week off from his real job just so the hunter could be successful...if I rolled my eyes any harder they might fall out of my head. How generous, these guides are truly saints.

WCB

WKR
They don't tip in a lot of Europe,in fact while visiting a friend in Austria he refused to let me leave a tip, this was at restaurants and a fishing guide.
We live in America and not Europe but if they can do it why can't we?
I have no problem tipping people here because I'm programed to believe that's how we do it but those automated card scanners at the local coffee shop where the tips start at 15% drive me nuts! I refuse to tip someone for handing me a coffee over the counter.
But the prices are higher so everything is pre built in. I like having the option. Buy a $30.00 steak dinner and great service maybe I leave a $10.00 tip or maybe poor/average service a couple bucks maybe nothing.

Or buy the same meal for ? $40.00...$45.00 and get horrible service I'm still paying the same price or more? I know a few really good hard working servers that make close to 6 figures that would quit in a minute if they were paid $15.00 an hour and no chance for tips. And they do not work in high end restaurants but hey work their butts off.

2five7

WKR
Really? The guide took a week off from his real job just so the hunter could be successful...if I rolled my eyes any harder they might fall out of my head. How generous, these guides are truly saints.
You're the kind of guy that we drag around the mountain for endless miles, in the areas with no animals, for about 3 days. Then we will allow you to shoot one on day 4 or 5, your type is easy to pick out of a group in hunting camp. Then they'll try and re-book for next year, but sadly, we are all booked up :D

Ratbeetle

WKR
You're the kind of guy that we drag around the mountain for endless miles, in the areas with no animals, for about 3 days. Then we will allow you to shoot one on day 4 or 5, your type is easy to pick out of a group in hunting camp. Then they'll try and re-book for next year, but sadly, we are all booked up :D

Lol, you got me pegged for sure.

I don't go guided. Never have and after the entitlement attitude and outright disdain for hunters displayed by many "guides" in this very thread, I seriously doubt I ever will.

colonel00

WKR
Wow. So you and your fellow guides will intentionally make an effort to give a paying client a hard time based on your unfounded assumptions about how they might tip? Please post what outfitter you work for.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ratbeetle

WKR
Wow. So you and your fellow guides will intentionally make an effort to give a passing client a hard time based on your unfounded assumptions about how they might tip? Please post what outfitter you work for.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Illuminating isn't it. I wonder how often shitty tips are the result of the guide's self-fulfilling prophecy that his hunter must be a bad tipper.

But he did say that he would graciously let me shoot something eventually. Would 18% be acceptable for such generosity?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is the ******* guiding business in a nutshell. Thanks for laying it out. If your not throwing tips after the handshake your getting the crumbs on the mountain.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk