Tips for taking the wifey

I have an awesome wife who's always been supportive of allowing me liberal amounts of time in the woods. She's day hunted deer and turkey with me (she hasn't really had the bug to hunt herself but loves tagging along). This year however, she asked to tag along on my elk hunt in Wy. She's very in shape (has been hiking 3-5 miles/4-5x week with 25lbs in her pack) and damn tough as far as "roughing it"/backpacking goes. Definitely not high maintenance. That being said, I want to make it as enjoyable as possible as she is talking of picking up a bow/rifle this winter. Any tips on making hunting with the spouse as fun for them as possible? She knows what I am there to do and am thinking some days she will hunt by my side, others she will be at the tent. Its not that I am afraid of her being an anchor...its more that I am hoping she comes out on the other side of the hunt with the bug to hunt herself. We're going to be hunting 10 days in mid-September using the truck as a basecamp but have the backpacking potential if need to be further in on elk.

A close friend has allowed the wife to use her entire Sitka kit (which is extensive). I have both a tent and a tarp plus all the comforts to go with it. Got her a new 20 degree slickbag this year and she has loved it so far. She should be warm and dry the whole time. My biggest goal was to have her warm and comfortable. Any big tips from people that hunt with their spouse?

Any input would be greatly appreciated and best of luck to everyone in their hunts this fall!

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
I'm doing the same thing this fall. Just doing a landowner tag cow hunt. My plan is to get her set up as best I can so that she's actually involved in process. Make sure she has her own Binos, Tripod etc. That way she's a second set of eyes and not just along for the ride. Have her help you scout on google earth, plan the routes, pick base camps etc. Maybe do mostly hunting from the truck but throw in a spike camp hunt as well. As long as she has appropriate footwear and clothing I think you'll have a blast.

fez

FNG
I think your on the right track by making her comfortable as possible.

There will be times that while glassing for elk you find them easily. Don’t tell her and give her the opportunity to find them. Give her a chance to have some of the success in finding. I personally look them over good without telling and if there isn’t a bull worth going after just keep quiet until she points them out. Before to long she will be finding elk for you.

Advice for you, be ready To spend just as much money on her as you for hunting gear. Depending on the age of your kids, you might need find a babysitter for 3-4 days at a time.

I could go on and on but will stop right there. I hope my better half doesn’t read this, it may sound like I’m complaining but I’m not. I really enjoy hunting with my wife

Wrench

WKR
Hand her a wind checker, binos, heads up and a hoochie momma and she can be completely useful and have the best seat in the house when it's go time.

If she's able to call, skip the canned sound and get knowed up on elknut's how, why and when to say what.

Get success shots with her.....and know some of us are jealous.

Jbehredt

WKR
Keep her informed. Tell her why you’re moving or sitting or calling or not calling. Why you think you need to be on the next ridge. If she understands the why she’ll be much more engaged and less likely to get annoyed with what can feel like just wandering around to the uninformed. Show her on the map where you’re headed and explain why it’s elkier than where you’re standing. Be honest and accurate with how far it is and how long it will take to get there. Take snack breaks. Carry some of her heavy stuff but be sneaky about it so she doesn’t feel like she’s not “carrying her own weight”. Definitely get her some calls she can be comfortable with. My wife graduated through the years form a squeeze type to carrying her own reeds and bugle tube this year. Similar story in that 6 years ago my wife started tagging along with a camera mostly to make sure I didn’t die alone in the woods. This year she’s got an archery elk and an archery deer tag to fill.

Make sure she doesn’t get cold. Don’t be set on killing a trophy. Enjoy the experience. I know a few guys who botched it the first time and never got a second chance.

hammerguy

FNG
First time I took my girlfriend hunting I made sure she had great gear - as good as mine or better - the stuff she seen people have on tv. She made her own choices, but the retail therapy was a good start. I also slowed down that first hunt. If I could cover 10 miles alone, we went maybe 5 or 6, with nice breaks. Prepare to look at stuff besides animal signs. You're hunting, but pretty flowers, cool rocks, and other critters all enhance the experience. Finally, try your best not to get frustrated - it shows and it's a real party killer. That goes for wife, kid, new hunting partner, whatever. My girl has proven she's a better shot than me so I'm scared of the day she wants to make this a true hunting partnership, but I like having her along.

bracer40

Lil-Rokslider
Discuss and agree on a method to alert each other to animals. When your under 50 yds and shootable animals appear is NOT the time to have your significant other waving her arms and squealing with excitement. Even after the discussion, reinforce the basics of it. Personal experience. (Yes, I laid out the importance of silent, minimal movement comms BEFORE her first close encounter)
We still laugh about it.....

Rich M

WKR
My wife hunts with me from time to time. She likes all aspects of it

Comfort is no. 1. If she gets cold, you lose. If she stays comfortable, you win.

I can give you the wife perspective because i hunt with my husband doing the backpacking thing and i can also state a lot of the same things that were already mentioned: 1. Make sure she’s got some good gear too because getting cold is the worst. 2. I think it’s also important that good footwear can be a lifesaver because blisters suck. 3. Be patient and if she slows you down. Look at it from the positive as it might be a good thing so you don’t miss something that could’ve been overlooked (happened to us many times). 4. I know when I’ve hit my limit and either need a break or sometimes a snack and a nap. And if my husband wants to keep hunting or wants to look at the next ridge i don’t mind hanging out and resting while he goes and does that.Sometimes i don’t mind having a minute to myself. Then when he returns I’m ready to keep going. 5. I like to be comfortable as well and do sacrifice a little of my pack space for what some people would call “luxury items” for me it’s a comfortable pillow, and a few items of real food. And lastly I don’t like to be out for more than 3 nights max in a tent before i want to be back at our camper for a recharge and refuel

Most importantly have a lot of fun! I feel like me and my husband jive very well and our strengths and weaknesses complement each other. Makes me excited for our season just thinking about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an awesome wife who's always been supportive of allowing me liberal amounts of time in the woods. She's day hunted deer and turkey with me (she hasn't really had the bug to hunt herself but loves tagging along). This year however, she asked to tag along on my elk hunt in Wy. She's very in shape (has been hiking 3-5 miles/4-5x week with 25lbs in her pack) and damn tough as far as "roughing it"/backpacking goes. Definitely not high maintenance. That being said, I want to make it as enjoyable as possible as she is talking of picking up a bow/rifle this winter. Any tips on making hunting with the spouse as fun for them as possible? She knows what I am there to do and am thinking some days she will hunt by my side, others she will be at the tent. Its not that I am afraid of her being an anchor...its more that I am hoping she comes out on the other side of the hunt with the bug to hunt herself. We're going to be hunting 10 days in mid-September using the truck as a basecamp but have the backpacking potential if need to be further in on elk.

A close friend has allowed the wife to use her entire Sitka kit (which is extensive). I have both a tent and a tarp plus all the comforts to go with it. Got her a new 20 degree slickbag this year and she has loved it so far. She should be warm and dry the whole time. My biggest goal was to have her warm and comfortable. Any big tips from people that hunt with their spouse?

Any input would be greatly appreciated and best of luck to everyone in their hunts this fall!
Like hunting with kids. If they are warm feed and not ignored they will love the hunt. If you are more focused on the hunt than the time spent with loved ones they won’t enjoy it

Reactions: 307

waitforit

Lil-Rokslider
Try not to get annoyed with her for not reading your mind. I have noticed that my elk hunting buddy and I have a lot of unspoken ways of doing things around camp etc very efficiently and I have to make sure I explain what Im doing and do not expect her to read my mind.

Marble

WKR
My .02...

My wife sounds like yours. But my wife is super hard headed and doesnt want to take advice on clothing, food, and water until she has the failing moment.

The biggest thing you can help your eye with is patience. Some of these are assumptions, but I would assume she will be slower, louder, have a lot of questions and be frustrated. So you have to be patient.

Next time, I will take my wife on her own hunt during a time when I wont be hunting. That way she gets what she needs and I can disappear solo into the woods.

jsb

FNG
Don't make her sleep on the ground if you are tent camping at the car. Get couple of cots. A roomy tent and one of those little heaters for mornings helps too. Have fun.