Tire chains on 35” mud terrains

dukhunt

FNG
Anyone running off road chains on bigger mud terrains? If so, what did you get?

On my current truck, I run a 7mm boron square link chain w/ camlock tighteners from tirechain.com on my 35” toyos..... I only run them on the rear on this particular truck, (brake clearance, etc risks not worth taking) mostly getting horse trailer out of slick places...

I have ran tire chains on multiple different trucks with 35’s though, as long as you have good clearance when axles are flexed tires turned sharp, etc should be good to go. If it’s a new truck, you’ll want to pay special attention up front 👍🏻

Wrench

WKR
I bought a set of chains for a 22"-24" semi truck tire. I had to cut about 10" off the end to work.

In a nutshell, they're awesome. Super tough, no bungee cords....all cam adjustable and can get super tight. They are quick to install and remove, and most of all......they're super tough.

I paid $150 for 4 chains.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bought a set of chains for a 22"-24" semi truck tire. I had to cut about 10" off the end to work.

In a nutshell, they're awesome. Super tough, no bungee cords....all cam adjustable and can get super tight. They are quick to install and remove, and most of all......they're super tough.

I paid $150 for 4 chains.
I also use a similar set up on my Jeep with 37s

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I had a local tractor shop make a set of boron chains for my Mickey Thompson MTZ 35’s. Pricey but worth it.

I used the v-bar ice chains from Tirechains.com. I have them for all four and with lockers in both ends it was a beast. I'd love to sell them, but not sure how to ship them.

I had some ladder pattern v-bar cam chains laying around that were a few inches too small for my heavy 35x12.5 tires. So I bought a couple 5/16x9x3/8 turnbuckle eye hooks to connect the outside links together.

netman

WKR
I’ve installed brand new mud tires on my Duramax this week in preparation for my return trip out west.
With brand new mud tires do you think chains are necessary?
I’m thinking the chains will work their way into the gaps on these tires.
Thoughts?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve installed brand new mud tires on my Duramax this week in preparation for my return trip out west.
With brand new mud tires do you think chains are necessary?
I’m thinking the chains will work their way into the gaps on these tires.
Thoughts?
No tire will offer as much traction or clean as well as chains. Tires offer no traction on ice either. Chains are easy insurance, at Les Schwab you can return chains if you don't use them for a restocking fee.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Titan

WKR
I always say get the most aggressive set of chains that you can fit. If you have the clearance, I like a set of v-bars and a set of heavy duty link chains.

Like realunlucky said, those mud tires won't help you on ice. In fact, less surface area might actually be more detrimental. Chains can be a life saver for sure.

OP
dukhunt

dukhunt

FNG
Thanks guys for the responses. I went with 2 pairs of these. Seemed easier than cutting to size after watching a YouTube video of a guy using these on his 35s.

Attachments

• 1D976FFB-114F-43B4-9D54-83F24F32172F.png
    1D976FFB-114F-43B4-9D54-83F24F32172F.png
    252.3 KB · Views: 33