Top 5 Elk Hunting Tips

rcwso

FNG
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I haven't seen anything like this lately. Whether you are a newbie or old timer what are your top 5 tips for everyone trying to have success at elk. It could be tactics, gear, pre-season stuff, anything you want to share let's hear it!

Anyone can buy a bow or gun and learn how to use it. Boots, tents, backpacks etc. all come in handy. So does physical fitness. But the sooner you realize that elk hunting is more of a mental game than anything the sooner you’ll be able to put all that stuff to good use.

kentuckybowman

Lil-Rokslider
1. Hit lottery and buy landowner tags on large private ranches in the valleys that are full of big bulls.
2. Same as above but purchase Governors tags in states that have them.
3. Drop out of any point games you are playing, you are rich so you can bypass.
4. Rub some dirt on all your new specialized elk hunting clothing so other dudes in camp don't think you are a newb.
5. Don't need 5 tips when you got the first two.

Fullfan

WKR
Get is shape, and when you think you are good. Add 30 pounds and 5 more miles.

Play the thermals, elk live by them.

Remember to embrace the suck, because it will suck bad at some point.

Chase every bugle, some of the worst bugles I have heard, ended up being stud bulls.

And most of all, have fun…

Wheels

WKR
Elk walk fast compared to humans, if you are dogging a herd, stay downwind and try to keep up which can be difficult in mountain terrain.
If you get in on a bull and can hear him rubbing a tree, move in fast, they rub with their eyes closed and you can walk right up to them. Have successfully done it several times.
As stated above, don't lose confidence, the action can change for the better within minutes.

Gerbdog

WKR
1. good boots
2. work out pre season
3. Bring a back up navigation tool and batteries
4. Keep moving until you find elk
5. Dont forget the TP at the truck... mountain house dont care about your hunting plans.... leads into: bring a small spade

I'd say that patience is the most important character trait to possess in any big game hunting, and this applies to bull elk hunting, as well.

Scoot

WKR
Some great tips above.

1) Learn how to call. It can be effective and is fun as hell.
2) Don't rely on calling alone.
3) If you're not in elk, keep moving until that isn't the case anymore.
4) Be aggressive! Patience kills mule deer, but aggression kills elk.
5) Elk hunting can be done in a million ways, but most of them are hard! Be persistent and enjoy the hell outta it! It will be over soon and you'll have 350 some days before you can do it again. It also won't be so many years before your time doing it will be over, so get out there and soak it up!

H2PVon

Lil-Rokslider
1. Buy a bunch of Sitka, a flat brim is imperative.
2. Get on Rokslide and say "I'm not looking for anyone's honey hole."
3. Go in deep.
4. Post how many miles you've walked.
5. Say "Bro" a lot.

I've never killed an elk but this seems to be what I've gathered so far from Youtube.