Training with the kid

Michael Pawul

Lil-Rokslider
I am doing my first backpacking trip this August... archery for bear, and after that I am planning on doing a solo trip for elk. I have started my training, and my 2 year old is participating with me. I have an osprey child carry pack that I could use, but he is just as happy, or more so, using the same Kifaru pack that I will be using for my trips. We are doing around 4 miles per trip as a start, and as he gets more used to it I plan on taking him on longer excursions (with some extra weight also). I don't have a whole lot of free time, so this works out both for my conditioning and spending time with my son.

Attachments

• IMG_20160330_100331.jpg
    IMG_20160330_100331.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 43
That's awesome, my wife an I are on baby watch right now hoping our first (boy) will be here any day now!

How do you like the osprey child pack? I looked at one at REI but also had the same idea to just stuff him in my highcamp 4800 and take off.

jwatts

WKR
When my son was younger he used to go check trail cams with me.

DSC01741-1.jpg

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
This is good stuff!!!! We are expecting our second child in June and this is exactly my plan!!! Glad to see others are thinking the same and I am not the only one LOL.

It is great training with the kiddos. I have three myself and this week I have been taking them on bike rides. My 6 yr old daughter is on the tag along attached to my mtn bike and the 2yr old twin boys are in the bike cart attached to the tag along. Backing up is a bit of a chore but they like to come along.

OP
M

Michael Pawul

Lil-Rokslider
It's ok... it does the job. He really seems to like to stand up in the pack though, and since it's the pack that I'm using for hunting this year I would rather use it anyways.

Congrats on the baby boy!

Dinger

WKR
My kids come out for an easy hike most Sunday's. My boy is a bit too long for the Highcamp now so my daughter gets the easy seat.

i-MLf5hdw-L.jpg

We usually make it a family affair as my Dad and I hunt together. My wife throws on her PT gear and runs the hill packless.

i-mfsh6C2-L.jpg

I usually do one circuit, down & up, with the kids at a family pace and then swap in a full jerry and go at it.

i-Sh6Dw3R-L.jpg

The kids love it and it gets three generations out on the hill working on staying strong and healthy. Good times.

Cheers,

Dinger

Attachments

• i-mfsh6C2-M.jpg
    i-mfsh6C2-M.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 13
  • i-Sh6Dw3R-M.jpg
    i-Sh6Dw3R-M.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 13