Tree stand

Yes! I personally prefer the regular hang on as opposed to the assault. Its only a bit heavier, and the platform is MUCH larger. But either way, I have 4 LW hang ons, and I do not feel there is anything on the market as good. Good luck!

I started whitetail hunting 3 years ago out of ladder and pre-set stands. Then went to a climber. Then to Lone Wolf and sticks. Then a rock harness and sit drag with Wild Edge steps. Now I’m at a saddle and single Muddy Pro stick or 4 WE steps with a knaider/swaider.

I would just shorten your learning curve and save a grand by going to the saddle hunter forums and reading until you you get it

I can climb 20 feet up any tree with 10 lbs of gear that all fits in a day pack. Which means I can also just still hunt, spot and stalk, ground hunt or hunt out of a tree. I’m ready anytime, all day, as far as I can walk, with no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a growing 4th category of stand hunting between a fixed setup that folks often leave up for weeks or even the entire season on private land....ladder stands that stay up for years...and climbers that you go up and down the same hunt. Some call it "run and gun" or "bow and go"......a lightweight stand that is easy to set up with lightweight sticks. The idea is that the best hunt from a particular stand is the first.....so you scout and set up on the spot for a one shot deal. That is where the Lone Wolf or XOP setups really shine. They are lightweight, but not as comfortable for long sits as say a Millennium with mesh seat and large platform. It is really an alternative to a climber because the function is really the same......just some feel it is quieter and easier than a climber.

I’ve used just about every brand of hang on stands. And by far lone wolf comes out on top. They set up dead silent no clanking around. You can set them up even on angled trees. For run and gun you can’t beat a lone wolf stand. Imo

I do a lot of whitetail stand hunting. I've done it all from heated enclosed stands to small hangons. You can't go wrong with XOP or millennium stands.

I'm patiently waiting on my Tethrd saddle package to be delivered, I'll let you know my first thoughts when it gets here. There are a lot of unique benefits from saddle hunting vs tree stand, so it might be worth adding to your list of possibilities.

Personally I’d go with the summit one that’s similar. Just because I have a summit stand and they are built very well and I trust them.

Summit Treestands OpenShot SD Climbing Treestand, Mossy Oak https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K13KMHW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_eoRIDb6KCGANP

Yeah I have a Summit Viper- not a bad stand, but super low slung seat that makes shooting a bow from it hard. Looking for an open front stand and a guy I know has one of those X Stands for sale

Yeah I have a Summit Viper- not a bad stand, but super low slung seat that makes shooting a bow from it hard. Looking for an open front stand and a guy I know has one of those X Stands for sale

There is also the sentry sd open front with mesh seat below $200. I have the 180 max and it’s extremely comfortable.

Slumper makes a web replacement seat for the Summit Viper that is fairly inexpensive and quite adjustable.....not to mention much less bulky. Without the big cushy Summit seat, I wrapped the rear bar in black foam pipe wrap and a few wraps of camo duct tape for a bit more comfort. Sits fine and is lighter.

It takes a fair amount of athleticism to safely hang a hang-on stand and steps. I did this for years but then I also had a tree service when I was young so I was used to climbing and moving around in trees.

When I was in my 20's and 30's, a lightweight hang-on stand and steps were my preferred option. Light and versatile. My stand and steps combined weighed less than 15 lbs.

Now that I'm at the 1/2 century mark, I really think climbers are the way to go. Much safer when used correctly.

Having said that, I'm looking at ground options more and more - the way I learned to hunt before tree stands became a "thing." That's the safest way of all, but also the most challenging for sure.

Fell in love with tree stand hunting for whitetail this afternoon and im looking to get my own stand. If anyone has any recommendations for a decent entry level stand they could recommend, i would highly appreciate the help.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Millennium hang on stand, summit climber

I will 3rd looking into saddle hunting. I’m from the southeast with plenty of straight trees. I’ve hunted from permanent ladder stands, box blinds, various hang-ons, and I have a Summit Viper with an interchangeable Open Shot seat. Climbers are great until you can’t find a suitable tree.

That being said, this will be my first season using a Tethrd Mantis and Predator platform for saddle hunting. I use Hawk Helium sticks and a 5-step aided. I can get pretty high up in any tree and pack it all in a day pack (guide lite frame with a mule pack by Mystery Ranch). There is a learning curve, however, I wished I had started sooner. Very comfortable. As stated above, save yourself some money on the front end and check out saddle hunting. Doesn’t look safe but it really is. Comfortable too. You’ll be glad you did. All sorts of YouTube Videos to check out and all sorts of DIY modifications you can do to tailor to your preferences.

For hang on I like the Millenium, but in my opinion the best for an all day is a Tree Lounge. It's the only stand I've ever been able to sit in all day. a bit on the heavy/awkward side though.

For a easier mobile option , summit , lone wolf and xop are good choices. Check your local fb sales and Craigslist. I come across several in your budget area. But as a few mentioned. Saddles , I made the switch when I acquired more hunting spots and didn’t feel like forming out tons of money for more stands. I switched to a saddle for a run and gun setup. It’s very versatile and I’d recommend thinking about one.

I got a River Edge Lite foot last year and I love it. Platform is cast aluminum and seat is very comfortable. Similar to the lonewolf stands.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Trying out the hawk Helium stand this year but the more I read about saddle hunting the more I'm interested.

Back