Trekking poles

Locus Gear (11 oz./pair), if you don’t mind spending the money, otherwise the Cascade’s (15 oz./pair), that Costco sells for less than $30. Personally, I’d go with the Costco ones, they’re plenty durable enough, flip locks, carbon fiber, and come with multiple baskets and tip covers. IMO, it just doesn’t make sense spending $100-$150 (sometimes even more), on a pair of hiking poles that are no different than the ones you can get for a fraction of that cost. I have 4 pairs of carbon fiber poles, LG, BD, and two Cascade’s, and wish I had only the two Cascade’s plus $300 in my pocket. Just sayin’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrongside

WKR
Black diamond
x2

I broke the lower section on one of my BD Carbons last fall. (I was being a goon, not a flaw with the pole at all.) Emailed BD CS, asking if replacement parts were available to purchase, not looking for warranty at all. The rep offered to replace my poles outright, but I reiterated that I wasn't expecting warranty, so he sent me 2 replacement sections for a very reasonable cost. Sample of one, but I came away very pleased with their CS.

Okhotnik

WKR
Locus Gear (11 oz./pair), if you don’t mind spending the money, otherwise the Cascade’s (15 oz./pair), that Costco sells for less than $30. Personally, I’d go with the Costco ones, they’re plenty durable enough, flip locks, carbon fiber, and come with multiple baskets and tip covers. IMO, it just doesn’t make sense spending $100-$150 (sometimes even more), on a pair of hiking poles that are no different than the ones you can get for a fraction of that cost. I have 4 pairs of carbon fiber poles, LG, BD, and two Cascade’s, and wish I had only the two Cascade’s plus $300 in my pocket. Just sayin’.

The Costco ones are a great deal and easy to replace parts. I like carbon but for really steep, rocky terrain I like the BD aluminum with cork handles.

n2mywake

FNG
I went with the Cascades in carbon with cork handles. I've been pleased.
The gritty podcast talks up the sissy stix but I have no experience with them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I've never used the CostCo models, but have used the Komperdell Ultralight Carbon Vario 4's for years and they've held up great. I also like the BD Alpine Carbon cork's. Neither are cheap, but they've held up well for trekking and tent & tarp supports.

Last edited:

MTJake

Lil-Rokslider
Black Diamond. Durable, light, the shock absorbers are nice for heavy loads, and multiple baskets for different situations.

x2

I broke the lower section on one of my BD Carbons last fall. (I was being a goon, not a flaw with the pole at all.) Emailed BD CS, asking if replacement parts were available to purchase, not looking for warranty at all. The rep offered to replace my poles outright, but I reiterated that I wasn't expecting warranty, so he sent me 2 replacement sections for a very reasonable cost. Sample of one, but I came away very pleased with their CS.

Wow, good for you! I had the exact opposite experience when dealing with BD customer service. I broke the middle section on one of my poles that was probably about 2 1/2 years old, and although I wasn’t expecting a free one, I also didn’t expect to have to pay $45 and wait over six weeks to get a replacement section.

Wrongside

WKR
Wow, good for you! I had the exact opposite experience when dealing with BD customer service. I broke the middle section on one of my poles that was probably about 2 1/2 years old, and although I wasn’t expecting a free one, I also didn’t expect to have to pay $45 and wait over six weeks to get a replacement section.

And that's what I'd consider subpar CS! Funny how experiences can vary so much.

I agree on the Costco poles. A couple buddies have been using them for a few years. Seem pretty decent, especially considering cost.

BD Trail Ergo Cork (18 oz per pair).
I decided not to go with carbon fiber for hunting. Aluminum will bend but still usable whereas the carbon fiber can snap and splinter. Don't want to fall on that. This was per the recommendation of the BD customer service rep. I was undecided so I reached out to BD. FWIW.

BD Trail Ergo Cork (18 oz per pair).
I decided not to go with carbon fiber for hunting. Aluminum will bend but still usable whereas the carbon fiber can snap and splinter. Don't want to fall on that. This was per the recommendation of the BD customer service rep. I was undecided so I reached out to BD. FWIW.

I use these as well. Al is very forgiving. CF, not so much.

ewade07

WKR
Once Sierra Trading Post opens back up look on there. I would go with aluminum. I have a pair of aluminum trekking poles i got with my snowshoes and they're great, have held up to 10 years of abuse. I was shed hunting last year and came across a guy who had some carbon ones and he slipped coming down a hill and planted his pole and it snapped right in half.

Just get the Costco cascade mountain one’s. They are pretty much just as good for a fraction of the cost. I got two pair for what I could an overpriced set of Blackdiamond and I get a discount thru them.