Trekking poles

Jarom974

FNG
What's is a good light wight trekking poles weight. I'm new to trekking poles. Any suggestions on good lightweight ones. How bout EASTON MOUNTAIN PRODUCTS TREK CTR 65 ION TREKKING POLES?

I used the $25 Cascade carbon fiber poles from Costco last year. If I see them again I will be buying more. Plenty pleased with performance especially considering the price. Only issue I had was had to re-glue a couple of the lock mechanism. Took about 5 minutes and 20 cents of superglue. I would love a uber nice pair of poles but would rather spend my money on other items I deem more important.

Jarom I use pacemaker Expedition Trekking Poles. Great set of poles well made a little heavy at 10.5 ounces but they havent failed me yet with the abuse I put them through. google pacemaker trekking poles the best part is the price under 50$ for a pair.

I use black diamond flick locks. They take a beating and are very strong. The locks do not slip and I'm heavier than most and put a lot of weight on them. About 100 for the pair but worth every penny

I use Black Diamond right now with the flick locks but I use to run the Corklite from LEKI. I actually like the Leki better but the BD are still good

The thing I thought about when looking at poles was the amount of weight I would be lifting with each step. I don't count ounces but that's one thing I can see definitely making a difference. I can really see shoulders getting fatigued. That's why I paid more for lighter.

I'm running the Black Diamond Contour Elliptics, love them, tough as nails.
Started with a pair of Cabelas finest and bent them in one trip, then got 2-3 months out of a pr of Leki's, going on 3 years for the BD

Another vote for the black diamond alpine flick lock carbon cork, just a little heavier than z poles but they are bomber tough. I'm super happy with mine.

Tough to beat a good pair of BDs....another vote for the ultra distance zpoles.

Last edited:
I have a couple year old set of Black Diamond Spires that are useable, though not my idea of ideal. Went to BDs website a while back to shop around and noticed they have some 2012 poles on sale for 33% off! Picked up a set of Z-poles in 130cm and saved $45! Just checked and there are still some Z-poles on sale, as well as the Carbon Corks and others. Guess they are liquidating last years model stock...

Anyhoo, just wanted to give a heads up to check out Black Diamonds website if you are in the market for trekking poles, you may find a deal!

I have used standard bd flicklocks and z poles. If solo i will take the flick locks as i need to be able to setup my tipi with my poles and the z poles cant do that.
If going with someone that is already using bd flicklocks so we can use those to setup the tipi I will save the 1/4 pound and use the Z pole style.

Like tomorrow when we kick off the 60 mile hike, i will be using the z poles and Becca will be using the flicklocks.

Back