tripod recommendations for a spotting scope

I just got back from my deer hunt here in CA and I busted my Nikon tripod. It was a cheap, but light weight tripod. Im leaving in a few weeks for a Coues deer hunt and need a new tripod. Was looking at the Vortex Summit SS-P, but I am open to any comments or suggestions.

Cripler

FNG
Running a Sirui T-025x Carbon Fiber Tripod. First year with it and was very satisfied with the function of the leg locks and the stability of the tripod.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
What size spotting scope? Hard to go wrong with the Slik 624CF.

The Summit SS was fine up to a 65mm scope, but anything bigger and I'd want a different setup.

OP
fire arrow
What size spotting scope? Hard to go wrong with the Slik 624CF.

The Summit SS was fine up to a 65mm scope, but anything bigger and I'd want a different setup.
I have an older 65mm swaro. 9 times out of 10 i am on my butt glassing and have not gotten higher than my knees.

bbrown

WKR
Im running the Sirui t-1005x with the Outdoorsmans pistol grip with the same spotter. Pretty solid setup at around 3 lbs but you could save some cash on the vanguard ph-111v head. Used it before i got the Outdoorsmans and was happy with it for the price.

boom

WKR
Not a fan of the Summit. Not the one with the ball head.

Good luck with couse!!!!

Lindley

FNG
I am also looking for a lightweight quality tripod for a Swarovski 65mm with a 25-50x zoom.

Are there any good comparison blogs or articles out there detailing specifications and brands to get me started?

I do quite a bit of photography and have four Monfroto heavy aluminum tripods and various heads. Great quality but too heavy for any serious backpack or backcountry hunting.

Outdoorsmans tripods! Went through many others over the years and couldn't be happier with the Outdoorsmans set-up. Built specifically for hunters and great customer service. Don't just look at the advertised price, after calling them and putting together a complete package, they knocked quite a bit off the total price. 3rd year using it now and not a single complaint.

Haven't tried a ton of tripods but I have been happy with my summit ss. Not a very good tripod for standing. But for packing and for sitting on your butt to glass it has been great for me. Lightweight and packs up small. I like the twist lock legs and its been durable. I run my binos and my razor 65 scope off of it. I love the ball head with my binos. For the spotter I prefer the pan head. I tried both versions but stuck with the ball head.

Eagle

WKR
I use the Sirui T-025x and c-10x ballhead as well. Not sure on the weight limit for it, but I believe it would be fine for the 65 mm swaro. It's great for using while seated as well.

LaHunter

WKR
I have used the Promaster 525 carbon fiber tripod for the past 3 seasons. It has performed very well for me. It has twist lock legs, which I like and it packs down very small and is light weight, so it is a good option for packing. My spotter is a 65 mm Vortex Razor and the tripod is plenty stable for it. 95% of the time I am sitting while glassing with my spotter, so it works great for me. If your standing most of the time, this one probably would not be a great option.
Hope this helps.

Shrek

WKR
I'm running the Oben ct 2331 tripod. It's ok fully extended for standing if the wind isn't bad and it's great for sitting. It weighs 1.6 lbs which is as light as I could find with standing ability. It's big negitive is its collapsed height. I've overcome this by using a bottle holder at the bottom of the bag and holding the top with the bag strap. Light and works great. I have the 700rc2 head and it's just ok.