Tripod Talk - Best bang for my buck?

ChurchAl

Lil-Rokslider
Completely new to the glassing game!

I’ll be going on my first mountain mule deer hunt this year and I picked up a Vortex Diamondback Spotter for the trip.

We will be backpacking, but more than likely just in 2-3 day trips. That said, weight is a factor, but I’ll still likely end up lighter than my 6-7 day setup.

Cost is definitely a bigger factor (hence the DB scope). I’ll more than likely take whatever advice I get here and keep an eye on the classifieds until my trip.

I was leaning towards a sitting tripod (Black Ovis Treeline?), but since I haven’t really spent any time glassing I’m not sure on the pros/cons of sitting vs. standing.

Wasn’t necessarily planning on shooting off of it, but I like the idea of it.

Interested in hearing everyone’s thoughts! Carbon vs. Aluminum, sitting vs standing, “Amazon alternatives,” what type of head, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eric1115

WKR
What binoculars do you have? I know it's not really the question you asked, but it's an important thing to talk about in recommending your best path toward optimizing your glassing system.

OP
ChurchAl

ChurchAl

Lil-Rokslider
What binoculars do you have? I know it's not really the question you asked, but it's an important thing to talk about in recommending your best path toward optimizing your glassing system.

10x42 Vortex Diamondback

The spotter is a 20-60x80 Angled Vortex Diamondback

This is pretty hard to beat for a budget head and tripod. I swapped out the VA5 after a few years for the Tricer LP but still run the sirui tripod. Works well for my needs.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the new BlackOvis plateau standing tripod and it's a nice. I thought the head was pretty smooth especially for it's price point.

All that said I find myself mostly glassing sitting down and the shorter tripods save weight and space.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

eric1115

WKR
10x42 Vortex Diamondback

The spotter is a 20-60x80 Angled Vortex Diamondback

Man if it were me in your shoes, knowing what I know now, I'd sell both the diamondback binos and spotter (or return if possible), get the absolute best pair of binoculars I could (Nikon HG, Meopta, Kowa, Minox, etc).
These are sold, but a perfect contender if you can keep an eye out for something similar.

Buy used, get an Aziak clamp and put them on a cheap lightweight Amazon tripod and shoot off your pack.
Something like this should work great.

Good binos will resolve as much or more than that entry level spotter, and save a bunch of weight in the pack. You'll find more animals since you'll be using them all the time and they will smoke your current binos to an extent that is hard to believe until you try them.

Last edited:

jimh406

WKR
I suggest watching the YouTube video by Vortex talking about tripods. It should give you some insight. Note: there are other videos by various people that talk about what's best for a particular type.

They discuss types, height, materials, etc. Those are pretty generic to all brands.

eric1115

WKR
Y'all are recommending $300± tripods to put a $200 bino and a $300 spotter on?

He's far better off cutting his losses and starting his system over. I'd take a used $700 near alpha bino on an $89 tripod 10/10 times vs the setup he's being steered towards.

idahodave

WKR
My son and his best friend use these, and they have been fantastic. I paid a lot more for mine, but if I had a do-over I’d have likely just done the same…

MANBILY

Dave

Wapiti151

WKR
Man if it were me in your shoes, knowing what I know now, I'd sell both the diamondback binos and spotter (or return if possible), get the absolute best pair of binoculars I could (Nikon HG, Meopta, Kowa, Minox, etc).
These are sold, but a perfect contender if you can keep an eye out for something similar.

Buy used, get an Aziak clamp and put them on a cheap lightweight Amazon tripod and shoot off your pack.
Something like this should work great.

Good binos will resolve as much or more than that entry level spotter, and save a bunch of weight in the pack. You'll find more animals since you'll be using them all the time and they will smoke your current binos to an extent that is hard to believe until you try them.
Could not agree more. Bet you a buck to a donut that you sell both of those the second you get back form your hunt due to the lack of quality and lack of being able to use them as a tool to HELP you on your hunt...you'll be more upset on your hunt because they simply cannot do what you want them to do. Sell em both and spend the money on the best 10 or 12x bino you can...hell even a decent-good 7x or 8x will blow those DBs away. Save the time, money and frustration by setting your system up right the first time. Get a decent tripod and a nice pair of binos and call it good for this hunt...then work to buy a decent spotter next year (or upgrade binos again before buying a spotter in a couple of years).

Set your alerts on the optics WTS ads, join the bird forum and do the same there. You'll find good deals on great optics if you keep an eye one it.

I've been exactly where you are, moved west...bought some cheap binos a crappy tripod and a DB spotter because I "needed' that spotter out west. You don't, good binos are the work horse...spotter is a "nice to have" that you absolutely do not need unless you are trying to really get in tight to judge a deer, which you won't be able to do worth a hoot with a DB anyway. A pair of good binos will tell you if you need to go after a critter 9 times out of ten within general hiking distances

And for whatever tripod you do end up with, as a budget head...can't recommend this enough, the thing is a great little head for the $. Although for $30 more you can get a VA5 and you probably have the best bag for your buck tripod head there is: https://www.amazon.com/SmallRig-Sel...0&sprefix=small+rig+fluid+head,aps,197&sr=8-3

Last edited:

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
I'll agree with trying to get the best binos you can, over dumping money into a real expensive tripod/head combo. Also, I'd start with a tripod that you can use either standing or sitting, vs limiting myself to a sitting only tripod to start. Especially if you don't fully know the terrain you'll be in. Nothing is worse than getting stuck in an area that you can't effectively glass from because the vegetation is too tall.

Here are a few items that won't break the budget, but should be a solid start:
Tripod: Smallrig Tripod
Optional Pan Head: Smallrig Pan Head or slightly better: Sirui VA-5 Head (Aziak also makes a lighter weight handle for this head).
Bino Mount: Tripod Post Adapter or Aziak Bino Clamp

A little tip if you go with the Aziak Bino Clamp. I run the arca plate of the clamp on the side of my binos. This lets me have the ball head fit into the groove on the side. Then, I can treat the ball head almost like a pan head and rotate my binos up/down, or pivot them around the tripod (see attached photo).

Attachments

• PXL_20231111_151929404.jpg
    PXL_20231111_151929404.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 18
OP
ChurchAl

ChurchAl

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like the general consensus is that I should have asked this question before choosing my binos/spotter

Good news is I have plenty of time to sort this out before October, I appreciate all the input! Back to the drawing board!