Trophy Taker A-TAC Broadheads

Several weeks ago, I broke down and ordered some A-TACs. I got the 125 gr Deep Six heads, which is what Dan Evans (owner of Trophy Taker) uses personally. They are extremely expensive and there are almost no reviews on them anywhere. Given my broadhead addiction, I just couldn't resist the temptation any more, so I got a pack.

Out of the box, they look absolutely top notch. Wow! Very impressive design and construction. You don't wonder why they cost $30 per head when you hold one.

They are machined out of a solid bar stock of stainless steel. The ferrules are 416 Stainless, so they will bend before they break. The main blade is .080" thick and is machined from 440A Stainless. The ferrule tip is a true cut on contact and is even thicker than the main blade.

Of real significance, the Deep Six models come with a titanium collar that slides over the arrow shaft, protecting it from any lateral force. That is a really cool and unique innovation.

I've been waiting for some warm weather to test the flight and finally got to do that today. First shot was at 30 yards--Bullseye in my foam target. Next shot was 40 yards--Bullseye in my foam target. Next shot was 60 yards and is pictured below. I simply couldn't hit outside of the black spots on my target, even with wind gusts of about 15-20 mph. The arrow flew extremely well--looked like a dart. I also shot my Exodus heads, which are my other favorite head, and they shot very well also...but not quite as well as the A-TAC.

I didn't shoot beyond 60 yet, because I need to change out my sight tape on my adjustable sight, as I've increased the weight of my arrows and was using a 125 gr head instead of a 100 gr one.

I can't wait to put one of these bad boys through a bull elk this fall. I will post reviews more as I test them further. Dan has shot them through Buffalo shoulders with no damage.

The price point is certainly not for everyone. I think the Exodus is the best head in the more "normal" price range. But if you got some extra funds and are hunting something big, you won't do better than the A-TACs.

Attachments

• ATAC 1.jpg
    ATAC 1.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 182
  • ATAC 2.jpg
    ATAC 2.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 182
  • A-TAC Shot at 60 yds.jpg
    A-TAC Shot at 60 yds.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 184
OP
Bowhuntr64
Here are a few more pics with the measurements shown.

Attachments

• ATAC 5.jpg
    ATAC 5.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 141
  • ATAC 6.jpg
    ATAC 6.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 150
  • ATAC 7.jpg
    ATAC 7.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 146
OP
Bowhuntr64
Any chance of a video review? Man those things looks wicked sharp!

I should do that. I have a YouTube Channel and could put it on there. I intended to take video of the shooting today, but wanted to wait till I had my sight tapes set up so I could shoot out to 80 yards. I will do that in the future.

I did just hear that the collar only fits on arrows with an outside diameter of .236". I shoot Injexion 400s, so that's perfect for me. Otherwise you can either sand down the shafts a bit or use them without the collar; they still have a solid steel ferrule and threaded post.

Oh, and as you said, they are wicked sharp indeed...even after pounding the foam for a while. The materials, design, and construction are amazing.

OP
Bowhuntr64
From TT, re the collar size:

The A-TAC collar is designed to fit perfectly on a VAP 300 arrow shaft. And runs about 0.002"-0.003" smaller than the VAP 250 or Injexion 330 O.D. Obviously it is not practical to make a collar to the exact size of every small diameter shaft out there......the A-TAC collars will fit over most shafts, but the stiffest spine arrows require you to slightly sand down the O.D. of the last 3/8" of the shaft. Various shaft finishes can also affect the collar fit.

The fast and easy way to sand down shafts is to chuck a nock up in a drill, slide the nock into a shaft (while nock is in the drill) and use the drill to spin the shaft while holding a small piece of fine grit sandpaper (with your thumb and finger) against the last 3/8" of the front of the shaft.......you only need to reduce the O.D. by a few thousandths of an inch, so this will only take several seconds of spinning the shaft against the sandpaper. As soon as the collar fits over the shaft, pull the shaft off the nock (still chucked up in the drill) and repeat for the next shaft......it is not uncommon to only be able to spin several shafts before you will need to chuck up another nock, so you will ruin a few nocks in this process.

OP
Bowhuntr64
I should add that Dan Evans said the new 125 gr head has a beefier tip than the 100 gr head and is thus a bit more durable. I will be testing it on a massive hog later this month and posting the results.

MattB

WKR
Interesting head design. The angle of the changeable blade is not optimal for efficient cutting. Time will tell if the quality of the blade (materials/hardness/sharpening) overcomes this.

OP
Bowhuntr64
Interesting head design. The angle of the changeable blade is not optimal for efficient cutting. Time will tell if the quality of the blade (materials/hardness/sharpening) overcomes this.

Yeah, I agree. I was surprised to see it that steep. However, I imagine it was done that way to keep the blade surface as small as possible, promoting greater flight. It sure does fly well. I would imagine with the leading blade opening a fairly wide and thick hole, due to its width and thickness, the larger blade is able to follow thru and cause the hole to open up even more in the opposite direction.

Dan has shot it through Buffalo femurs and shoulders effectively. I am eager to test it out later this month and see what happens.

OP
Bowhuntr64
Next week, I am going to test the A-TAC on a huge hog. I am eager to see how it performs. I am also going to test some other heads on the carcass after it's dead. I will video the results and post them.

Just today I told Dan Evans that I was going to test them out on a big hog and here's what he said:

"LOL......I already know how well it does......good luck on the hunt though!"

You gotta love the confidence of the owner/designer. He swears by these heads.

G5Archer

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely looking forward to this test/video! 👍👍

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk