Trophy Taker A-Tac Sharpening

chasewild

WKR
Last question...hopefully.

I love the design of these heads. But, universally, the complaint is that the front blade is not sharp and is hard to sharpen. I called Trophy Taker to inquire, and let's just say their customer service was about enough to make me just buy an Iron Will. BUT, has anyone found (1) that these heads are actually sharp; or (2) that they can be sharpened?

xcutter

WKR
I ordered some off Amazon in September. They were sharper than the USA made Atacs I had from several years ago. Cost was cheaper too because they are made in Taiwan now. As far as resharpening I just use an oil stone to sharpen leaving them in an arrow to hold on to. The bleeder blade must be removed for using this method. Really like these heads though. Shoot like field points for me. Shot through a whitetail doe a couple weeks ago like butter.

I use a strop with sandpaper 1000-1500 grit over the top and match the blade angle and work back and forth bleeders I can just push down with my finger and back drag. The main blades are a little tougher but with some work mine pop rubber bands with almost no effort and no rolling down the blade or sliding before they break.

OP
chasewild

chasewild

WKR
I ordered 6 of these from Amazon -- pack of 2 for $39 I believe.

Out of the box, they don't feel as sharp as an IW but they are definitely not dull. The bleeder is much sharper than that tip as others have commented.

They spun perfect, and they fly incredible.

Tried replacing one of the bleeder blades, and the screw hung up and rendered the broadhead unusable. I contacted customer service and they sent me two new broadheads.

I just love the design. The way these things fly is unreal. No ding-tests yet, but I'll report back after a season with them.

TravisIN

WKR
These heads are the most bad ass and most frustrating head I’ve ever used. They fly better than any head I’ve ever shot with out question. I’ve shot all pretty much every slick trick variation, muzzy variation, g5 strikers and montecs, ramcats, day six evos, wac em’s, hellrazors grim reaper hades, recently (finally) started shooting qad full blade exodus, and I’m probably missing some. But at 100 yards none compare. I won’t say that definitively about the exodus since I don’t have a ton of time with them. They just flat shoot man. Super durable. Don’t love the Allen screw setup since the bleeder can still have some wiggle. The bleeders are plenty sharp. But that main blade is dull as shit. I personally can’t get them as sharp as I’d like either. I’m not a great sharpener but I can do it. I’ve tried all the above mentioned, along with electric sharpeners. I just can’t do it. If they just sell them sharp I think they be a huge head for them. It has everything but sharpness imo. I can get them ok but not where I like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk