Truck Camping Set up ideas

Right now I have 2x4's and plywood spanning across my camper shell on my '06 Tundra Double Cab with 6.5' bed. Messing around the other day I found out my oversized Cabelas outfitter cot will fit perfectly in the back on one side. That leaves the entire length of the other side of the bed for ice chests, totes, bags, etc. Super stoked about this find.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's pretty similar to what I did with my 2005 Tundra DC! Love those Gen 1 Tundras!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Lol I take it you don’t do many backpacking hunts? It’s tight but reminds me of 2 man Mtn tents without the hassle of setup or breakdown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've camped in hammocks for up to six consecutive weeks and plenty of week-long BP hunts, spike and bivy but that photo is nightmarish, like being in a coffin. I need to be able to sit up.

I don't have a pic handy, but I built a cot sized bed platform over on of the wheel wells. It's nice to be able to sit on it to cook and tie your shoes as well as keeps the rest of the truck bed free.

sparelink

FNG
Here is what i used this year. milk crates on the corners. lets me have storage under and lots of room on the side. the ply is setup for a twin air mattress but think i might make it smaller and use a sleeping pad next year. this is a super mobile setup or use at base camp.

View attachment 62245

I have been researching this for awhile. Currently I just use a for but when my lady goes I have to unload the whole bed. That is why I'd like a drawer setup. Full width just higher then the wheelwells. This YouTube vid is prob the slickest setup if seen. Wish I was more of a carpenter I mite try it or see how much a cabinet guy would charge.
Homemade Truck Bed Drawers - YouTube