Trying to pick a Hilleberg

First, I would like to thank the creators/keepers of Rokslide for archiving all the info and opinions this great site creates. An awesome place to learn! So I'm trying to cannon-ball into the deep end this year and do some 3-4 day backpack hunts. I live in Montana and will be archery hunting elk in September-October, not above tree line. I have young children I hope to take with me one day, so looking at the larger Hilleberg tents, specifically the Anjan 3 GT and the Nallo 3 GT, but open to any models. I like the set-up and weight of the Anjan, but I've never seen a Hilleberg so don't know which tent would suit archery elk season in Montana, where all four seasons can happen in a couple days. Anybody have any experience or thoughts pro or con? I'm also curious if the extended vestibule for either model is worth the extra $100ish and extra lb? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
First, I would like to thank the creators/keepers of Rokslide for archiving all the info and opinions this great site creates. An awesome place to learn! So I'm trying to cannon-ball into the deep end this year and do some 3-4 day backpack hunts. I live in Montana and will be archery hunting elk in September-October, not above tree line. I have young children I hope to take with me one day, so looking at the larger Hilleberg tents, specifically the Anjan 3 GT and the Nallo 3 GT, but open to any models. I like the set-up and weight of the Anjan, but I've never seen a Hilleberg so don't know which tent would suit archery elk season in Montana, where all four seasons can happen in a couple days. Anybody have any experience or thoughts pro or con? I'm also curious if the extended vestibule for either model is worth the extra $100ish and extra lb? Thanks in advance for any advice.

I've used both extensively and I think the Anjan would do great. It's not as bombproof, but if you're not pushing the limits above treeline with wind and snowload, you'll have no issue.

The Anjan is the toughest 3 season shelter on the market.

You can cut the weight down without sacrificing the structural integrity too. I go over that in my Anjan review (not out yet).

Feel free to call, PM or email me with questions.....I've used all the Hilleberg shelters.

[email protected]

720-937-1418

Aron

OP
Browtinemt
That would be pretty sweet, thanks Aron. I read you were doing a review of some Hilleberg tents, but I thought it would be more about the single occupant shelters. I would really appreciate your time and perspective, I'll give you a ring Monday or when the holiday madness is over. Thanks a million again.

dryflyguy

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Kaitum 3 and I think it is great. I've had it in sub zero temperatures and in nasty, nasty Wyoming wind. I think the dual vestibule is worth every penny. We use the uphill vestibule for entry/exit, water and boot storage. We use the downhill vestibule for our packs and bows.

stephen b

WKR
Agree on the Kaitum 3- love that tent. It is a fantastic 4 season and all around tent. Great with being able to handle any weather thrown at it, and also very good with ventilation in summer with ability to roll up vestibules and great airflow.

If OP would have asked for great 3p all around all season tent, then the Kaitum 3 would be one of my first choices. But given his parameters stated, I 2nd that the Anjan 3 is a great choice. I have not used it, but at 4 lbs 4 oz or so- it is light, and will handle the weather in those seasons. I am also convinced that it would handle even more of a snow load than Hilleberg will recommend for it. There are some pluses and minuses for all Hilleberg models; but if you find and match the right one for intended use, they make a great quality product.