Turkey load alternatives

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, not sure about the "why". I would guess it is a safety rule. Shooting parallel to the ground, everyone all camo'd up...? Be nice if they put #4 steel in there instead!

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
I was very hesitant to spend $50 for 5 TSS shells too. My son moved up to a 12 gauge this past year so I took his old Franch Affinity 20 gauge compact and bought a full size stock for it. The gun is incredibly light and makes a perfect turkey gun. I bit the bullet and bought a pack of the TSS #9 and patterned it at 40 yards with the factory full choke. I was shocked at how well it shot. I can only imagine what it would do with a turkey choke tube. Anyways, I figure the 4 remaining shells could kill 4 turkeys. With the cost of everything else, what is $10 for a product that works so well? When I shoot my crossbow at a deer or elk, the bolt alone costs more than $10 and the broad head is $15 so everything is relative. Most people spend more than $10 worth of gas to get to their hunting spot, have at least $200 worth of clothes on, $100 turkey vest and another $100 worth of calls. Spending $10 on a shell that will absolutely destroy a turkey is well worth it.

Jusgunn3

Lil-Rokslider
Still shooting the hevishot loads that I stalked up on back when, can’t even remember the cost but number 5,6 duck loads are also fine. Hell the bow works great and I have only lost 100 $12 arrows! None of us complain about the beer and whiskey we buy, same should be for ammo…

dtrkyman

WKR
I have been hand loading my own TSS for 5 or so years, worth every penny! Much cheaper to load your own and no reason to use more than 1 5/8th or so.

I am aroung 6 bux a shot if I remember correctly.

The patterns that 1 5/8th oz throws are ridiculous, I am going to try a 1 1/4 oz load I have data for next. recoil will be non exsistent and save some more shot!

Foxtrot out of Indiana sells a 12ga 1 5/8th oz load,If I were buying TSS loaded I would start there.

I use Benelli Super 90 12 gauge and swap medium for full choke. I use same 2.75" #4 or #5 pheasant loads i use during the season. Dense patterns on center at 30 yards. Could probably shoot a little farther, but haven't needed to. These are lead loads, but I'm sure the Winchester Dry Lok steel would work too. I've never understood the fascination with turkey season marketing hype and stupid expensive shells.

Blowdowner

Lil-Rokslider
I have run the shotgun range at our Turkey Tune Up in San Diego for many years, I have seen it all and the #9 TSS puts more pellets in a tighter pattern than any other load. And choke matters a little bit with #9 from mod-to turkey choke all good out to 65 yds for most guns.
That picture is with Mod in my SBE
That’s a modified choke at 35? What does full look like?