Turkey vest

BamaNSC

FNG
Not necessarily looking to buy here, but any rec’s on a new turkey vest. Went this morning and lost a striker due to a hole that has apparently developed since last season. A new vest is in order; what y’all recommend?

madgrad02

WKR
I enjoy my cabelas Tactical tat'r vest. Like the built in backrest in a vest as I don't necessarily have to back up to a tree, etc. to lean against and can tuck into grass and such of the field edges i hunt. Were kind of pricey, but I have a family member who works there, so the 45% discount helps there.🤑 Granted my expertise in turkey vests is minimal having only chased then a few years now and it's the only one I've ever owned. Plenty of organized storage.

eamyrick

WKR
I just got a mystery ranch hip monkey in green and use a pad seat with a strap. I can carry all my stuff. Binos around neck, slate call and strikers, water, 3-4 spare shells, headlamp, turkey strap. Pack has enough room to put a lightweight puffy after it warms up.

hobbes

WKR
I prefer a traditional turkey vest. I don't want backpacks, I don't want satchels, I don't want hip packs, I don't want minimalist Sitka Vests, I don't want modular vests endorsed by YouTube, and it doesn't need to look like I'm part of a swat team. Give me a good solid pad to sit on, a little bit of back cushion, and plenty of pockets.

I currently have an older Cabela's but after handling a new one at the store, I think quality has tanked since basspro took the reigns.

Before the Cabela's, I used a Mossy Oak Elite for years and just kept sewing things up as I wore them out. I still use it occasionally now. It was probably a little hotter vest than the Cabela's with straps.

Alps has a couple vests that look like good vests to me, the Grand Slam, and Super Elite. I would remove the kickstand in the Grand Slam because it's too heavy and Its rare that I'd use it.

I'm disappointed in a lot of new vests because they have too many specific pockets. I don't want to have 4 specific spots for pot calls and 6 strikers. I want the pockets,I just don't want them specific. I also don't need a ThermaCELL specific pocket. I want one pot call, a couple strikers, one box call, a lanyard for a diaphragm pouch, and the rest to be an assortment of standard pockets for me to carry all the other crap I carry, gloves, masks, phone, license, maps, snacks, ammo, locator calls, water bottles, etc.

Apparently the market tells these companies that a lot of folks want something different than I do.

GR1NCH11

FNG
I have a a Knight and hale run n gun 200. Works well for what I need. The pack on the back is pretty small, it just barely fits a lightweight rain jacket plus a few other small items (Knife, tp, snack bar)

Wagner

FNG
I’m not real big and most vests are osfm. I HATE large vests…I went with the Sitka. I like it a lot because it fits me and my style of hunting.
Alps are nice, nomad, badlands looks real nice.

Swamppirate

Lil-Rokslider
With a very few exceptions, Cabelas/Bass Pro are not synonymous with quality. But again, it’s your money. Spend as you see fit.

dtrkyman

WKR
RNG 200, Tethrd, Final rise and Sitka are making some nice vests. Hate a traditional vest, cumbersome and I dont need that much crap!

I bought an RNG200 a few years ago for 38 bux on closeout, added a couple small molle pouchs and am good to go.

I would have to handle the new ones to choose but the Sitka and Tethrd look nice.

bradb

WKR
I like my Bucklick creek vest because of the "stadium " seat . No tree needed and not likethe ones with metal sticking out the back so when you can be by a tree your still stuck out from it. I think the quality isn't as good as it used to be on it and the but pad is very thin. But I still go to this one. When I got a new vest a couple years ago and I and sewn and glued my last one a bunch of times before I did get a new one. I ordered like 6 different vest in and sent back the ones that I did not want

hobbes

WKR
Just put my hands on the Sitka 5 minutes ago. I get the minimalist idea but it's like a fall arrest harness with a but pad, a couple tiny pockets and a Camelback. I thought early on that I may like it, then decided not, after walking by them at the convention. I'm pretty certain now that I've had my hands on one that I'm not interested in the set up. It consist of $50 worth of material and straps and a $200 logo. I'll use their clothing, but for now, I'm saying keep the "vest".

The Tethrd M2 looks good if you want to drop $300 on a turkey vest.
I used a Cabela's Tactical Tat'r for a while that was great but wanted to have a water bladder spot.
Got a Nomad last season that's minimalist that works for me.

Honyock

WKR
Knight & Hale Run-n-gun is my choice. Water bladder in the back and calls up front. Enough space for everything I need and I can adjust it to fit me instead of the one size fits all that doesn't fit anyone.

I switched from a vest last to FHF chest rig last year and love it I just clip a small foam cushion on a belt loop and everything else I need fits in the chest rig.

nosajnh

FNG
I have been using an ALPS Impact for the last 2 seasons and I am very happy with it. It has just the right amount of pockets, the cushion is a stadium chair so you do not need a tree that folds in and out with out having to take it off or unsnap/snap it. The front right pockets detach from the vest and can be used separately. I have not used the pockets separately. In general I am not a fan of ALPS however this vest checks the boxes for me.

Dazzler

WKR
At least the Tethrd is multi purpose, made in the USA and some proceeds are going back to turkey research!

485460fa51234e2f9437dddd89d39318.jpg

With Final Rise vest I’m curious how they get away with such statements.

bcv

Lil-Rokslider
Turkey vest are are a personal purchase. There isn't a best or perfect turkey vest. With that said, I have about 20 hunts wearing the sitka vest and have no reason to look at any other vest.

Jimss

WKR
No vest for me! Daypack or large kifaru pack for me. Can haul a couple decoys plus the ability to pack a tom or 2 out of the hills! Hauling a shotgun plus carrying a tom plus gear 1 to 2 miles isn’t much fun! If you hunt next to your truck a vest probably is ok.