Turkeys not Gobbling

dylaneh

FNG
I am a turkey hunter from Alabama. Ive been hunting since I was 5 years old for about 16 years now. I think I have gained a lot of experience and skills for turkey hunting. I have killed many turkeys and had great success where I hunt, however I still have a hard time knowing what to do and where to hunt when turkeys aren’t gobbling on a given day. I have some luck with spot and stalking where I can but thats not really available for most of the places I hunt. I guess I am looking for advice or some tips on what to do when turkeys aren’t gobbling, where is the best place to set up, calling techniques all of that.

Justin_Tree

Lil-Rokslider
I understand your struggle. Turkey hunting isn’t fun when they aren’t gobbling

My opinion is to be patient and wait in an area they you know the birds are using or corridors they move through. I would likely do some light calling but try to refrain from over calling. Or I may just go home and come back another day and hope they are gobbling lol.

One thing I remember reading(and I don't remember where unfortunately) is that turkey can usually pinpoint where a sound/call came from pretty darn closely - and that 60%(I believe) of the time a male Turkey will visit the location where it heard a female at some point during his day.

Sitting all day is too boring for me though, so I will usually hit the road and find a gobble somewhere.

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
There is nothing worse than spring turkey hunting as if you were deer hunting IMO. The sitting and waiting game is not for me. I would just go home and hook up the boat and go fishing.
I guess if I had to try to kill a turkey when they are not gobbling, I would set up in a field and put a decoy out and call lightly and not too often. Of course I would know that turkeys often came to this field so the chances would be good of at least seeing a bird.

Jethro

WKR
Hunting the silent bird sucks. I have set up in areas I know hold birds and called, sat and waited. When it works it’s awesome. When it doesn’t it’s a level of boredom that keeps me from doing this strategy often.

Macintosh

WKR
Smallies are on fire in may here. If the turkeys arent gobbling you know where I’ll be. Doesnt answer your question, but for me its a good solution that results in more fun.

FLS

WKR
Sit still and wait. If there is a gobbler close bough to hear you eventually he will come looking.

Set up in a likely area and call sparingly. Take a nap. Continue soft, sporadic calling. I will typically set up in a spot for 45 minutes to an hour calling every 15 minutes.

If nothing shows up, or I don't hear any gobbling, I move on to the next likely area and start again.

Listen to the Southern Outdoorsmen Podcast, particularly the reboot they just did (previously recorded episode) with Mike Pentecost, owner/operator of Woodhaven Game Calls. Great episode and he iterates perception and patience when turkey hunting.

Lots of good info on that podcast by some really good turkey hunters.

Reactions: FLS

WoodDuck

Lil-Rokslider
I take on the YouTube elk hunter mentality and try to find one that wants to gobble. Hike all day and hit them with a loud, aggressive yelp or two every 200 yards. The hope is that you eventually come into earshot with one that wants to talk. The louder the yelp the better. You want to ring the tree tops, and a loud diaphragm works best.

I think part of the reason this works is you sound like a hen on the move looking for a gobbler. I’ve had several times where you actually get past a bird before they respond (because you’re on the move going away from them). When that happens, sit down and get ready to shoot.

This is wooded country. I don’t think it would be effective for hunting fields or open country.

Try changing your call. On many occasions I've called toms in and not taken the shot, this happens with me more often when I'm archery hunting them. If you're not hunting with a decoy, they come in and don't find a hen they get wise to your call. Switch from the box to a diaphragm, slate, etc. Gobbling, crow call or any random loud bang/ smash will get them to sound off too...... sometimes. Roost them the night before, then you'll know where to be the next morning.

Turkeys get a bad rap for being stupid, but they can pinpoint a call and they do remember being f'd with.

KHNC

WKR
Turkey hunting is another day wasted not bass fishing! :)

*this from a current Grand Slammer.

Roost podcast with Ben O’Brien is great for thinking about this. As others have said, you can either post up on a spot you know that a turkey will be at some point and wait it out, or you can run and gun them. Some people might not want the first experience and would rather be out looking for turkeys… even if you don’t end up killing any.

Scottf270

WKR
On small properties I hunt very conservative. I'm quiet going in and don't move a bunch. You can easily run birds off your property if you are too aggressive.

I sit and wait and if a bird sounds off and is coming my way, I don't even call. It may be boring to some but it works. I have found being where the turkeys are going is more successful than chasing them.

Reactions: FLS