TX Nilgai Meat Hunt - Thoughts?

OP
KGP1603

KGP1603

FNG
One of the outfitters that got back to me said August is a bad time to hunt Nilgai. The heat in South TX is punishing for sure but I can work around that (used to live there).

But the main thing he said was that in August bull Nilgai hides aren’t black and don’t make desirable hides/mounts. I can’t seem to find much information about this and trust a Nilgai outfitter that guides for these animals but was curious if anyone had any knowledge about the seasonal changes in bull Nilgai coats. Also weights if known.

Unckebob

WKR
There are people that hunt the King Ranch shoreline by boat along the intracoastal waterway. This is very remote and I believewhat the previous poster referred to as shady. It's he not clear to me the legality of this as it applies to trespassing which in Texas is treated very seriously. I have read posts alleging its the depth of water the animal is standing in when shot. If you choose to hunt this way be clear about what you are doing and where. Have done several hair on hide tanning, makes nice rugs, cows are red, bulls gray.

I forgot most of my property law, but I believe the landowner's property only extends to the high water mark.

Nevertheless, I doubt it can be done legally.
1) what if the animal runs onto the ranch's land after it is hit? Trespass to retrieve it - yep
2) if the bullet passes through the animal and hits the ranch, trespass - yep.