Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
I would expect good penetration at 400 as it has likely dropped below its explosive threshold, but the pic makes it look like maybe it hasn't? I can't tell if it stopped at 10.5 or continued. My resolution here is not very good, sorry.
Even if it did stop at 10.5 why do you need penetration beyond the vitals?
Shouldn't the goal be to cause the most devastation in the vital area?

SLG

FNG
Even if it did stop at 10.5 why do you need penetration beyond the vitals?
Shouldn't the goal be to cause the most devastation in the vital area?
You don't need penetration byond the vitals but a bullet that only penetrates to the vitals in a lab will often fail in the real world. If your angle is a little off, if you want to go through the shoulder, if the animal moves a drop, a bullet that penetrates minimally will often fail under anything but ideal circumstances. I don't take 400 yard shots on game, so a bullet going that slow is not a part of my big game life. At closer distances and higher velocities, it will penetrate less.

Another question that I chose to ignore until your question is what gelatin was that shot in? If it isn't calibrated ballistic gel, it really doesn't mean much. Skin adds a very substantial barrier to penetration, and many internet ballistic junkies fail to test or report properly. Which is why only the FBI and the Army have any real data that matters. Obviously some ammo companies test as well, but you might be surprised how few. Objective is not how I would categorize most of those.

Obviously people are happy with that bullet regardless, so I'm not attacking its ability in anyway. I'm just speaking generally here. At work we use bonded bullets because people are much tougher and less predictable than animals. I like some of that same margin for error when hunting 4 legged edibles as well. I could go on a bit more, but dinner calls.

180ls1

WKR
The IMI stock folds and is only 6.5 oz total...

Edit: And is much cheaper than that

Edit 2: And you also eliminate the need for a buffer nut & plate

Do you know the combined length with the upper + IMI?

I have a minimum length requirement of 26" folded (CA). I think a 16" barrel will be too short. 18" *may* do it and 20" will surpass 26" total.

Any thoughts?

ChrisAU

WKR

I have a minimum length requirement of 26" folded (CA). I think a 16" barrel will be too short. 18" *may* do it and 20" will surpass 26" total.

Any thoughts?

I can measure mine tonight, it’s a 10” 350 Legend

Choot

FNG
Classified Approved
How good does the bolt on the solo 300 stay closed when carrying the gun around? I like to carry my guns on a 2 point sling front slung. I’m just worried that with the bolt on the left side against me it could get bumped out of battery fairly easily. Trying to build a 300blk for deer

ChrisAU

WKR

Any thoughts?

Folded in at 19 1/8” OAL with a 10” barrel and a YHM SRX mini muzzle brake. Perhaps a 16” barrel and a pinned and welded muzzle device gets you to 26”? Or maybe just go 18” barrel?

ChrisAU

WKR
Does your Kidon stock curve slightly to the right? Mine wasn’t molded correctly and I’m deciding if I should return it or if they’re all like this.

I would say yes there is a little offset but it doesn’t bother me shouldering it and may be intentional for right hand shooters.

IMG_7115.jpeg

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
How good does the bolt on the solo 300 stay closed when carrying the gun around? I like to carry my guns on a 2 point sling front slung. I’m just worried that with the bolt on the left side against me it could get bumped out of battery fairly easily. Trying to build a 300blk for deer
It can get bumped open more easily than a traditional bolt rifle, but generally doesn't. Carrying like you will, I think it's less of an issue than some other carry options.

Mine is usually slung on the right side of my pack frame when mountain hunting. It occasionally gets bumped out of battery if the rifle is "bouncing and banging" while traversing rough terrain, so I have a habit of checking it, but I would do the same with a Remington 700 while going through brush, for example. This is only an issue if carrying chambered. If the chamber is empty and the hammer is down, like it is most of the time, it doesn't happen and is a non-issue.