UM Hinged Scope Rings

The clamp piece under screws that fasten to pic rail broke on mine. Um was aware and in the process of informing customers fri afternoon.
Edited to say that after reaching out to UM, they have provided a return shipping label and honored their word to take care of customers who have already purchased these rings.

Last edited:
I thought the original delay was they didn’t perform as well as desired in drop testing? I’m surprised a material choice would be the issue at this point, or that a massive flaw wouldn’t have been proven out through testing the design before manufacturing. Makes me a lot more interested to hear what’s up.

The bummer is they really seemed to be a stout and unique kind of product/design. I guess I’ll have to use a set of Hawkins or NF ultralights to remove? Maybe seekins? Damn.

Many many years ago Badger had the same issue. Word from them at the time was a batch of material was miss labeled when shipped to them and they ended up too brittle after heat treatment and they split. They sent everyone new clamps. Stuff happens.

Many many years ago Badger had the same issue. Word from them at the time was a batch of material was miss labeled when shipped to them and they ended up too brittle after heat treatment and they split. They sent everyone new clamps. Stuff happens.
I sure hope its something like that. That would be entirely understandable.

Who in the heck wants a hinged ring?
Solution without a problem.
Reminds me of the old Weaver rings that hook on one side and tighten on the other...as the scope rotates and cants the reticle.
As long as I am not worried about weight I'll take the hinged M Brace rings/mount over anything on the market. IMO its the best out there. Even with the hinge.

As long as I am not worried about weight I'll take the hinged M Brace rings/mount over anything on the market. IMO its the best out there. Even with the hinge.
I'll admit to being an old school Fud.
Don't like most vertical rings either.
What is the claimed advantage of the hinged rings?

I'll admit to being an old school Fud.
Don't like most vertical rings either.
What is the claimed advantage of the hinged rings?
I actually haven't looked at any marketing to say what is good/bad about a hinge.

The ARC rings hinge on each side. There is 1 screw across the top that is horizontal. It's hard to actually rotate your scope while torqueing it down. They are simple and basic. You don't have 4-6 screws per ring for just the top cap.

American Rifle Company is the manufacture. If you get a minute take a look since I'm sure my explanation was lacking the design.

The Tikka rings clamp also. I wonder how they will fare if they are the same material and have the same dimensions on the clamp.

There was an Email sent out from Unknown Munitions.

The Tikka ring clamps have way more material, due to the counterbore not being cut into the clamp. The bolts are also centered between the retainer and the dovetail. The Tikka clamps won’t fail.

Hey Roksliders, Please read below regarding an issue we have with our Hinged rings that in no way applies to the Tikka rings. The Tikka rings have passed all extreme testing with flying colors.

We will always stand behind our products and be up front and truthful about any unforeseen issues.

This letter was emailed to all customers who purchased UM Hinged Rings:

Good morning,

You are receiving this email because you purchased and/or received our new UM Hinged Scope Rings.

It deeply burdens me to write this because this project has been a passion of mine since October 2022. I wanted to create a new scope ring design that put hunters first and checked all the boxes.

Shortly after shipping the first production run of rings, we identified a design flaw in the base clamp that prevented it from coming to full torque in certain installations.

The base clamp can crack, noticeably or unnoticeably, when torqueing to min spec rails or in pic positions with a slight gap behind the ring.

Please do not use or install the UM Hinged Scope Ring set you have received.

We spent the last 5 days trying to solve this issue with replacement clamps and have realized there is no way to cover all potential installations in its current design.

We will take the rings back to the drawing board and redesign the clamping of the base and scope to create a bomb proof set of rings you will be proud and confident to use on your hunting rifle.

You, our customer, have 2 options:
  1. You can reply to this email and request a full refund, no questions asked, and we will send you a return label for the rings.
  2. You can hold tight and wait for new rings to be delivered to you. We will automatically send these out to you once completed with a token of our appreciation for waiting. I can’t guarantee a delivery time for the revised rings but this project is at the top of our priority list in the shop and we’ll move as fast as quality allows.
Please know that we’ve been testing these Hinged rings for the last 6 months and completed 7 different design revisions to get to this point. Testing and design were not taken lightly.

This design issue does NOT affect our UM Tikka Scope Ring line in any way. The Tikka rings have hit the ground running as expected and have received rave reviews on Rokslide.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and for your continued support of Unknown Munitions, we appreciate you!

@Formidilosus @Ryan Avery

@Unknown Munitions - same as Ben, I’d like an update.….it’s been a week and now they are pulled?

I’m not looking for a post in reply explaining what’s going on in a public forum, but I certainly expect something sent to those who bought (before design was done, and waited, and now?)
I sent out an email this morning and posted here to the end of this thread.

Back