Unit 16a NM Outfitter recomendation

stxhunter

FNG
First year to apply for elk and I drew a unit 17 first archery hunt in New Mexico! I’m still debating on a solo DIY hunt or getting an outfitter. Any recommendations on outfitters in this area?

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
Speaking from experience of being in your spot a few years ago I vote get an Outfitter if you can.

I was going to solo diy as my hunting partner had an application issue and was unable to apply with me.

My wife pretty much insisted on an outfitter after I made the mistake of showing some YouTube footage of the unit for safety plus taking maximum advantage of a very difficult to draw tag. Unit 17 is a very rugged and remote unit as well.

I'm really glad I did, had a great hunt, learned a ton and killed a nice bull for the area.

I'd say as a first timer solo diy with a bow the odds are stacked against you. These tags are too hard to draw IMO, GO with an outfitter if it's within your means.

I don't have many recommendations other than 505 Outfitters. He doesn't list that as one of his primary hunt areas but he may have a guide experienced in the unit. Give him a call and ask his experience and confidence in the unit. He's a straight shooters with lots of years in the business. If he can't do 17 he can likely point you to someone who can. Again, Pete has been in the business a long time and been very upfront and honest with me.

Another one to call would be Justin with NM Arrowhead Outfitters. I haven't used them but did contract with them this year. I've read good things about him and talked to him on the phone a few times. Unit 17 is one of his spots and he has a camp set up there.

Best of luck and congrats on a great draw.

OP
S

stxhunter

FNG
Solid advice and exactly the reason I’m leaning towards an outfitter. I’ve never gone on a guided hunt and always concerned with horror stories I’ve seen, so I’m really interested in those who have had good experiences or bad.

For those that have used an outfitter, how did you make your final choice? All of them claim to have high success rates and know the area.

I’ll contact 505 and arrowhead, thanks for the response!

I highly recommend calling GT Nunn with Frontier Outfitters. He has a base camp just across the road in unit 13. I killed a great bull with him a few years ago on the first archery hunt.

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
I do a lot of internet searching where they'll pop on forums like this. There will be good and bad on most of them.
You need to read between the lines on the bad as many times it's someone who can't be pleased.

RED flags would be anything where you hear complaints of them skirting or breaking the laws, being late or having poorly maintained equipment. IMO, that suggest someone who doesn't take his job or business seriously enough for me to spend my money and hard earned time with. Take note of the words "job or business". Most of the guides you'll spend your time with are independent contractors and may work for multiple outfitters. Nothing worse then having your guide show up with a truck that has 4 bald tire of which 3 aren't matching.

Also, those who have been in business 10 plus years are likely doing it right. There's not enough room for screw ups and word tends to travel fast.

Ask how they hunt. Do they hunt wilderness area's or do they try to state / BLM / NF. Do they move around a lot, spot and stalk, glassing, water holes... If you have a preferred hunting style, IMO, it's best to find one that hunts that way. You're not likely to convince an outfitter to hunt your style or spot if it's not what they already want to do.

For example, I contracted fairly late in the season on my elk hunt due to the reasons listed above. I found an outfitter who had transitioned to mostly private land hunting but built a business for 20 years on the wilderness where I wanted to hunt. After a few conversations we determined that me an his oldest son who was in his mid 20s and grew up in elk camp would be a great match. It was and we had a great hunt together. He's still on my short list should I draw that unit again but I didn't mention him here as I know they don't hunt 17.

Last edited:
OP
S

stxhunter

FNG
Thanks for the tips, I’ll definitely keep them in mind. The only other guided hunts I’ve done was for duck, so this is completely new to me. I’ll be calling around this week to start narrowing down my list.

OP
S

stxhunter

FNG
I may have actually made a mistake on the unit, I think the document I read for the hunt code was old. My tag is for 2-272 … is this 16a?

Wait, you aren’t even sure which unit you drew!? When you put in for the draw and click on the choice you want a box pops up below the hunt choice automatically telling you what unit it is. Then you should write it down….. lots of outfitters in the state but you better figure out your unit first.

OP
S

stxhunter

FNG
Applied back in January and totally forgot to write it down… life happens and I’ve been extremely busy, when I googled the hunt code it originally came up as unit 17. I went back today to the New Mexico website to look at stats and realized I was originally looking at the wrong unit.

There you go again. 1st time applicant draws a 16a tag. I have heard about that soooo many times, including myself. You'll never draw another 16a tag ever again, so hire a guide. Game & Fish suck you in to get the licensing fee every year.

I heard good and bad things about Gila DNA who lives in Reserve. Another few guys who know 16a pretty well, but they do not scout no matter what they say. 1 guide spends 1/2 his life in alaska, then comes in the night before opening day, and he'll tell you his buddies did the scouting.
1/2 these guides are junkies who never renew their outfitter license. Reserve is known for drug attics.

Plenty of wolves which you will see driving down the main rd.

Still had a good experience just to be in the GILA.

Hunt Hard outfitters. Jeff Lester. He and all his guides are great guys and know the gila units well. I used him in 2021 in the early archery season and we were on bulls everyday. I did a lot of research before I settled on Jeff. He’s a no bullshit type guy. I reached out to 20+ outfitters. Do some research and reach out to several different outfitters and go with one who feels right to you.

WRO

WKR
Hunt Hard outfitters. Jeff Lester. He and all his guides are great guys and know the gila units well. I used him in 2021 in the early archery season and we were on bulls everyday. I did a lot of research before I settled on Jeff. He’s a no bullshit type guy. I reached out to 20+ outfitters. Do some research and reach out to several different outfitters and go with one who feels right to you.

Jeff’s legit as it gets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk