Unit 60

gabenzeke

WKR
Still researching for my 2017 hunt and was looking into CO unit 60. I ordered maps, but on Google Earth it looks like there are a ton of roads. Called the hunt planner phone number, but the guy said there aren't many out that way and the ones that are there are mostly closed. Can I trust the folks on that number? Anyone know from experience if you can get away from people in this unit (relatively speaking, it is OTC CO)?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Unit 60 is very tough for elk and it is even tougher to get away from other hunters. Almost all the roads are open in this unit and even if you hunt the Little Forest area there will be guys coming in from Sinbad Valley and October Bench.

About the only place to get away is going down into Rock Creek, but there just aren't many elk in there. The bulk of the elk hang on the private areas like Red Ranches by Buckeye Res and JB Ranches on top of John Brown.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
Wow, thanks for the intel. The CO website lists a description of the unit almost exactly the opposite. I'll keep looking or be heading back to 75/751

KMT

WKR
I don't know about 60 in particular, but generally, you will find roads in all units with lots of public land. Don't let that stop you. That's why I chuckle every time I hear of someone "packing in 7-8 miles". In most places I know, that would put you a mile or two past the road you just crossed by walking 7 miles.

Thomas11

WKR
I'd be intrested in what u turn up on this unit? I researched it last yr but it has very good success rates across the board. I didn't get a lot of info that I felt confident in. It is a small unit with even less elk habitat

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
I'll be honest, at this point I'm pretty sure I'll head back to 75/751. When I called the hunt planner they made it sound like am awesome unit. I even wasted 60 bucks on various maps. But the more I've dug in, I'm not sure it's the one for me. Just doesn't look like a lot of elky areas, though my initial thought was going early and hunting water might be the ticket. Who knows.

I talked with some guys from California two years ago during archery season that said the same thing as Thomas11 and they had spoke with the game warden Kevin Ducket who told them exactly the same thing ( high success rates on elk ).

They had been hunting in the unit for nine days and had only seen one cow elk.... They were packing up and heading to a different unit for the rest of there hunt when we pulled up to talk with them.

Most of the elk in this unit get killed on the private.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Thomas11

WKR
I actually spoke with Kevin as well but I didn't get a lot outta of him that I considered good info. I mean he was a nice guy just not much info. There's honestly not much private. The best looking private is up around "little forest" so my plan was to start there but it's such a small area. It looks to be only 1000 acres or so of forest service up there

The Little Forest is where a lot of guys will be hunting. Most of the private is in Utah along with most of the elk. Most of the elk will not move into Colorado until later in the year.

Also if you hunt the Little Forest be prepared to have no trespassing signs on public land and people from that ranch trying to run you off. Kevin knows about this and does nothing.......