Unknown tikka action mod issues…

khuber84

WKR
So the rings now have to be dove tail, and not just that, need a wide stance on the action, which is always best for the most scope support. But if a guy is running a scope with a short body, this will also present complications. Not only with mounting, but also achieving proper eye relief.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
They changed it today after people got emails into them. It wasn’t like that 7 weeks ago when mine was sent in.
Yeah I remember now that I saw it was mentioned early on in thread about the process https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/lightweight-tikka-action.339593/page-3
a06e6586e75358bfc61687e671b4205a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

So the rings now have to be dove tail, and not just that, need a wide stance on the action, which is always best for the most scope support. But if a guy is running a scope with a short body, this will also present complications. Not only with mounting, but also achieving proper eye relief.
Correct, there’s a thread of a guy who had Kampfield Customs do the same thing on his tikka a year and a half ago, he was set on the baby nxs but had to change his approach because of the spacing. Well eye relief but same thing.

Dobie07

FNG
Sorry to hear about the issues @Rooseveltwrecker. Definitely sucks to feel like a beta tester. On the bright side, it seems like you now have an action that’s within roughly an ounce or so of a similarly spec’d defiance medium action. From what I understand you’re fairly limited on those with mounting length as well. And you’re definitely money ahead after their price increase.

I do wonder if UM could drill new screw holes for direct mount rings, was that discussed at all?

OP
Rooseveltwrecker
Sorry to hear about the issues @Rooseveltwrecker. Definitely sucks to feel like a beta tester. On the bright side, it seems like you now have an action that’s within roughly an ounce or so of a similarly spec’d defiance medium action. From what I understand you’re fairly limited on those with mounting length as well. And you’re definitely money ahead after their price increase.

I do wonder if UM could drill new screw holes for direct mount rings, was that discussed at all?
They haven’t emailed me back but did offer my buddy a set of rings for the problems so being standup by him, I already ordered a set of rings to make it all happen. No talk of a new mount hole that I have heard

OP
Rooseveltwrecker
Correct, there’s a thread of a guy who had Kampfield Customs do the same thing on his tikka a year and a half ago, he was set on the baby nxs but had to change his approach because of the spacing. Well eye relief but same thing.
Yeah and I plan to run my nx8 or a vx6 on it which might turn out to be interesting to say the least.

300stw

FNG
wouldnt be hard to offer an option of leaving front hole and .25in of the action or so, for us talley lovers, i have 4 actions i was considering this mod, but no go if i cant use talley type setup,

This is a hard no go for me, taking away 99% of your optic mounting choices to achieve 3-4oz weight loss......really putting yourself in a box.

Yeah, I am going to be that guy.

Technically, it is only taking away 50% of your options. Prior to the mod your options are UM rings, SM rings, MT Raptor mount, Pic rail, Talley direct mounts, or Hawkins direct mount. Doing this mod removes your ability to use the last three. The first three are still options. You could throw in the original Tikka rings that came with the T3 models as another option for 1" scopes as well. They can still be had.

All that being said, even removing 50% of the available options is not that great.

OP
Rooseveltwrecker
This is a hard no go for me, taking away 99% of your optic mounting choices to achieve 3-4oz weight loss......really putting yourself in a box.
Yeah they have updated site now it looks like but I didn’t know I was loosing the direct thread option for sure.

OP
Rooseveltwrecker
wouldnt be hard to offer an option of leaving front hole and .25in of the action or so, for us talley lovers, i have 4 actions i was considering this mod, but no go if i cant use talley type setup,
Yeah be slick for sure

OP
Rooseveltwrecker
Yeah, I am going to be that guy.

Technically, it is only taking away 50% of your options. Prior to the mod your options are UM rings, SM rings, MT Raptor mount, Pic rail, Talley direct mounts, or Hawkins direct mount. Doing this mod removes your ability to use the last three. The first three are still options. You could throw in the original Tikka rings that came with the T3 models as another option for 1" scopes as well. They can still be had.

All that being said, even removing 50% of the available options is not that great.
Yeah in the long run I’ll just put dovetail rings on it just wasn’t aware I was gonna have to do that. Trying to get guys in the know but also looks like they updated the website yesterday.

TheTone

WKR
Guessing you could ask them to do the other action cuts and not do the port cut?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
The documentation should have been better, but there is no free lunch chasing ounces.

@Rooseveltwrecker, if you're not happy with it, send it back to UM. They would swap your actions and refund you the difference.

I just got mine back, and it will probably be my only "lite" Tikka action cause I like my rifle at 9+ pounds. But I will be getting all of them Nitrited.