US issues kill order for feral cows in New Mexico

There are public land grazing leases in Colorado (and certainly other Western States) where not all of the cattle get rounded up before winter. Those cattle should be fair game for hunter harvest after a certain date in my opinion. I ran into a cowboy looking for strays once while I was fishing and told him that I had seen a dead calf upstream. He then told me that a they lose a number each year to predators and ones that they just can't find during the fall roundups that end up as winter kill. If there are people willing to go hunt feral cows for human consumption it's ridiculous to me that a helicopter and sharp shooter are being utilized first to just leave the entire carcass to scavengers.

Blasphemy.

Isn’t it funny how peoples perception matters?

Wild horses create wayyyyy more destruction than cows…but it’s OK to shoot cows.
If you think wild horses aren’t getting a bullet these days you are misinformed. Granted it isn’t happening on state or government land but on private ranches it’s open season.

Coues123

FNG
The FS permit where they are located was bought decades ago by NM Game and Fish.
If a rancher had the permit there wouldn't be feral cattle there.
Last year USF&WS came in and shot 67 from the air.
Another FS contract was simultaneously paying a private contractor to put them in a corral alive. That contract moved 20+ out alive.
Feral cattle in NM become property of the NM Livestock Board.
The FS is basically telling the State, well do what we want on federal land just as they did with the wolf reintroduction.
The driving factor behind the shooting is an environmentalist group sued the FS over the cattle on the Gila River where 95% of them are located. The environmentalist group worked with the FS to shoot the cattle as a mitigation to the lawsuit.
USF&WS does the shooting so their wolves don't get shot in the process.

yfarm

WKR
New Mexico is an open range state, law requires you to fence out animals not the owner to fence in. You are liable if you hit an domestic animal on a road rather than the owner responsible for the animal. Try seeing black animals on blacktop on a no moon night. Went in the Gila last fall by horse SE of Snow Lake, went thru gates in well maintained fences but the terrain becomes very challenging the deeper you go. Rounding up cattle would be tough near the river or south of the river.

fmyth

WKR
Ok. Sign me up. Get this going in AZ for the horses and those damn feral burros!
My sons friend was driving his motorcycle home from Saguaro lake one night a few years ago and hit a feral horse on the road hear the Salt River access parking area. It was all over the local news and the "Salt River Wild Horse Management Group" wanted him prosecuted for killing their horse with his motorcycle/body. They put up a road side memorial for the damn horse. Poor kid spent some time in the hospital and rehab. He should have sued the horse huggers for failure to keep their horses off the damn road.

I mean, what’s really stopping folks from shooting a few feral horses, they’re in some remote parts of Nevada, whack one and move on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fmyth

WKR
I mean, what’s really stopping folks from shooting a few feral horses, they’re in some remote parts of Nevada, whack one and move on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Probably the fear of spending a year in jail and the $2,000 fine. Over 40 have been shot here in AZ and there is an ongoing investigation.

dtrkyman

WKR
SSS

I would imagine it happens here and there. If I owned a ranch they would be a non issue quickly, one way or another.

I see them in New Mexico quite often.

Raise your hand if you would pay for a tag to hunt feral cattle in the Gila.
Sure wish they'd do this with some of the AZ cattle roaming in places they shouldn't be.

MJB

WKR
If you think wild horses aren’t getting a bullet these days you are misinformed. Granted it isn’t happening on state or government land but on private ranches it’s open season.
On the Res they use them to bait the bears.......