US issues kill order for feral cows in New Mexico

They love to tell you the horses a wild, not feral because Congress said so.
It is called the Wild Free Roaming Horses and Burro Act of 1971...It may be semantics but technically they are correct. That's what Congress called it.

It's bad and poorly written legislation and needs to be repealed.

Any hunting/conservation Orgs lobbying to have this law changed/repealed?

bobinmi

WKR
I assume you call pheasants, chuckars, and huns feral, not wild.
Did they come from domestic stock? If so, then I guess I should change my vernacular. If not, the term doesn't apply.

feral (ˈfɪərəl; ˈfɛr-) adj 1. (Biology) Also: ferine (of animals and plants) existing in a wild or uncultivated state, esp after being domestic or cultivated

cmahoney

WKR
It is called the Wild Free Roaming Horses and Burro Act of 1971...It may be semantics but technically they are correct. That's what Congress called it.

That’s what Congress called it, not what they are.

Here is Webster definition of feral, what’s more accurate?

(especially of an animal) in a wild state, especially after escape from captivity or domestication.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmahoney

WKR

Does the inflation reduction act reduce inflation?

That’s what Congress called it, not what they are.

Here is Webster definition of feral, what’s more accurate?

(especially of an animal) in a wild state, especially after escape from captivity or domestication.

I totally agree with you, they are technically feral, just like the hogs that plague the landscape here, but under the current law they are considered wild. Hence the question who is working to change the law?

Did they come from domestic stock? If so, then I guess I should change my vernacular. If not, the term doesn't apply.

feral (ˈfɪərəl; ˈfɛr-) adj 1. (Biology) Also: ferine (of animals and plants) existing in a wild or uncultivated state, esp after being domestic or cultivated
Fair.

There's not really a word in English that accurately describes all the stuff man has relocated...

But wild isn't really accurate for so many different species.

WCB

WKR

Ranching industry groups and other rural advocates are concerned that the action taken in New Mexico could set a precedent as more grazing parcels become vacant across the West.

Ranchers say fewer people are maintaining fences and gone are the rural neighbors who used to help corral wayward cows. Some have left the business because of worsening drought, making water scarce for cattle, and skyrocketing costs for feed and other supplies.

WTF does anything in this statement have to do with unbranded feral cattle living on public property? So there are vacant pastures..so free grazing is now allowed and any cattle left just get to multiply and live there? If these guys are so concerned about it...mount up and go get them.
I have friends that ranch and my sister and her BF have a ranch in MT. They are logical and try to look at most stuff from different angles. I read my sister this quote and her words were..."Then brand your cattle and maintain your fences. If cows get out which is fairly common have the resources to get them back they are yours."

Baddog

WKR
What’s the law on harvesting or just shooting and leaving a “wild” cow?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Doesn't the state own and control the management of wild and feral animals within its borders? Why is the FS doing this? Is that their jurisdiction? Shouldn't it be the state, and yes they should be issuing tags for these cattle to avoid the waste. Just look at all the feral Aoudad sheep in NM. The state controls those tags.

dtrkyman

WKR
The Gila is national forest so maybe why the feds are in on it. No need for tags, if they are truly feral go get ya some!

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Ok. Sign me up. Get this going in AZ for the horses and those damn feral burros!

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
The Gila is national forest so maybe why the feds are in on it. No need for tags, if they are truly feral go get ya some!

Think he was referencing the fact that people constantly throw out that it's up to the state to decide how to manage critters, i.e. tag allocations, res/non res.