Vanes and broadhead question

finner

Lil-Rokslider
I'm building up a dozen arrows for the late archery season here in Montana. The plan so far is Black Eagle X-Impact 300s cut 25.5" ctc, stainless F.O.C.O.S outsert (100g) with a 150 grain Iron Will solid up front, and the occasional Swhacker 150grain mech. In the back, I'll use a 4" Bohning wrap.

I was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction with vanes. I'd like to 4-fletch with AAE Pro Max vanes at as much helical as I can get, but I'm worried that those tiny vanes won't be able to sufficiently steer a fixed blade head in wind. I've always used Bohning Bronco vanes on my Rampages, but I'm looking to try something different. Thoughts on the Pro Max vanes vs. the Max Hunter or Max Stealth?

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
I'm building up a dozen arrows for the late archery season here in Montana. The plan so far is Black Eagle X-Impact 300s cut 25.5" ctc, stainless F.O.C.O.S outsert (100g) with a 150 grain Iron Will solid up front, and the occasional Swhacker 150grain mech. In the back, I'll use a 4" Bohning wrap.

I was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction with vanes. I'd like to 4-fletch with AAE Pro Max vanes at as much helical as I can get, but I'm worried that those tiny vanes won't be able to sufficiently steer a fixed blade head in wind. I've always used Bohning Bronco vanes on my Rampages, but I'm looking to try something different. Thoughts on the Pro Max vanes vs. the Max Hunter or Max Stealth?

With your current set up that should be about 500 grains and FOC about 18%. If you tune your bow very well those ironwills should fly just fine even in a good wind. If you were going to switch vanes I would either use Max Stealth or Q2I II Fusions vanes. I haven't had a problem with the fusions and my Ironwills, VanDiemans, VPA 2 blades or any other small compact head I have.

Florida Bow Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I second the Q2i vanes for any arrow combo.

My only question is why so much helical ? I’m shooting a FMJ 340 with 175 grain German Kinetic @ 1 degree with great flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

horse43

FNG
Q2I fusions as well. I have to use the X for 4 fletch to keep my FOC in check cause my shaft is 31". My arrow total weight is around 530. 4 X's group me well out to 70, which is all I can practice at.

But you'll be able to use the normal size.

And just a slight offset helical will be fine.

One thing with AAE is the amount of prep you have to do. I think the Stealth would be best.

If you are tuned up well, I don't think vane choice will matter all that much.

One thing you could try is 4 with AAE, 4 with Q2I, and 4 with another like a vantech in the 3 to 4" length and see what it does all at the same offset and helical. Or even 4 different vanes on 3 arrows. Then you could throw in AAE Pros.

Your arrow setup may like a certain weight back there better than the cut/size of the vanes. More weight back there will stiffen your arrow up a bit.

Once you find the combo you like, then start playing around with offset.