Vehicles, you can fix?

Gmt800 chassis vehicles. There are a half dozen common maintenance items to do them, but if you can start with a solid example and keep the rust at bay they’re pretty simple, reliable, and tons of parts options.

Easiest vehicle I've ever owned to work on was a 1993 YJ with a straight 6. That's a good thing too because I tore the piss out of it. I sunk it one night, pulled plugs to shoot water out of the block, replaced the oil and drove it home. They don't make em like that anymore.

Here's the cosmetic fixes on the XJ so far
Dent in bummer, dent in quarter panel, driver's door, refurbished front grill and bring back the original black. Mechanically we got most of the parts, but waiting on 2 things to do O ring seals and muffler, radiator hose are done, so one more weekend and she'll be good as new.
My son detailed the inside and man alive, it looks nearly new, he did an amazing job!
1000003375.jpg1000003374.jpg

Last edited:
@AZ8,

I'm glad I'm not the only one like that. I had the same thing happen to me a hand full of years ago. Got under the truck to check and lube the u-joints and it just hit me - vertigo, nausea, the sweats. I had to turn on my side and wiggle out. I laid there on my side till I could get back up, made into the house and sat in a chair till it passed. I thought I was either dehydrated or having a heart attack at first. It happens every I try to crawl under a car/truck now. It's a PITA for sure.

its getting harder and harder I tell ya. Just bought my wife a 2020 subaru.. You need a freakign computer to put hte vehicle into "brake change mode" before changing the brakes.. WTF..

My truck is a 2015 and I can do just about everything on it. I'm about to replace a few transmission cooler lines. Relatively easy to work on but everything is f-ing expensive about this truck

I haven’t heard of this yet, but I’m not surprised. Where did you hear about it? A quick google search turned up nothing.
I watch a lot of videos from Scotty Kilmer's channel, and he complains about it all the time. He's been a mechanic for 40 years or something and includes links to all his scanner tools, etc..., in his videos. In general very good advice on cars to buy, cars to avoid, and how to fix some things. 6.2M subscribers.

https://www.youtube.com/@scottykilmer

This video at the 3:35 minute mark

Last edited:
@AZ8,

I'm glad I'm not the only one like that. I had the same thing happen to me a hand full of years ago. Got under the truck to check and lube the u-joints and it just hit me - vertigo, nausea, the sweats. I had to turn on my side and wiggle out. I laid there on my side till I could get back up, made into the house and sat in a chair till it passed. I thought I was either dehydrated or having a heart attack at first. It happens every I try to crawl under a car/truck now. It's a PITA for sure.
Yup. Total PITA. My doc gave me a clean bill of health. He thinks it's vision related, even tho I check them every year. Or in my head, ie, developing claustrophobia.

I watch a lot of videos from Scotty Kilmer's channel, and he complains about it all the time. He's been a mechanic for 40 years or something and includes links to all his scanner tools, etc..., in his videos. In general very good advice on cars to buy, cars to avoid, and how to fix some things. 6.2M subscribers.

https://www.youtube.com/@scottykilmer

This video at the 3:35 minute mark

Interesting. Thanks! I appreciate it. I’m a long time Ford guy, but was debating trying a couple Rams at work.

Interesting. Thanks! I appreciate it. I’m a long time Ford guy, but was debating trying a couple Rams at work.
I'm on my second RAM. First was a '15 Larami Ecodiesel and traded it for a '19 Limited Hemi due to expected high dollar repairs on the ED. The ride, options, etc..., have been great on both. The '19 has around 85k miles and has been a super reliable truck so far. They do have some dumb issues though. For example, when your battery dies and you replace it, they will throw all kinds of codes for the first several miles as the computer re-syncs or something. Also, I'm in IA, and when it gets really cold the retractable running boards are a real PIA, even if you keep them clean and lubed.

That's about where I'm at now. Especially things where I need to crawl under the vehicle.

Within the last 10 years or so, I've developed a condition when under a vehicle, I become extremely nauseous and get vertigo, to the point of actually puking sometimes! Even for a simple oil change! Doesn't happen when I'm laying in bed, couch or camping on the floor of a tent! Only under a car! Weird!

I need to buy a lift for my garage!! lol
Sounds like vertigo. I first got vertigo rolling off my cot in a tent. Everything was spinning. Came home and did exercises to get fluid in my head to dissolve crystals. Happened again changing oil in my truck. I rolled over quickly and got it again? So, yeah I get it from rolling over in a cramped setting?

Reactions: AZ8
Good video for the Jeep guys. Inline 6 and standard tranny...
Yeah, I remember when AMC made jeeps and I saw oil drip pans with oil under new Jeeps. I thought it was funny. The older Toyota Land Cruisers, especially the small ones were so vastly superior reliability wise.

Agree, and I have a $125 bluetooth model that has saved me a ton. I originally bought it for clearing random false positive codes on my Ecodiesel and have since used it my Impala and LaCrosse as well. Handy little bugger that fits in a 2"x2" pouch. Plug it into the port and connect to iPhone app and you're off to the races
You got a link for that $125 unit you can share?

Back