Velociradar vs. Labradar LX vs. Garmin Xero

Gila

WKR
I was hesitant to jump on the Garmin Xero bandwagon before the Shot Show. Now I see that there are three new radar chronographs: 1) Garmin Xero — 2) Labradar LX — 3) Caldwell Velociradar. From what I understand, the Garmin Xero is the only one that doesn’t have any down range capability. The Velociradar has downrange velocity and actually calculates, displays BC. The Labradar LX down range velocity only goes far enough to calculate the Power Factor.

I am leaning toward the Labradar LX because it comes with everything and I can toss it in the range bag and go. It appears that Labradar is “the gold standard” for radar chronographs. However I have not owned one. Garmin is the “new kid on the block” cutting their teeth on this new radar chronograph technology. The Velociradar sounds impressive, but not made on this continent from what I understand.

WKR

WKR
I will be staying with the garmin. Labradar was too late and will most likely have poor app integration and connectivity. And caldwell is to big.

The downrange stuff is a moot point for me as I would need to self verify the results anyway, and at that point you are already doing the work of calculating your true bc.

Edit: I wonder how hard it would be for garmin to release a patch or update, that has some downrange capabilities. Any tech guys on here know if thats even a possibility?

OP
Gila

Gila

WKR
I suspect that the reason for the larger cases of the LabRadar V1 and the Velociradar is to sense radar signals down range. The cases are actually larger antennas to increase receiver sensitivity gain. Velociradar uses CHIRP (pulse compression) radar while the Labradar uses Doppler radar.

I don’t know if a firmware update would be able to increase receiver gain enough to get down range velocity without a larger antenna (case). The Labradar LX case is made out of aluminum for better signal gain. But the Labradar LX can only look down range about 20 feet or so. Not far enough to get an accurate BC.

Reactions: LoH

ljalberta

WKR
I’d be real surprised if those who have used both Labradar and the Garmin would put Labradar as the gold standard.

No experience with the new Labradar or Caldwell personally. But all my Garmin products I’ve always been very impressed with. The Xero hasn’t missed a beat for me. I think the market is now Garmin’s to lose.

I sure hope we get some reviews and head to heads for the other new units though.

As a quick note - the Garmin lists about 20 yards of flight required for accurate measurements if I recall correctly. I’m not sure if the LX unit is doing anything the Garmin isn’t.

I also wouldn’t put a ton of weight on the notion that Garmin is the new kid on the block here and cutting their teeth on this tech. Garmin is a massive tech company and has development and expertise capacity that I suspect might be difficult for Caldwell or Labradar to match. So far, the Xero really speaks for itself.

Last edited:

atmat

WKR
Garmin outsources everything around the World. Labradar does everything in house in Canada.
Labradar also rested on their laurels for 7 years. The LR was bulky, tricky to get setup well, often missed shots, and had terrible app connectivity.

It seemed once Garmin came out, LR rushed a new and improved model out.

Garmin puts out incredible products, whether they be GPS, smartwatch, marine, or chronographs (keep in mind this is not their first chrono). They’re a legit tech company.

The Garmin is sooooo far ahead of the old LR, Caldwell, and Magnetospeed. I see no reason to deviate.

Grundy53

WKR
I just switched from a magneto speed to a garmin. It's no comparison. The garmin is so easy. The best part is you can just shoot normally. It doesn't affect your poi and you don't have to worry about shooting it. There is basically no set up. You just turn it on hit new session and set it near your barrel and forget about it. I'll probably use it every time I go shooting. There's no reason not to.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

OP
Gila

Gila

WKR
That is what I am hoping to get with the Labradar LX.

I certainly can’t discount the Garmin. However Garmin could kill a product line if it doesn’t make qtrly or if part availability becomes an issue. On the other hand, Labradar has been in the game along time. Labradar is the entire company and is a smaller company. I believe they have been planning the LX for quite awhile because the LX was introduced at the shot show. The Labradar LX can be pre-ordered with planned delivery about late March. That tells me that they are throttling up their production line to meet demand.

The price of Labradar v1 has dropped at least a hundred dollars plus they are giving first responder, military discounts. Labradar is also updating their v1 and intend to keep that product line going. Certainly can’t completely discount the velociradar. It comes with everything and has a rechargeable battery. Also calculates and displays BC. The price is right for the Velociradar. I believe the Garmin may be made in Taiwan. The Velociradar could be made in China.

atmat

WKR
On the other hand, Labradar has been in the game along time. Labradar is the entire company and is a smaller company.
It’s literally all they do and they still got beat out by Garmin. Let that sink in.

I believe they have been planning the LX for quite awhile because the LX was introduced at the shot show. The Labradar LX can be pre-ordered with planned delivery about late March. That tells me that they are throttling up their production line to meet demand.
Did they have a functioning model at Shot? Because that tells me they are trying (but thus failing) to keep up with a competitor.

blkqi

WKR
I certainly can’t discount the Garmin. However Garmin could kill a product line if it doesn’t make qtrly or if part availability becomes an issue. On the other hand, Labradar has been in the game along time. Labradar is the entire company and is a smaller company.
The chance of Garmin killing their chronograph product now is far smaller than the chance that Labradar will be out of business by EOY.

Dschwan

WKR
I have had the magneto speed, labradar, caldwell g2 and ballistic and now I have the Garmin. No comparison to ease of use and reliability. Stick it by the barrel and go. For down range numbers just set it up down range and shoot by it. Primal Rights has a good video on the subject.

OP
Gila

Gila

WKR
We get it Gila, you like LR stuff and that's great. Get yourself one. In the meantime, Garmin is kicking asss and taking names in this sector and will continue to do so.
Don’t know yet if I will like the LR products. The purpose of this thread is to make a comparison of the three radar chronographs. The CE DLX chrono that I have has been very good with blue tooth and the app is easy to use. About the only things I would get with the radar units is ease of setup and I wouldn’t need to carry a standard height tripod.

OP
Gila

Gila

WKR
It’s literally all they do and they still got beat out by Garmin. Let that sink in.

Did they have a functioning model at Shot? Because that tells me they are trying (but thus failing) to keep up with a competitor.
Garmin hasn’t beaten anyone. Some people waited to see what the shot show would bring…..some jumped on the Garmin as soon as it came out. You like the unit great…i am willing to wait and see what Labradar and Caldwell have to offer.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I’m always curious to see what new products bring to market.

But having owned or worked with all three companies products (adding magnetospeed too) over the last decade, I’ll say I will be very impressed if Caldwell or LR come close to the garmin…mainly just in % of picked up shots. I personally feel I am missing nothing with the garmin (I don’t care about downrange BC or it breaking shot sessions).

I’ve only missed a single shot this far and it was because it was 3’ below the bore and aimed 20 deg off. 100% my fault.

ljalberta

WKR
Garmin hasn’t beaten anyone. Some people waited to see what the shot show would bring…..some jumped on the Garmin as soon as it came out. You like the unit great…i am willing to wait and see what Labradar and Caldwell have to offer.
I think Garmin has certainly beat every unit currently available. And if you’ve used the currently available chronos, it becomes clear the gap between the performance of the Garmin and everything is significant.

Now maybe the new, but not yet available Caldwell unit and LR LX will be as good or better, but they’re not available. I sure hope they are absolutely incredible and push the market further, but the Garmin currently wears the crown. As a Canadian I’d love to see LR succeed.

I also appreciate that others want to give the Caldwell and LR LX a chance and support the smaller more focussed companies. Garmin has earned my business though through consistent production of excellent products.

atmat

WKR
Garmin hasn’t beaten anyone.
In nearly every measure, the Garmin is better than any product LR, Caldwell, or Magnetospeed has out right now. They have beaten them all. So you’re objectively wrong. But that’s okay, you’re free to be wrong.

Sure, some of those companies are pushing upcoming products — and those may be good for all we know.

But the Caldwell was announced 3 years ago and still isn’t out. And LR had virtually no improvements for the better part of a decade. So I’m personally choosing not to hang my hat on those companies. If they smash it and outperform Garmin, then I’ll happily buy one.