Velocity not even close

I guess I don’t know. I took it as how high was I shooting at 100 yards
Kudos! I'm just glad you are trying to figure it out on paper! Some go straight to the field with the box velocity and the app info! First get your basic inputs correct and go from there! Apps are Anything but perfect. Keep working at it!

OP
J

jsad

FNG
Kudos! I'm just glad you are trying to figure it out on paper! Some go straight to the field with the box velocity and the app info! Get your basic inputs correct and go from there! You will find the apps don’t work out to the nth degree. Keep working at it!
Thanks

I would re zero your rifle at 100 yards. If you are going to dial there is no advantage to zero at a different distance.

I don’t see any other glaring errors in your input but I would double check your sight height. Very few scopes ride at 1.5” above bore. Most run 1.7 or higher. This will definitely induce error in your solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
J

jsad

FNG
I would re zero your rifle at 100 yards. If you are going to dial there is no advantage to zero at a different distance.

I don’t see any other glaring errors in your input but I would double check your sight height. Very few scopes ride at 1.5” above bore. Most run 1.7 or higher. This will definitely induce error in your solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That’s what I was beginning to think I’ll just start over. And I will double check the hight. Thanks. You just measure to the bottom of the scope correct?

That’s what I was beginning to think I’ll just start over. And I will double check the hight. Thanks. You just measure to the bottom of the scope correct?
No sir! YouTube might be your friend here “determining scope height” etc…

Mag_7s

WKR
To get center above bore: bolt diameter divided by 2, scope tube diameter divide by 2. Then measure from top of bolt to bottom of scope. Sum numbers.
Example: bolt diameter. .7 ÷2= .35.
Optic. (30mm) 1.181÷2 = .5905. Top of bolt to bottom of optic. .939
.35+.5905+ .939 = 1.87. 1.87 is your scope height above bore.

OP
J

jsad

FNG
To get center above bore: bolt diameter divided by 2, scope tube diameter divide by 2. Then measure from top of bolt to bottom of scope. Sum numbers.
Example: bolt diameter. .7 ÷2= .35.
Optic. (30mm) 1.181÷2 = .5905. Top of bolt to bottom of optic. .939
.35+.5905+ .939 = 1.87. 1.87 is your scope height above bore.
Thank you.

Macintosh

WKR
Redo your inputs and put a value in for bullet length, elevation, etc. Apps are pretty darn good, but ONLY if inputs are good. Unless your handloads are so bad that the 2200fps velocity is possible, its clearly not right—so you have a bad input somewhere.

OP
J

jsad

FNG
Redo your inputs and put a value in for bullet length, elevation, etc. Apps are pretty darn good, but ONLY if inputs are good. Unless your handloads are so bad that the 2200fps velocity is possible, its clearly not right—so you have a bad input somewhere.
I agree. I know the 2200 isn’t right because I took average on a whole box shooting through the chronograph. I think I’m gonna wipe the app and start all over.

The simplest explanation is probably the correct one. Your scope is not adjusting when you turn the turrets. That's way more likely than your rifle suddenly losing 500+ fps regardless of the scope being used, and a near certainty given your particular scope model.

3 ft is way off at 450 yds for sure. I had a rifle on a coues deer hunt one year and its a tack driver. I got off the plane and tried to zero my rifle took 12 shots to get it to "zero". I even shot it mid week at 250 just to be sure. turned out when time came I couldn't hit my deer at 400, multiple times shot 2 feet over, even when i turned the turret down to 300 yds and aimed at its belly. I had checked all the visible screws and they were secure but when I got home I removed the scope and a non-visible base screw had worked loose. Just something to consider. Or maybe its more simple like the chronograph gave incorrect readings or something got written down incorrectly? Its frustrating for sure. Best of luck in solving the problem.

eric1115

WKR
Back to basics, did you shoot another group back at 100 after the 450 attempt?

Step one: check for obvious loose screws in scope mounts, loose suppressor/muzzle brake, action screws.

Step two, shoot 5 rounds at 100 yards with the turret at zero. If that group is good (1.5ish or less), and centered, proceed.

Step three, shoot 5 rounds at 300 (or 450 or whatever), scope still at zero do not dial a correction.. You'll need a decent size piece of cardboard for this if you're at 450, but nothing crazy. If that group is good and low by roughly what your calculator predicts with a high 2760 FPS MV, proceed.

Step four, measure that difference between centers of those groups, convert to MOA (example 10.1" x 100 ÷ (300 x 1.047) = 3.22 MOA difference at 300 yards), dial 3.25 MOA and shoot another 5 shot group. Report back with measurements.

This will 99% certainly sort this out.

Last edited:
OP
J

jsad

FNG

Step one: check for obvious loose screws in scope mounts, loose suppressor/muzzle brake, action screws.

Step two, shoot 5 rounds at 100 yards with the turret at zero. If that group is good (1.5ish or less), and centered, proceed.

Step three, shoot 5 rounds at 300 (or 450 or whatever), scope still at zero do not dial a correction.. You'll need a decent size piece of cardboard for this if you're at 450, but nothing crazy. If that group is good and low by roughly what your calculator predicts with a high 2760 FPS MV, proceed.

Step four, measure that difference between centers of those groups, convert to MOA (example 10.1" x 100 ÷ (300 x 1.047) = 3.22 MOA difference at 300 yards), dial 3.25 MOA and shoot another 5 shot group. Report back with measurements.

That is very helpful thank you. I will see if I can get this done this weekend. I will post all info when I do this. Thanks

OP
J

jsad

FNG

This is my 5 shot group at 100. First two shots are top and bottom left. Last three are the tight group.

Attachments

• IMG_5186.jpeg
    IMG_5186.jpeg
    238.5 KB · Views: 9