Video camera for the wife

Jd259

WKR
Hey guys so the wife was watching old home videos from when she was a kid and now she decided she wants something more than the iPhone to record home videos of her own of the family and I’m far from a tech guy so I’m looking for suggestions on a decent handheld video camera that would fit her needs would like to keep it under 4-500 bucks thanks in advance!

The 2 best options in camcorders would be Sony and Canon. We stopped selling camcorders years ago, as the point and shoot and digital SLR's do as good and in many cases better jobs. There are limits with those options, 29 minute clips and less powerful zooms as the camera sensors get larger. The big plus is the image quality of the video and the stills so you have 1 camera that does both.
If you want a true camcorder then, like I said, go Sony or Canon

Stalker69

WKR
I have a canon, can’t recall the model at the moment, but it was less then 400.00. And it does really good if you ask me.

OP
Jd259

Jd259

WKR
The 2 best options in camcorders would be Sony and Canon. We stopped selling camcorders years ago, as the point and shoot and digital SLR's do as good and in many cases better jobs. There are limits with those options, 29 minute clips and less powerful zooms as the camera sensors get larger. The big plus is the image quality of the video and the stills so you have 1 camera that does both.
If you want a true camcorder then, like I said, go Sony or Canon
So from what I gather your saying just get a “traditional” camera that also shoots video and you kinda get the best of both worlds? What do you guys that you carry that would fit the bill for what I’m looking for I’d happy to support your guys business if you offer something that would meet her needs!

Best to give me a call as there are a lot of options depending on what she will be filming. I am here EVERY day thru 12/24
Joel
516-217-1000

OP
Jd259

Jd259

WKR
Best to give me a call as there are a lot of options depending on what she will be filming. I am here EVERY day thru 12/24
Joel
516-217-1000
Awesome I’ll give you a call this afternoon when I free up some time!

Wapiti1

WKR
Small and high quality video Panasonic ZS100 or ZS200. Also good stills. Bigger sensor than most consumer camcorders and the capability to take good still photos. The Sony RX100 series is great too, but may be over your budget.

Jeremy

OP
Jd259

Jd259

WKR
Small and high quality video Panasonic ZS100 or ZS200. Also good stills. Bigger sensor than most consumer camcorders and the capability to take good still photos. The Sony RX100 series is great too, but may be over your budget.

Jeremy
Willing to stretch the budget a little if I’m going to go with the camera/video option just want something of decent quality that will fit her needs and after what Joel said that’s more than likely the route I will go thanks for the input I’ll look those camera’s up.

I would go with a DSLR, you just have more options with filters and settings than a camcorder, you can also always upgrade lenses when you would like to... buy used!

Wapiti1

WKR
Willing to stretch the budget a little if I’m going to go with the camera/video option just want something of decent quality that will fit her needs and after what Joel said that’s more than likely the route I will go thanks for the input I’ll look those camera’s up.
I suggest those because they take great video/photos, are small and are very easy to use. DSLR is great too, but bigger and more fiddly with settings, etc.

I am a proponent of take the camera that you like to use more than the one that takes the best photo or video. Most people will leave bigger, less convenient cameras at home and only get them out when its "worth it".

A camera that works well and fits in your pocket or purse (assuming you carry a purse, hehe) can go anywhere all the time and will absolutely get used more. A big plus for kids sporting events, birthdays, Christmas, etc. Easy gets used, hard just doesn't.

Jeremy

OP
Jd259

Jd259

WKR
I suggest those because they take great video/photos, are small and are very easy to use. DSLR is great too, but bigger and more fiddly with settings, etc.

I am a proponent of take the camera that you like to use more than the one that takes the best photo or video. Most people will leave bigger, less convenient cameras at home and only get them out when its "worth it".

A camera that works well and fits in your pocket or purse (assuming you carry a purse, hehe) can go anywhere all the time and will absolutely get used more. A big plus for kids sporting events, birthdays, Christmas, etc. Easy gets used, hard just doesn't.

Jeremy
Yup that all makes sense (minus the purse lol) I’m going to look into those and give Joel at camera land a call and see what he can do for me thanks again!