Vivobarefoot Novus Mid size (or user error) issue

fwafwow

WKR
I just received my 3rd and 4th pair of Vivobarefoot shoes. i've got problems, as some are aware. The bottom two below are the newest:
  1. Primus Trail II FG (ugly AF in light blue) - US size 12
  2. Tracker Forest ESC (awesome) - US size 11
  3. Novus Mid - US size 11
  4. Tracker Decon Low FG2 (seem great) - US size 11
The Novus Mid don't fit. Not even close. I could not get them on my feet without removing the laces from the top eyelets, and then they felt super tight, and uncomfortable enough that I can't wear them. (FWIW, all but #1 above say "This Vivo fits true to size." For the Primus, it says "This Vivo fits small, so we suggest moving one size up."). And they are so far off that I wonder if even a 13 or higher would work.

Anyone have any similar experience, either with the Novus, or any of the other models? Yes, I emailed CS.

sglass

FNG
Can I ask what drew you towards barefoot style shoes. I have issues any time I introduce a heel in a boot. Thinking of trying the barefoot route

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Can I ask what drew you towards barefoot style shoes. I have issues any time I introduce a heel in a boot. Thinking of trying the barefoot route
Sure, but others can probably give better answers. Short answer is that I read about “zero drop” and “minimalist” shoes on this site. Primarily for the wider toe box so my toes and feet aren’t pinched, and also for walking without heels (although that takes some getting used to).

WesCAtoll

Lil-Rokslider
Helps with balance, strengthening all the muscles that atrophy in modern shoes or ones with arches. Allows you to run on the pads/balls of your feet easier which is better for your joints, modern shoes have to put all the foam padding in the heel to make up for foot striking wrong.

sglass

FNG
Right on. I think I will give zero drop a try. It did not use to bother me but now anytime I wear an elevated heel my lower back and hips almost instantly start to ache and I feel like I am fighting to get back in alignment if that makes sense. Thanks for the info.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Right on. I think I will give zero drop a try. It did not use to bother me but now anytime I wear an elevated heel my lower back and hips almost instantly start to ache and I feel like I am fighting to get back in alignment if that makes sense. Thanks for the info.
Take it easy at first. The transition can be painful too if you go too hard.

Seeknelk

WKR
Yes take it easy for quite a while. I've been wearing various zero drop shoes Altra lone peak, and Lems Boots at work everyday as a plumber from light commercial to residential. Lots of steps per day, and lately I've developed heel pain on the tendon attachment area on back of heel. I don't know why now of.all times?! I've been wearing this type for 2 years most of the time, not all, but a lot.
So just saying , pay attention to how things feel and don't push it.

WesCAtoll

Lil-Rokslider
I've been wearing the Nike Free Run 5.0 for the extra padding but have also worn Vibram 5 fingers and they're fine, you just literally feel everything . You'll notice it in the front of your shins the most at first, however they never bothered me enough that I had to take breaks.
I Get way less plantar foot cramps now I that I go barefoot as soon as my arched work boots are off for the day.

sglass

FNG
That's solid info because I definitely would have been stubborn and just kept on truckin!

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
That's solid info because I definitely would have been stubborn and just kept on truckin!
I did that, even after being warned. I still fall into the old heel strike habit and have a current nasty blister from doing so recently

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Maybe I'm seeing AI-bots everywhere, so since I accused @Zerk of the possibly being one, here's my latest crazy delusion. After emailing Vivo CS (with basically my OP), here's the the reply I got, some of which I have summarized for brevity. This reply could be karma. Bracketed text is from ChatGPT, italics are my muddled thoughts. In my reply, I did say that I questioned her humanity.

[Greetings fwafwow],

[Small talk + apology about "sizing".]

"As standard, we would advise you to choose your usual US size for most models, but some of our shoes can come up a bit smaller or bigger (??) – this is noted in the sizing area on the product page. Also, we sometimes find that runners like their running shoes to run large, so go for a size up, but this is down to personal preference." I said in my email the shoes were too small. And that their webpage said nothing about sizing up or down.

"Please also bear in mind, that our shoes are meant to deliberately fit big. This is because we recommend having a thumb’s width of space between the big toe and the end of the shoe to allow the foot to spread as nature intended. If you haven't worn barefoot previously, then our shoes may feel unnaturally big to begin with. Accordingly, if you've worn barefoot style shoes for a few years, it is not uncommon for your feet to go up a size over time." Uh.... what? I told you these are too small. If I've not worn barefoot shoes previously? I have just purchased my 4th pair from you. WTF?

"Since you've purchased your shoes directly from us in the last six months you will be able to take advantage of our Sustainable Guarantee which is 100 day trial on which your order is included and we are more than happy to offer a full refund even if they have been worn." Cool - but what effing size allows me to put the shoes on?

[blah blah blah - have a good weekend.]

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe I'm seeing AI-bots everywhere, so since I accused @Zerk of the possibly being one, here's my latest crazy delusion. After emailing Vivo CS (with basically my OP), here's the the reply I got, some of which I have summarized for brevity. This reply could be karma. Bracketed text is from ChatGPT, italics are my muddled thoughts. In my reply, I did say that I questioned her humanity.

[Greetings fwafwow],

[Small talk + apology about "sizing".]

"As standard, we would advise you to choose your usual US size for most models, but some of our shoes can come up a bit smaller or bigger (??) – this is noted in the sizing area on the product page. Also, we sometimes find that runners like their running shoes to run large, so go for a size up, but this is down to personal preference." I said in my email the shoes were too small. And that their webpage said nothing about sizing up or down.

"Please also bear in mind, that our shoes are meant to deliberately fit big. This is because we recommend having a thumb’s width of space between the big toe and the end of the shoe to allow the foot to spread as nature intended. If you haven't worn barefoot previously, then our shoes may feel unnaturally big to begin with. Accordingly, if you've worn barefoot style shoes for a few years, it is not uncommon for your feet to go up a size over time." Uh.... what? I told you these are too small. If I've not worn barefoot shoes previously? I have just purchased my 4th pair from you. WTF?

"Since you've purchased your shoes directly from us in the last six months you will be able to take advantage of our Sustainable Guarantee which is 100 day trial on which your order is included and we are more than happy to offer a full refund even if they have been worn." Cool - but what effing size allows me to put the shoes on?

[blah blah blah - have a good weekend.]
Well one thing is for certain machines are smarter than you, and I can see why would be paranoid.

Everyone using a leupold scope must be a bot.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Well one thing is for certain machines are smarter than you, and I can see why would be paranoid.

Everyone using a leupold scope must be a bot.
Huh. I thought tagging you in this thread would be an obvious as a sign of self deprecation. Guess it didn’t get received that way.

So when you have work boot feet, like curled under toes, big ass Bunyan's off the sides, is there something to start with?

I can send pics if it will help.

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
Huh. I thought tagging you in this thread would be an obvious as a sign of self deprecation. Guess it didn’t get received that way.
No I knew what you meant. Just think the AI post in my thread was dumb.

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
You type in broken English- same as a bot or Chinese instructions translated to English. No offense if you're a real person! :ROFLMAO:
When I get my first check from the forum, I am going to hire an editor.