Vortex Crossfire II OR Alternate

Vaultman

WKR
I have a friend that thinks he wants to put a Vortex Crossfire II, (6-24*50) on a 300 WM he won. This is a hunting rifle, out to say 400 yds. I think I know how most would answer the first Question, but how about both Q's?
1. Would the Crossfire II 6-24*50 be a good option (what about a 4-12*40, or whatever they make)? Say with good base/rings setup?
2. What are some other cost comparable options? I am a Zeiss V4 guy, but I do not have one lying around to give him and I doubt he wants to spend that kinda coin. I do not know if he'd be one to try something used (like in our classifieds), so looking for a comparable NIB cost.

Any advice helps. Thanks.

I use the first gen Crossfire on my .17HMR. Works perfectly fine but, it feels "fragile" and light. I wouldn't trust it on a .300wm.

I've got that exact scope on a 270 that I won in a raffle. It held up last year and I have no complaints about the scope.

There's plenty of sturdier options than a Crossfire II. Those scopes have their place in the market, but a 300 WM is not their place. It'll eat the Crossfire for lunch. As @Rob5589 said above, they just feel fragile. And the glass quality in that 6-24 will suffer incredibly. When your budget is limited, never buy the cheapest optic with the highest magnification. It's a recipe for frustration.

If his budget is limited, see if you can get him to save his pennies and push his budget to $5 or $600. He will jump immensely in all facets of optic quality, from reliability to ruggedness. Burris builds some decent optics at the 500-ish mark, so does Meopta. Vortex's Viper HS comes in a 2.5-10 and a 4-16 for that price as well, those would be good ones to steer him towards as well.

The easy button is an SWFA SS fixed power for $300. I've got 2 of them (haven't had them for super long) but so far so good. But the eye relief might be a wee bit tight for a 300 WM.

Contact @gr8fuldoug with @Camera Land and I'm sure they'll get him fixed up nicely! They took good care of me on a new scope earlier this year for the X Bolt, can't speak highly enough of them!

Last edited:
That’s a lot of magnification for a 400 yd max range.
I agree. He mentioned the power (6-24), and I came up with the range, based on where I know he hunts.
That is why I would recommend something lower. Up to 14 seems like plenty.

I've got a Crossfire II on a .22-250, with good bases and rings. It's dead accurate on that gun, but that's a .22-250 with very low recoil. I don't think I'd trust it on magnum cartridge like that

Anyone use or know (good or bad) about the Maven CRS.1 3-12x40?
That is another one I am seeing, in the realm of some of the Meopta scopes.

You can buy a STAC from Cameraland for about the same price that will stomp that CrossPile II. Nearly the same weight, WAY better turrets and glass. Great eye relief for a hard kicker. One of the toughest scopes around in that price range too.
$300 and it aint made in China.
3-16x42

4-20x50.....i prefer this one over the 3-16 and ive got both.

Back