vortex options

WhiteRubi

FNG
As I work for a retailer part-time, I get a pretty hefty discount on Vortex (50-60% off)
I need to upgraded my binos and I also need to get into a spotting scope. Now I have a few questions.

Binos: Should I spend the extra money here or on the spotter? (Vipers vs Razors)
Spotting scope: should I focus more money here (same deal, Viper vs Razor HD)
Angled or straight eyepiece?
realistic tripod height for a guy that 5'8"
Power?

Currently hunting in KY but plan to do more western bow hunting every year.

My thought is obviously one will get way more use than the other. At This point, even with the great discount, I cant afford Razors in both spotters and binos.
So lets hear it fellas.

trdhunter

WKR
For me I would put the more money towards binos. I use my binos all day long and on every hunt, scouting, etc. There are times I dont pack the spotter or give it minimal use.

Grumman

WKR
I would spend more on binos personally as you will get more use out of them in KY. Put a good set of binos on a tripod and you may decide to skip a spotter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally agree! Quality binos paired with a tripod is hard to beat. And if you want you could go with a doubler and save $$$ and weight. Just my $.02

OP
WhiteRubi

WhiteRubi

FNG
Thanks fellas. Looks like new binos are up first. I am used to 10x42s here in central ky. Should I just up my power/objective for western hunts?

10x42 is plenty, I like 8x32 as well.

Yes! 10x42 is plenty. I learned the hard way and started with a pair of 15x50s. They were good compared to nothing else but I realized that I was limiting my fov and opportunities to find game. Good glass and less magnification is better than mediocre glass and higher magnification. IMO.

OP
WhiteRubi

WhiteRubi

FNG
I bet Vortex and your employer would both be thrilled to see you posted this online.
Its pretty well common knowledge that as an employee of a sporting goods retailer, we get discounts and 3point5. Our discount in the store isn't great and many of the benefits through 3point5 are better than than store discounts. I'm not sure why either would be upset. If they were, I'm sure they wouldn't participate in the program. :confused:

OP
WhiteRubi

WhiteRubi

FNG
Also, I didn't post that for any another reason than to eliminate suggestions of other brands. We don't sell a lot of top end optics and I've been happy with the vortex stuff I have.