Vortex uhd 10x50 vs maven b2 11x45

Thess87

WKR
Title says it. Clarity, durability, I have the mavens. Wondering if it’s worth upgrading.

nobody

WKR
I’ve played with both, and compared them all side by side quite a bit. They’re legitimately the same optic. The UHD’s, B2’s, and Sig Zulu 9’s and 10’s are all out of the same factory in Kamakura Japan, only difference is the proprietary coatings on the lenses. Owning the Mavens, UHD’s themselves won’t be an upgrade. The opposite is also true. It’s just a lateral move from one to the other.

That said, because of the additional magnification and smaller objective on the Maven’s, the exit pupil will be smaller and therefore be dimmer in low light than the 10x50 UHD’s. The better comparison would be the 12x50 UHD’s. And even then, the UHD’s aren’t better than the Maven’s, and the Maven’s aren’t better than the UHD’s.

EDIT TO ADD: I currently own the UHD’s. They’re great. I wouldn’t trade or sell them to buy mavens. Not because the mavens are a downgrade, just because they’re not an upgrade. When I do sell them and move on, it will be for a set of Leica’s. Until then, no shopping for this guy.

Last edited:
OP
Thess87

Thess87

WKR
I’ve played with both, and compared them all side by side quite a bit. They’re legitimately the same optic. The UHD’s, B2’s, and Sig Zulu 9’s and 10’s are all out of the same factory in Kamakura Japan, only difference is the proprietary coatings on the lenses. Owning the Mavens, UHD’s themselves won’t be an upgrade. The opposite is also true. It’s just a lateral move from one to the other.

That said, because of the additional magnification and smaller objective on the Maven’s, the exit pupil will be smaller and therefore be dimmer in low light than the 10x50 UHD’s. The better comparison would be the 12x50 UHD’s. And even then, the UHD’s aren’t better than the Maven’s, and the Maven’s aren’t better than the UHD’s.

EDIT TO ADD: I currently own the UHD’s. They’re great. I wouldn’t trade or sell them to buy mavens. Not because the mavens are a downgrade, just because they’re not an upgrade. When I do sell them and move on, it will be for a set of Leica’s. Until then, no shopping for this guy.
Thank you much that’s what I was wondering. My wife has an older set of pro guides and we just returned from a trip. I was very disappointed that my b2s did not seem to blow them outa the water like I thought they should. So I was thinking about upgrading

nobody

WKR
Thank you much that’s what I was wondering. My wife has an older set of pro guides and we just returned from a trip. I was very disappointed that my b2s did not seem to blow them outa the water like I thought they should. So I was thinking about upgrading
Did you compare them in low light or poor quality light? Seems like a dumb question I know, but I would think the B2’s would blow those pro guides out of the water in those situations, which is honestly the most critical timeframe anyways. Heck even my Maven C1’s I had prior to the UHD’s were eons better than the pro guides I had experience with.

OP
Thess87

Thess87

WKR
Honestly that’s what I thought. Im gonna take them out this afternoon/evening and see if it’s the same. But all light they were different. I know that evening I finished with the pro guides. I agree with everything you’ve said that’s why I’m baffled lol. I’ll let ya know

Highlands Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I thought the Maven B2 11x45 binos were very disappointing. The pair I looked through were dark; to much magnification for the 45 mm objective. The 9x45s were much better and the B6 10x50 are very bright as well (I currently own these).
I would move on from the 11x45, and go to a 9x45 or 10x50.

nobody

WKR
Honestly that’s what I thought. Im gonna take them out this afternoon/evening and see if it’s the same. But all light they were different. I know that evening I finished with the pro guides. I agree with everything you’ve said that’s why I’m baffled lol. I’ll let ya know
Most of that probably has to do with the smaller exit pupil of the 11x45. They're not bad binos at all, but they are dimmer for sure from what I've seen. The 9x45's are awesome from what I've seen, and if you want to make a change that's where I would go. I bet you could find somebody to trade you straight up for your 11's.

I have the Vortex UHD's in 12x50 and 18x56. I did a lot of homework before I bought them and liked them much more than any Mavens I looked at. The good thing about the Vortex UHD 10x50's over the 12x50's and the 18x56's, you do not HAVE to have a bipod or tripod with them. I really have to use the tripod or bibod with the higher magnifications.

Another reason I went with the Vortex is their Warranty. I even went with the Vortex Razor spotting scope. I think for the money, quality and the warranty, Vortex is the best all around deal. JMO

OP
Thess87

Thess87

WKR
98A4AC5C-66E5-4818-BD6C-105CD3292403.jpeg04E13CDD-4ECD-4ABC-8C60-DAB649B659CB.jpeg
Fist pic is 10x50 Mojave pro guides, second is 11x45. the trees are probably 5/8 of a mile away. Second pic came out a touch outa focus but that kinda haze on the 11x45s is what I’m talking about

OP
Thess87

Thess87

WKR
Another reason I went with the Vortex is their Warranty. I even went with the Vortex Razor spotting scope. I think for the money, quality and the warranty, Vortex is the best all around deal. JMO
No argument but I will say I’ve had a couple deals with maven warranty and they have went above and beyond at no charge to me. Haven’t dealt with vortex but I have not gripe about maven warranty