Vortex UHD vs Swarovski

OP
Drew

Drew

FNG
I spent a short time behind them last week. Compared current gen UHD, SLC HD and EL’s. Everything they had at the store. I’ve been glassing with Swarovski for 20 years. In common hunting magnification, I walked away thinking they were impressive:

18 power - UHD 18x56 - great piece of glass. Could see it being very popular and selling well for multiple purposes. I have access to the SLC and SLC HD 15’s and would not buy it over the SLC HD 15’s personally. But if I were going the Vortex route, I would definitely own it.

12 power - EL 12x50 > UHD 12x50 - the UHD feels similar to the HD model, slightly better. Not EL level. If you need a 12x, it’s very good.

10 power - EL 10x42 > UHD 10x50 > UHD 10x42 > SLC 10x42. The 10x50’s are stunning. Stable, solid in the hand. Immersive view, bright, closest to the EL 10x42. Still lightweight but not too light. My favor it’s of the day.

8 power - EL 8x32 > UHD 8x42. I preferred the UHD 10x42 to the SLC 10x42 even.

Overall, I got along best with the UHD 18x56, 10x50, and 8X42.
Thanks for the input. Why do you prefer the 10x50 UHD over the 10x42?

Thanks for the input. Why do you prefer the 10x50 UHD over the 10x42?

It actually was the 10x50 HD, my mistake.

The 50 had easier eye placement. Easier to use without blackout.

I liked the 10x42 UHD as well. Great glass. Stable in the hand because of the added weight.

OP
Drew

Drew

FNG
It actually was the 10x50 HD, my mistake.

The 50 had easier eye placement. Easier to use without blackout.

I liked the 10x42 UHD as well. Great glass. Stable in the hand because of the added weight.
I was having trouble with blackout on the 10x42s. Do you think the 12x50s would be better?

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents on this. Comparing the UHD 10x42's to the SLC's, we found the UHD's had a bit higher resolution in the center, but not as good further towards the edge as the SLC's. The SLC's just feel more comfortable, and still crisper in low light. My choice in 10x42's are the SLC's.
However comparing the UHD 18's to the SLC 15's, i found myself appreciating the extra 3x in the field, and again, found slightly better resolution than the SLC's. Off hand (which rarely happens) the 15's were again more comfortable, but on a tripod the UHD's would be my choice. If i were in the market for a high power bino, the UHD's would be my first choice.

generalist

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't looked through the UHD, but I'm familiar with binos that use the Abbe Koenig system. What you get in optical quality, you're giving up in form factor IMO. The UHDs are big, just like some of the Mavens (same AK system).

Compliments of S&S Archery. They did a review.

I was having trouble with blackout on the 10x42s. Do you think the 12x50s would be better?

Yes the 50’s are better for blackout because of weight - stabilization of the bino exit pupil. If you can hold them steady it’s one less thing to misalign your view.

If I were to buy the Razor kit over Swaro it would be UHD 8x, 12x, 18x or HD 10x50, UHD 18x.

If I were to buy the Swaro kit over the razor, to compete with the 18x, it would be SLC HD 8x42, 15x56.

For the two bino kit, not a huge price difference there.

The size and weight advantage of the SLC HD 10x42 doesn’t factor here because I can resolve more handheld, for longer intervals, with the 8x and 10x50 because of its weight. It’s great glass, just not for my uses.

OP
Drew

Drew

FNG
Yes the 50’s are better for blackout because of weight - stabilization of the bino exit pupil. If you can hold them steady it’s one less thing to misalign your view.

If I were to buy the Razor kit over Swaro it would be UHD 8x, 12x, 18x or HD 10x50, UHD 18x.

If I were to buy the Swaro kit over the razor, to compete with the 18x, it would be SLC HD 8x42, 15x56.

For the two bino kit, not a huge price difference there.

The size and weight advantage of the SLC HD 10x42 doesn’t factor here because I can resolve more handheld, for longer intervals, with the 8x and 10x50 because of its weight. It’s great glass, just not for my uses.
Ok it sounds like I need to get my hands on a set of SLC HD to see if they work better for me.

timberbuck

Lil-Rokslider
SLC rules in its price point period. No getting past that and a Vortex is not going to suffice, neither is a Meostar.

Want me to prove it? Come over and I will enlighten you.

IMO a guy would be doing himself a disservice by not going SLC if there is any way he can afford it.

Samson7x

WKR
This is relevant to my interest as I’m in the market for a 10x42. With the sales on SLCs at the moment, I’m leaning that direction.

Napperm4

WKR
Something else to consider. Not to pick a fight or be controversial but the very fact you’re comparing anything to Swaro with your query is the reason I own swaro.

I tried them all and lost a lot of money on resale for years to find something that was equal to the view I got through swaro glass. Ultimately to end up getting the swaro afterall.

There’s a lot of good options out there but to my eye. Swaro is Swaro. Personally that’s the pinnacle. As best it gets.

So many ask xxx vs Swarovski. Buy the best you can afford. For me I can afford the extra few hundred and won’t be in the field wondering how my new brand xxx compares to the swaro or if I should’ve coughed up that few extra hundred. There’s no question when it comes to vortex vs swaro at that price point for me.

Everyone needs to look for themselves. Plenty of people, after looking through them, choose to not go Swarovski.

OP
Drew

Drew

FNG
Something else to consider. Not to pick a fight or be controversial but the very fact you’re comparing anything to Swaro with your query is the reason I own swaro.

I tried them all and lost a lot of money on resale for years to find something that was equal to the view I got through swaro glass. Ultimately to end up getting the swaro afterall.

There’s a lot of good options out there but to my eye. Swaro is Swaro. Personally that’s the pinnacle. As best it gets.

So many ask xxx vs Swarovski. Buy the best you can afford. For me I can afford the extra few hundred and won’t be in the field wondering how my new brand xxx compares to the swaro or if I should’ve coughed up that few extra hundred. There’s no question when it comes to vortex vs swaro at that price point for me.
You make a very good point and I can’t argue with that logic. Swaro is definitely known for being “the best”. However, technology is always changing. Vortex obviously thinks their UHD binos can compete with other scopes in that price range.

Everyone needs to look for themselves. Plenty of people, after looking through them, choose to not go Swarovski.
And then either convince themselves “there isn’t much difference” even though they know it’s not true or they go buy a pair of Swarovskis.

Napperm4

WKR
You make a very good point and I can’t argue with that logic. Swaro is definitely known for being “the best”. However, technology is always changing. Vortex obviously thinks their UHD binos can compete with other scopes in that price range.

From the technology standpoint though I again give the award to Swarovski against Vortex.

When you buy either Swaro or Vortex you’re putting money in the manufacturer’s pocket.

If we assume the same profit margin for each, with vortex you are paying to subsidize every optic they produce because of their warranty. Every abused, mis used or poor QC lower end optic. Each legit claim. Against every product in every line. That’s a huge amount of money given the number of optics out there. They also only list a spec and make nothing in house. Some assembly but no production.

Both being a business, which has more money and resources to put into R&D at the end of the day?

Not saying that there is anything wrong with the UHD’s. I’ve tried them out in stores just to see. I don’t mind the view through them at all. I just have a few other reasons in mind that I prefer the swaro in that price point.

I've take my pair of Field Pro EL 10x42 and hoofed over to Bass Pro and did a comparison of the UHD and the EL both 10x42. I was waiting for my wife to buy some camo so had a lot of time to kill. I went back and forth with the 2. Mainly looked at the stuffed ducks in the dark corners. UHD were hard to tell apart from the EL and my notes say that I thought the Vortex were "sharper and crisper" while the EL were "brighter and more color, lots more color" UHD were heavier and not as nice to hold as they are just like SLC. EL has an open bridge. I was not able to compare them to the SLC or the razor HD as the shop was out of them. I would be happy with either one if weight were not an issue. Not for me anyway.

I would also think about customer service and I've had issues with both brands going back to the shop. Both my 10x42 Swarovski's have had issues with focus wheel sticking and slipping twice. Both time there were like 8-10 week waits. There is a $50 expedite fee that you can bribe Swarovski to hurry the hell up and get them back. My Vortex Diamonback 8x32 got fuzzy and they were replaced in 2 weeks. I'm not going to get involved with the value or resale but optically it's a crap shoot or coin flip.

My Fckning nearly new 10x42 EL FieldPro have been in the shop with interior condensation (WTF) for 9 weeks and hopefully will be back tomorrow. Supposedly waterproof. HA. Thinking seriously of selling them here and getting Razor 10x42 UHD AND a Henry .357 carbine with the difference.

JGRaider

WKR
You'll take a healthy beating if you ever try and re-sell a Vortex UHD. If you're going to go the UHD route you better look at the SLC first.