Wall tent guidance

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Gents-

Next year our group will be larger and we are going to basecamp hunt instead of bivvy. Having never used a large canvas tent, some help will be appreciated.

5/6 guys
We want a stove
Idaho/MT rifle (we usually see snow)

Truck/trailer will be used for some gear storage

I’d like some suggestions on tent brand/size and stove setups and pros and cons

Thanks in advance-

Had good luck with the Cabela's Alaknak tent. Comfortable space with two guys and a stove in the 12'x12' model, so you'd want a bigger version if you've got 5-6 people.

Jd259

WKR
I’ve got a 14x16 from the wall tent shop with a stove in it and it’ll very comfortably fit four guys but I’d go with the 16x20 for 5-6. Wall tent shop makes a top notch tent I highly recommend them I’ve had mine all over the country in snow and sub zero temps and it’s never let me down and their prices are very reasonable.

I have a 12x14 Davis and have been extremely happy with it as a 2-3 person tent. I would think you would want at least 14x16 for 5 guys and bigger for 6. Don't skimp on the upgrades (eave sleeves, windows, etc), you will be happy you have them. Their frame junction kit is top notch and they give you the measurements to cut your own 1" conduit frame which saves a bunch of money. Mine came with a million stakes, ropes, a tent and junction bag and with the frame and stove I think I have about $2K into it. It's worth every penny on those wet or snowy nights!

gwl79902

WKR
I would go with Davis tent and a four dog stove.https://fourdog.com/

I would go with 2 tents a larger sleeping tent then a smaller cook tent. When the group is smaller you could just take the cook tent.

I have a 14 x 17 and it is too much for solo hunts or just me and my son so I am going to get a 10 x 12 for those trips.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'd get the 16x20 Davis Tent and then decide if you may need a separate cook tent. I'd also get their biggest stove.

I have a 14 x 17 and it is too much for solo hunts or just me and my son so I am going to get a 10 x 12 for those trips.

I use my 14x16 solo every year. It's a joy to come back to, especially if I've spiked out for a couple nights.

Our group of usually 3-4 uses a 14’x16’ Davis tent. We opted for the front porch angles and fly option for a spot to do our cooking. You could make it to your own specs by ordering the fly to different dimensions. We also added a window on the back wall. I guess you could reasonably put 5-6 guys in there for a trip, if you really liked them! We also all went for the Disc-o-bed xl bunk bed cots. This saves a lot of floor space. Even if nobody is sleeping on the one cot you can stash gear on it, instead of in the way. We use the medium stove, which we might look to upgrade to the large. As burn times are not great, but it warms the place up well.

Attachments

• 35D3799E-9DBD-44F3-9995-A83286BDDBEB.jpeg
    35D3799E-9DBD-44F3-9995-A83286BDDBEB.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:

WyoElk

WKR
I have never used anything but a Davis Tent and never will. Their product is top notch and their service is even better.

For 5-6 I think I would look for a 16x20 as a minimum. Depending on what you do for cots that size should suit you well. If it gets tight maybe try some of the disc-o cots mentioned above, they would open up some floor space. I like to have enough room for a couple tables because you never have enough places to set stuff down in a tent.

ericF

WKR
Another vote for Davis Tent. Between my buddy and I we have a 12x14, a 14x16, and a 15x18. We used the 15x18 two weeks ago for first season with 5 people and it is just the right size whereas the 14x16 is great for 4 people. We have butted up tents next to each other quite a few times to create one big long tent depending on the number of people. The general layout in a single tent is cots on the outside perimeter and a 6 foot long table in the center for eating, playing cards, hanging out, etc. with the stove in the corner. As another poster mentioned don't be afraid to get multiple smaller tents for adaptability.

Blackdirt Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a 14x16 Davis wall tent with their biggest stove. Haven’t used it yet as I’m heading to Colorado for my first elk hunt during third rifle. I did set it up in the yard for practice, and I’m impressed. Very easy to set up and take down by myself. I think it would be plenty roomy for 4 and would suffice for 5 or 6 if you really like each other.

cnelk

WKR
Another Davis Tent user here.
I had a custom 10x12 made and it’s perfect for 2 guys.

No matter what size of tent you use, I’d suggest each guy to minimalize their gear so it fits under their cot. makes for a much nicer environment.

I use astro turf for a floor. Makes it nice to walk around in your socks or crocs.

892E7725-3E14-47DF-9130-58F874CCD9FE.jpeg325FB009-A956-4AB3-AE80-DD5540287CB1.jpeg

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
A suggestion.. (this works for a lot of things) call three or four tent companies, ask them "if you were to buy a tent other than theirs, who would they recommend?" From the outside of an industry looking in, there are a lot of things you don't know. You cant always expect an honest answer about their own product but will get answers about which competitor is better. There is a lot that goes into making a quality tent and its not all obvious to the uninitiated. Also, ask around and get to "The Person" who knows!! They will be able to ask you some questions about use and make suggestions for customization. This may not be the person that answers the phone or be the person you talk to working a booth at a sportsmans show.

Davis or Montana Canvas. I had a Davis now have two Montana Canvas. For five or six guys I’d do a 16x20. When you order the tent get a door on each end a canvas “window” on each side. A little venting on cold damp nights can prevent condensation problems.
Get a dozen or so S shaped hooks. Slip those over the internal frame for hanging stuff on. Hang a closet dowel from the ridge pole, great for hanging jackets and boots from.
With five or six guys make sure everyone has their gear in duffle that will slip under their cot.
We got by for a couple of years with one tent, we now use a 14x16 cook tent.

nebhunt

WKR
I used to have a 14x16 tent with a stove and 4 guys was about max for comfort. I sold it and purchased a 16x20 Davis with their largest stove. Now we can get up to 6 guys with no problems. It was a great decision.

I just used a Davis tent in Colorado and would highly recommend it. With a stove in there it definitely keeps it plenty warm. I’m not sure what size we had but we fit 7 cots, a table, bags, and the stove with room to spare