Warmer Backcountry Body Bag?

Liking the idea of the spacious backcountry body bag, however from everything I have seen I don’t think it will be warm enough for my adventures. Anyone know of a similar product that will be warmer. Looking for a rectangular bag or similar, must be 0-10 degree, pack worthy, and synthetic insulation.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Spacious and warm don't normally go together. The more space in the bag the more effort it takes to keep it heated. That's why most 0deg bags are a slimmer cut they are more efficient. A zero degree quilt may be your best option, but most of those have a wait time. A zero degree synthetic bag most likely isn't going to be roomy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Spacious and warm don't normally go together. The more space in the bag the more effort it takes to keep it heated. That's why most 0deg bags are a slimmer cut they are more efficient. A zero degree quilt may be your best option, but most of those have a wait time. A zero degree synthetic bag most likely isn't going to be roomy.

I was assuming that this could be the issue, considering my initial search online turned up next to nothing. I eonder how cold I could get away with by just wearing puffy layers inside, I know I’ve gotten 15 degrees out of my current 30 degree bag.

Anyone pushed the limits with the Kifaru Bodybag?

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
Are you allergic to down or just trying to save money? At those temps, anything worth packing in the backcountry, down fill is going to be your friend for weight and packed size savings in your bag

amp713

WKR
I was assuming that this could be the issue, considering my initial search online turned up next to nothing. I eonder how cold I could get away with by just wearing puffy layers inside, I know I’ve gotten 15 degrees out of my current 30 degree bag.

Anyone pushed the limits with the Kifaru Bodybag?

How cold are you wanting to use it in? What is the rest of your system like. An insulated pad and good shelter make all the difference and your clothes can help as well. I slept in my body bag the last 4 days in mid 30s to 40s and was sweating most of the time.

Get a Kifaru zero degree bag and a Kifaru Woobie and call it good. I have taken that set up down to zero or slightly lower and been plenty warm and I am a cold sleeper. Tie all that in with a high R value sleeping pad and you are good to go.

OP
Are you allergic to down or just trying to save money? At those temps, anything worth packing in the backcountry, down fill is going to be your friend for weight and packed size savings in your bag

I enjoy the money saved, and I don’t like the idea of poor performance when wet. I have always ran synthetic and never ran down, so I can’t really say that based off any real world, negative experience with down. Rightfully, I’ve never had my bag get THAT wet, so maybe I should be more open to down options.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I would run a good down bag, and get an ultralight bivy if concerned about moisture. Still save a ton of weight and pack space.

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
I enjoy the money saved, and I don’t like the idea of poor performance when wet. I have always ran synthetic and never ran down, so I can’t really say that based off any real world, negative experience with down. Rightfully, I’ve never had my bag get THAT wet, so maybe I should be more open to down options.
I think you answered your own question. Go with a good down bag, you'll be much happier at the efficiency and weight savings.

generalist

Lil-Rokslider
I just got my hands on my first "premium" bag, a Western Mountaineering Badger and man is that thing nice. It's got a "roomy" cut, definitely not a mummy bag . I was using the Nemo Argali and though it's a sweet bag and I'll continue to use it at certain times, that 15 degree rating is very optimistic. Packs down nice though though.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I just got my hands on my first "premium" bag, a Western Mountaineering Badger and man is that thing nice. It's got a "roomy" cut, definitely not a mummy bag . I was using the Nemo Argali and though it's a sweet bag and I'll continue to use it at certain times, that 15 degree rating is very optimistic. Packs down nice though though.
The 15 degree rating on that Badger really highlights the comfort rating vs survival rating temps they put on bags huh? Lol

generalist

Lil-Rokslider
The 15 degree rating on that Badger really highlights the comfort rating vs survival rating temps they put on bags huh? Lol

Absolutely. Just by looking at them side by side, the difference is stark. Both are "rated" 15*, but the WM Badger is just a completely different animal.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Absolutely. Just by looking at them side by side, the difference is stark. Both are "rated" 15*, but the WM Badger is just a completely different animal.
And guys wonder why we keep recommending them as a buy once cry once kind of investment.