Washing/ maintaining rain gear

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I wash my Sitka stormfront gear with cold water and let it air dry about once a year. If it is something that has a DWR finish I just use a DWR shop and air dry the same.

listen to beyond the kill ep 143. Lots of good info from one of the Sitka guys. Basically he said just wash you rain gear. Gortex has to be clean to work properly, it can’t breathe if the membrane is dirty.
This. I was oddly scared to wash my gear until I heard these guys and that set me straight.

Jardo

WKR
Only wash occasionally, like maybe every couple years. Sport wash in washing machine and hang to dry. Only real reason to wash would be blood contamination, dirt and mud just hose off.

I hose off blood. Be careful when washing bloody items. Hot water sets blood stains.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jardo

WKR
I had used the nikwax wash-in on a Kuiu Guide jacket and it didn't seem to work very well. When the jacket was new, water would bead right off. After the Nikwax, it soaks up water. Maybe I didn't use enough.

You have to dry it for about 20 minutes after it’s dry. The heat resets the dwr

Jardo

WKR
listen to beyond the kill ep 143. Lots of good info from one of the Sitka guys. Basically he said just wash you rain gear. Gortex has to be clean to work properly, it can’t breathe if the membrane is dirty.

This.

Most people don’t realize dirt and mud prevent gortex from working. This is why most gortex boots leak. You have to keep it clean, drying it in the dryer after clean and dry will reactivate the DWR.

Pay close attention to cleaning and handling of all gortex products. Dried sweat will prevent goretex from working. Think about that and your boots.

keller

WKR
So how or what should you use to wash and dry goretex boots.my danner pronghorns leak bad and aren't very old.