Washington Blacktail question

I Live in MT and I have a brother in law in SW WA and we have been talking about hunting for years. He hasn't gotten out much and I think he's nervous about doing it alone. I figured I'd try to get over there and do a hunt with him during the general rifle hunt this year. I've been doing a lot of e-scouting and research there is some public land in his area but there is a lot of private timber land. I have Onx and go hunt and they help some. My real question is how do I find out which ones allow walk in access and is there a resource available for gaining access. I'm not apposed to paying a fee for it but where can I gain more info?

OP
tkhuntsman
Generally speaking you would look at the recreation section of the land owning logging companies website.

Manulife bough Hancock, so that ones a bit messy to look at.

This might have what you seek:

Thank you I will look into it. We've got a lot of weyerhaeuser land here in Montana as well. It's all either open gate or enrolled in the BMA program.

Thank you I will look into it. We've got a lot of weyerhaeuser land here in Montana as well. It's all either open gate or enrolled in the BMA program.
Didnt Weyerhaeuser sell off their Montana lands to Pine ridge or something like that? Maybe they didn’t sell everything.

OP
tkhuntsman
Didnt Weyerhaeuser sell off their Montana lands to Pine ridge or something like that? Maybe they didn’t sell everything.
They did sell some to pine ridge and some to green diamond but they also kept quite a bit. There's also one called SPP (Southern Pine Plantation) or something like that and a lot of them are conjoined with each other it's hard to decipher sometimes. Mostly they all allow access.

BrentH

WKR
If it’s Weyco land you’re eyeballing, it will require an access permit. Buying a Weyco access permit is a lot like buying a non-res Idaho tag. 😂

I could give you a few tips about the process if you go that route.

just.mark

FNG
The problem with the wayco permit is if your trying to group hunt you will pay 350 plus for vehicle access if your lucky enough to draw it and your only allowed 2 days for a guest and that cost another $100.

OP
tkhuntsman
The best blacktails in western Washington tend to be in people’s backyards unfortunately.
Yeah same for big deer here around home but I don't think either of us are looking for anything great just nice bucks and it gives me an opportunity to help him get his feet under him for the future.

Depending on your location in WA it could be a good idea to get a timber pass. Some farms give them out for free while others cost $350+.

SwiftShot

WKR
I Live in MT and I have a brother in law in SW WA and we have been talking about hunting for years. He hasn't gotten out much and I think he's nervous about doing it alone. I figured I'd try to get over there and do a hunt with him during the general rifle hunt this year. I've been doing a lot of e-scouting and research there is some public land in his area but there is a lot of private timber land. I have Onx and go hunt and they help some. My real question is how do I find out which ones allow walk in access and is there a resource available for gaining access. I'm not apposed to paying a fee for it but where can I gain more info?
Hancock, Weirhauser have trespass fees. There is a website you can buy the permit. It like 75 bucks. I hunt down there, for the last 25 years.

You have to find who owns the land, which company and look for recreation access/rules on their site.

Brownrice

Lil-Rokslider
There is a lot of great opportunity for blacktail in Washington... The pay to play game here is a hit and miss, depending on how dry of year it is it they might just close it for fire danger.

CNewell46

FNG
Drive up North and don’t bother paying for access. Hunt logging area that is open to the public or national forest. Pay to play is always crowded and often has people who don’t have the permit in there

Western Washington is tough you either pay to go private timber land that has been logged, and has clear cuts to find deer. Or public land that has very few units and more people. Your best bet is to buy a pass or find walk in access that few others would be willing to do or a back way in that might be a little tougher to keep others out.

There is a lot of land you do not have to pay to hunt. Gifford Pinchot and lots of timber company land just east out the Gorge. Lots of deer killed every year in the National Forest. But be prepared to hike a little.