Washington High Buck

CNewell46

FNG
Who’s been successful on the Washington high buck hunt? Specifically for blacktails? I’m going for the first time this year and want to see some big old blacktails killed up high

I’ve been successful but no huge blacktails. It’s my favorite Washington season. There is early and late, neither seem to get much pressure due to accessibility and requirement to get out of the truck and hike in to most spots. Certainly looking forward to September.

OP
CNewell46

CNewell46

FNG
I’ve been successful but no huge blacktails. It’s my favorite Washington season. There is early and late, neither seem to get much pressure due to accessibility and requirement to get out of the truck and hike in to most spots. Certainly looking forward to September.
I’m hoping to get away from the pumpkin army this year and stay on the west side. I’ve killed a big mulie. I have killed a few blacktail. None big or mature. This season I’m focusing strictly on blacktail in hopes of killing a mature buck. Hoping maybe to find a giant up high

Fire power

Lil-Rokslider
The Alpine Lakes Wilderness does have pockets of good bucks. Our drop camps did very well in the Alpine GMU 249. Most of our hunters go to the Clark GMU 244 in the Glacier Peak Wilderness.

I’ll be hitting the east side during high buck, but for sure interested in chasing some alpine blacktail later if not tagged out. Most guys I talk to all kill their blacktail in timber cuts or off logging roads. Nothing wrong with that, they fill their tags every year. It that’s just not the kinda hunting I enjoy.
Best of luck, excited to hear how the hunt goes!

OP
CNewell46

CNewell46

FNG
The Alpine Lakes Wilderness does have pockets of good bucks. Our drop camps did very well in the Alpine GMU 249. Most of our hunters go to the Clark GMU 244 in the Glacier Peak Wilderness.
Mt Baker wilderness is pretty much my back yard so that’s where I’ll be going this year

OP
CNewell46

CNewell46

FNG
I’ll be hitting the east side during high buck, but for sure interested in chasing some alpine blacktail later if not tagged out. Most guys I talk to all kill their blacktail in timber cuts or off logging roads. Nothing wrong with that, they fill their tags every year. It that’s just not the kinda hunting I enjoy.
Best of luck, excited to hear how the hunt goes!
I’ve killed all my blacktail in clearcuts or a grass field on the edge of thick timber. None have been big though. I’ve seen some giants but only for about 2 seconds and they gtfo before I can get shot. Hoping to figure out the way to kill mature blacktails every year

OP
CNewell46

CNewell46

FNG
I’m all for game management to continue to have populations and opportunities grow. But this state has more of “let’s make it as hard as possible” mentality.

I’m all for game management to continue to have populations and opportunities grow. But this state has more of “let’s make it as hard as possible” mentality.
I share this sentiment. Do you fish? I am convinced the fishing regs are written to trip people up. Navigating through the summer salmon season on different rivers and marine areas is quite a challenge.

Couple that with illogical decisions like cancelling the spring bear season while keeping it legal to shoot a sow with cubs.

OP
CNewell46

CNewell46

FNG
I share this sentiment. Do you fish? I am convinced the fishing regs are written to trip people up. Navigating through the summer salmon season on different rivers and marine areas is quite a challenge.

Couple that with illogical decisions like cancelling the spring bear season while keeping it legal to shoot a sow with cubs.
I actually have given up fishing. I can no longer spend my money when our fisheries are so miss managed. I live on the Skagit river and the consistently inconsistent seasons for salmon have made me give it up. It’s closed for the season and then a random opening and the same thing every couple years. Won’t spend money on it anymore

landis07

FNG
5,200 elevation 2022 Blacktail
ab51b9262df46c0d0bf6a4665242bc14.jpg

8a5f307a176f683925c5e8ae3aef5aee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
CNewell46

CNewell46

FNG
my plan is to bear hunt and do the high hunt mostly to try and find a spot to hunt blacktails in October. And if I get lucky on the high hunt that’s awesome but I know that last week of October is my best bet

landis07

FNG
I could have shot 4 different Blacktails during the high hunt but the factor of the extreme heat we had last September and the fires I wasn’t going to risk the meat , all 4 bucks were in the same area in October

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk