Weight simulation for backpacking

satchamo

WKR
I'm looking for an affordable option that is adjustable for adding weight to my pack.

Up until now I've used metal plates from my dumbbells but that's getting to be a pain in the ass cuz they make a lot of noise and they sure don't pack well. My first thought was sand bags but I thought the ones at the hardware store like 50 pounds or so but I could be wrong.

I didn't know if anyone had some sort a large dromedary bag or some sort of plastic bags you can add and take sand/water to/from so you can fluctuate the weight as needed.

Any ideas?

colonel00

WKR
Do you have pets? I have used 50lb bags of dog food (kinda bulky though) or a bag of cat litter. Even if you don't have cats, cat litter can be handy to have around to clean up spills in the garage or whatever. Plus, the new bags that the food or litter come in are pretty tough and can hold up well. Not waterproof though.

beetlespin

Lil-Rokslider
I have a huge cabelas tent I throw in for weight or 50-60 pound bags of rock salt that my water softener uses. I add kettle bells in to make adjustments as needed but thinking about making a sand bag for some of my standard weights desired.

Plastic milk jugs or bladders of some kind full of water. When you get to the top, dump the water out for the hike down so your knees don't take a beating.

Bulldawg

WKR
The guys at train to hunt used heavy duty roll top dry bags filled with sand or gravel they had different sizes and colors to differentiate the weight.. Thought about doing this but haven't gotten to it yet been so busy

Archerm

Lil-Rokslider
I use a pillow case full of pea gravel. I keep 70lbs in my pack at all times this time of year. I just lay the pack flat and compress it in place and it stays nicely and doesn't shift when trekking.

martin_shooter

Lil-Rokslider
have you considered putting a towel between plates? Theres enough already owned or 'free' options available that I couldnt see spending money on something to put weight in just for hiking.

kpk

WKR
I use a 50 lb sandbag inside a trash compactor bag so sand doesn't leak out. You could add/subtract to the actual sand bag and just reseal it with packing tape. I have the 50 lb bag in the load shelf and often throw a 25 lb olympic weight wrapped in a blanket inside the bag.

Water, dogfood, pancake mix, rice... anything around the house that packs heavy.

Like mentioned previously, you can also wrap your weights in towels or blankets so they pack more snug and don't shift around.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Crystal geyser 1 gallon water jugs filled with sand or water.
Definitely the cheaper option. Only way I can justify the Brute Force bags is that I use them for workouts as well. IMO sandbags are a lot more fun than barbells and dumbbells. : )

Take-a-knee

Banned
A sandbag won't simulate your load in any meaningful way, the pack won't sit and fit the same because it has a different load in a different position. A lot of guys used to set up an ALICE pack for PT by lashing a steel plate with a piece of pipe (same size as an oly collar) to it. Load it up with plates and put a collar on it. No flopping or shifting. Not sure how doable that would be for a hunting pack unless it has a frame but its just a thought.

A sandbag won't simulate your load in any meaningful way, the pack won't sit and fit the same because it has a different load in a different position. A lot of guys used to set up an ALICE pack for PT by lashing a steel plate with a piece of pipe (same size as an oly collar) to it. Load it up with plates and put a collar on it. No flopping or shifting. Not sure how doable that would be for a hunting pack unless it has a frame but its just a thought.

A sandbag doesn't simulate the load or carry the same, but a rack of plates does? I guess it depends on the load simulated but a bag of sand does a passable job simulating a bag of deboned meat, which is what most guys here are training for.

Take-a-knee

Banned
A sandbag doesn't simulate the load or carry the same, but a rack of plates does? I guess it depends on the load simulated but a bag of sand does a passable job simulating a bag of deboned meat, which is what most guys here are training for.

For starters, I didn't say that it did. My "plate-rack" idea allows you to position/center the weight where it suits you, not just plopping a sandbag in a ruck. A bag of sand is a lot denser than a bag of meat. A five gallon bucket of water weighs about 43#. Never weighed a bucket of sand but it is quite a bit more.

My whole point, that seems to be eluding you, is to have your torso, under your training load, as close as it can be to your loaded (with gear) pack. Center of balance, with heavy sh!t, is sort of important.

Kifaru's now discontinued radio pocket would be good for keeping a dense load where it needs to be. There is a MOLLE version out there that could be modified to work.