Weight simulation for backpacking

For starters, I didn't say that it did. My "plate-rack" idea allows you to position/center the weight where it suits you, not just plopping a sandbag in a ruck. A bag of sand is a lot denser than a bag of meat. A five gallon bucket of water weighs about 43#. Never weighed a bucket of sand but it is quite a bit more.
W
My whole point, that seems to be eluding you, is to have your torso, under your training load, as close as it can be to your loaded (with gear) pack. Center of balance, with heavy sh!t, is sort of important.

Kifaru's now discontinued radio pocket would be good for keeping a dense load where it needs to be. There is a MOLLE version out there that could be modified to work.
Now I understand why you sold all your Kifaru bags and griped to the point of being banned from their forum. You don't understand what they are designed to do, or how they do it. "Plopping a sandbag in a ruck" is a misunderstanding of meat load control, perhaps because you've not had a load of meat on your back? ;)

A bag of sand then, would ride closer to your back and provide a better center of balance than would a bag of meat. How much closer to your back do you need?

My pack has straps that allow me to position my load where I need it to be. Yours does not? Heck my 15 year old Dana mountaineering pack can be adjusted to raise/lower a bag of sand or a load of meat.

Take-a-knee

Banned
A bag of sand then, would ride closer to your back and provide a better center of balance than would a bag of meat. How much closer to your back do you need?

Close to your back isn't the issue (well, sort of). Over the center of your feet is, just like a barbell.

So if a barbell doesn't ride like a bag of meat, how in the world are you training your core muscles to stabilize said load? After all, I'm going into the hills with the intent of packing out elk meat, not barbells.

Seems like a lot of folks are overthinking this when a bag of sand or rock salt is cheap, available, and simulates what we're all hoping to have in our packs.

Take-a-knee

Banned
So if a barbell doesn't ride like a bag of meat, how in the world are you training your core muscles to stabilize said load? After all, I'm going into the hills with the intent of packing out elk meat, not barbells.

You've obviously never read Starting Strength. I forgot you were a cardio man. Enjoy your sandbag.

Dan M

WKR
I'm looking for an affordable option that is adjustable for adding weight to my pack.

Up until now I've used metal plates from my dumbbells but that's getting to be a pain in the ass cuz they make a lot of noise and they sure don't pack well. My first thought was sand bags but I thought the ones at the hardware store like 50 pounds or so but I could be wrong.

I didn't know if anyone had some sort a large dromedary bag or some sort of plastic bags you can add and take sand/water to/from so you can fluctuate the weight as needed.

Any ideas?

I do a lot of training with weight. For my pack carries, I use SealLine Black Canyon 30L Dry Bag ($39.95 at REI) with 100 lbs. of sand inside, exactly like the TTH Challenges. These bags are extremely durable and I haven't had any issues with them tearing. The trick is to use a 2-3 mil contractor trash bag inside to ensure that no sand leaks out. I seal the contractor bag with a zip tie after twisting/folding over the excess for greater assurance. I understand that this option doesn't necessarily give you the modularity that you may be looking for, however if you use them frequently invest in two of them (20 & 30L) to setup two different weights. This will also give you the option of using the lighter weight bag for other exercises. If this option doesn't suite you and you require greater adaptability, invest in a weight vest for everything else. For that I recommend V-Force. I have the 50lb. version which allows me to scale the weight in 2.5lb. increments and IMO this is the best vest on the market.

One other option I use for pack carries is an old military surplus 5 gallon water can filled completely in my Kifaru CP/Duplex Frame setup. Having it completely full keeps the weight from shifting too much. I particularly use this on some local hikes where I can maximize the benefit of hiking up with weight but I dump the weight at the top before running down to save my knees.

Here's a picture below of my Kifaru CP/Duplex Frame loaded with the 100lb. Dry Bag. I don't think there's a way to get the weight any closer to your back without lashing it directly to your body.

Good luck,

Dan

FullSizeRender.jpg

Wow some of you guys are beasts! I found an oblong semi smooth rock that weighs 90 lbs and strapped it in my pack. Have made a couple trips both across canyons and on relatively flat land. I've got a lot of work to do!:) Only about a month and a half to go!

djsmith46

Lil-Rokslider
You've obviously never read Starting Strength. I forgot you were a cardio man. Enjoy your sandbag.

Easy Take-a-Knee. Although you may not be capable of humility or embarrassing yourself, I on the other hand have zero problems pointing out your dogmatic, follow-the-leader approach to training.

You exclaim someone who hasn't read "starting strength," as if its a requisite for meaningful strength training. I've got news for you. 90% of Rippetoe's content has already been published or self-actualized by lifters who have walked the talk. That's not to say his book is bad, just that you continually expose yourself as narrow -minded and short sighted with your incessant citing of, glassman, Rippetoe and Dr. Sears in nearly every thread you contribute to.

You've read a book on strength training (Rippetoe), diet (Sears), and your "Master of Tact" is obviously Greg Glassman. Enjoy your continued inability to communicate with other well-informed grown men.....who more likely than not have accumulated training knowledge through not only Rippetoe et al but through many years of success in the mountains as well as in the gym.

I use the 25# bags of rock salt, de-icer, or water softener that they have out in the winter. I crush up the water softener pellets and they work great for melting the ice off of the pavement.
IceMelt.jpg

Since they are 25# they are easy to use to go up or down in weight. If you want to do something in between just toss in some 1L or 2L bottles of water or soda.

jwatts

WKR
I picked up a 10 packs of sandbags off of Amazon. We pulled up my son's play area in the back yard. I filled up the sand bags with the pea gravel from it. I have a 20, 30, and 40lb bag. You can combine them to get to about any weight you would want to train with.