Weight training programs

NealS02

FNG
I started doing MTNTough in early December and have had super impressive results so far. Everyday is leg day in the program, but in a way that is functional and it isn’t overwhelming. Just a disclaimer though, I have a pretty decent home gym. They do have various programs, however, if you don’t have an elaborate set up. I highly recommend it!

My son in law is a strength coach and put one together for me that’s mostly barbell and kettlebell work. I lift 3-4 days a week.

We also have a kettlebell program at work that’s pretty good. It’s done in circuit fashion, so pretty high intensity for the cardio.

Warmsy

WKR
Develop your own. Understand the energy systems. The difference between muscle hypertrophy, strength, endurance, and periodization designed to target each.
I flailed around for 2 years not doing anything because I couldn't reconcile all the different opinions on the Internet.

Did a 6 week bodyweight program, then did 2 mtntough programs and I really appreciate somebody doing all that thinking for me.

After another year or two maybe I'll be able to comprehend and steer myself.

I develop my own 6-8 weeks blocks from what I learned reading Tactical Barbell. I shift progression and maintenance of all strength and energy systems throughout the year around hunting season. After being disciplined for over seven years now, I realize the only thing that matters is consistency. You should look forward to your workouts.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
After being disciplined for over seven years now, I realize the only thing that matters is consistency.

Bingo! True for strength training, true for aerobic training and pretty much true for any training.

Not a big fan of the "6 week get ready for hunting season plan", train year round if you want to be ready for the mountains :)

LCguy

FNG
Gotta find a split that works for you and more importantly, one you can do consistently. Make sure to incorporated some of the compound lifts, especially squats and deadlifts as these will strengthen a lot of your stabilizing muscles which will protect your back. Me personally, I like to do a push-pull-legs split with deadlifts on leg and pull days. This works for me and I am able to do it consistently, even if I just do one split a week.

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
Find something free or cheap and change it a lot so it stays interesting. I've done the various free daily CrossFit words, street parking, now I'm doing mtntough after their black Friday deal. I've done tons of weight training programs but always gravitate back to some form of 5/3/1

What are some of the training programs you guys have liked?

Looking for one to do at home in my home gym along with heavy pack hiking.

EMOM's - Every Minute On the Minute exercises.

Pick a dozen whole body exercises.

Pull-ups/push-ups/sit-ups with Garhammer/bar-dips/rows/squats/clean-n-press/etc..

Set the weight and reps so that you:
- Start the next set on the next minute.
- Can't complete 10 sets.
- Struggle on that last rep.

Eg.

Say you can do 3 sets of 20 push-ups.

Instead:

Do as many sets as you can (between 8-10) of, say, 10 pushups that take 10 seconds, starting each new set on the next minute (recovery being the remaining 50 seconds of that set minute).

This produces 80-100 pushups, instead of 60.

When you can do 10x10 push-ups EMOM, up the reps to 11. which will lower the set count back down below 10 and the recovery time to 49 seconds, until you can do 10x11 push-ups EMOM.

Keep adding weight or reps when you complete 10 full sets EMOM.

Break the exercises into opposing muscle groups (Pushes and Pulls) and alternate them during the workout.

Then, either split them in half, and do 6 each day, every day, for a 1 hour workout,

or all of them in two hours, every, or every other, day.

You can also compress the workout by pairing opposing lifts in the same minute, like pull-ups and bar-dips, or push-ups and sit-ups.

Cuts the workout time in half, along with the recovery time, so the workout becomes cardio-Aerobic.

GR

Last edited:
If you are looking for more of a straight up gym workout (or garage style) look at ryan humison. He has plenty of free youtube kids to see if you like his stuff.